BASS BARN banner

Bass fishing in Montgomery County (PA)

18K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  j4sstrom 
#1 ·
Hi,

I live in the Jenkintown area. I'm interested in fishing Bass (large/smallmouth) in the county or nearby areas.

Can any of you suggest a good place to fish at? I won't be using a boat.

Thank you

#2 ·
I also live in Jenkintown (Abington twp side). The Pennypack from Huntingdon Valley north holds some smallies. Bradford Resevoir on County Line Road. (611 North, pass WGNAS, make a left on County Line. Maybe 1 mile up on the right. Not really visible from the road. Some nice sized large mouth in there.

#3 ·
Head north and west...Perkiomen Creek and the Schuylkill River are two good streams...

#4 ·
Schuylkill River

I grew up in G-side and live in Flourtown now. River will surprise you if you find spots that don't get a lot of pressure. Conshy to Norristown/Valley Forge are can be very good. If you scale down to trout rod, the Wissa, Perk and Pennypack are fun, and you can get a surprise in higher stained water. I;ve caught 2 pounders in the Wissa around Bells Mill. If you are an Abington Twshp res, Avelthorpe is loaded with bass, and only kids fish there normally. My father goes in the early spring with senkos and kills them.

#8 ·
I grew up in G-side and live in Flourtown now. River will surprise you if you find spots that don't get a lot of pressure. Conshy to Norristown/Valley Forge are can be very good. If you scale down to trout rod, the Wissa, Perk and Pennypack are fun, and you can get a surprise in higher stained water. I;ve caught 2 pounders in the Wissa around Bells Mill. If you are an Abington Twshp res, Avelthorpe is loaded with bass, and only kids fish there normally. My father goes in the early spring with senkos and kills them.
U can kill those bass with senkos

#7 · (Edited)
Yes i am certain they are not pickeral and yes spotted bass

However I dont catch much spotted bass probly only around 8 in the past few years

and the pike i never caught one there but I have seen them in the water and have seen other people catch them there.

To get a pike there you have to put ur time in and cast shiny crankbaits all day

and the spotted bass i get in august while fishing for largemouth

This post has been deleted
#9 · (Edited)
Small mouths in the skuke......1/4 oz brown buck tails or spider jigs, small chartruse sluggos with a size 8 hook.......get a minnow net and catch some minnows or my favorite way is to go down with the ultra light trout gear and turn rocks over and catch a dozen cray fish.....which takes about 10 minutes and toss them live.....plenty of 4 lb smallies swimming in the skuke if you know where to look.....if you want a specific area to look for them send me a pm and I would gladly clue you in on some great river areas as well as some out of the way ponds with 5-6 lb large mouths......if you want to know what a 6 lb large mouth cant resist....check out this pic of my first mate...aka my daughter making bait for me.......they are too big to cast;).....just open the bail and walk aroung the pond with frog in hand......when you see a slob just toss it right on their head....the bull frog always swims straight for the bottom.....they never make it:D.....fishing for frogs is fun;):D

#11 ·
You can always try to sneak in at the little runoff outside the willow grove mall, on the Welsh/Moreland Road side. There are some very nice bass in there. The guards will chase you if the see you, but you can get in there and kinda be blocked from most angles view.;)

worms work in there, as do anything that has a fluttering tail. shiny spinners in higher light conditions.

#28 ·
the paks gotta be 3 hours away, not the place you wanna go not having any idea where to start, especially without a boat. have heard great things about the lake, but its a huge lake and surely would take several sessions before you could start catching anything consistently. if you want to catch picks hit any lake in south jersey, I often stop at a random lake on my to or from the shore and have no trouble catching a few pickerel in a short amount of time.

#30 ·
If you're considering heading to Wallenpaupak, you may want to consider Peck's Pond on 402. Maybe 20-30 minutes closer, accessible from road at a mom&pop store right there that also rents boats reasonably. Not huge, but nice sized LM and some pickerel. Can also get some nice fryingpan-size panfish from time to time as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.