BASS BARN banner

Menantico Sand Ponds

20K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  MargaritaVille 
#1 ·
Last month I fished the Manentico Sand Ponds in the Millville area. We had a good day and got some decent bass and pickerel. A friend recently told me that these ponds are tidal and that you have to be carefull not to get stuck. When I fished it I did not observe any fluctuation of the water levels in any of the ponds. Are they tidal ponds or not? Thanks in advance for your response.

#2 ·
They are tidal, did you go through a small, fast moving creek to get to the back where the islands are at?? If you did, you would have noticed the water going in a certain direction pretty fast (unless you caught the slack tide). The ponds are fed by the maurice river through menantico creek. You can't really get stuck unless you are going under the rail road tressle in the creek..in that case the water gets ripping through there pretty quick and I saw a boat get pinned against the pilings and sink within a matter of about a minute 2 years ago.

#5 ·
We did not go very far up the creek, about 50 yards. I do not remember a rope swing. I remember fishing a downed tree on the left bank. Are all of the ponds affected by the tide, even at the ramp? Is it worth fishing in the creek? We did well in the ponds but nothing in the creek.

#9 ·
Oh, no!

Adam, it's worth it if you can navigate it safely..I've had some awesome days back there...but again. it all depends on tide. Personally, menantico is just not worth the trouble any more. Too many cars getting vandalized and too many shady characters for my liking.
This is some sad news to me. I wasn't aware that there was a problem there. Thanks.

#10 ·
I hardly go back there anymore. Not worth all the idiots back there swimming, drinking, doing God knows what, and then you got a lot of shady people back there. I only fished there once or twice there this past summer. It's ashame. It's such a beautiful place.. :(

#15 ·
:D You should be OK. A big glass boat 18'-20' might have a problem when crossing the middle to the main lake. A few years back during a winter league bass tournament a glass boat got stuck on the sandbar during low tide. They had to get in the water and push the boat. By the way this was in JANUARY!!!:eek:

#37 ·
It is not a venue, but if you fresh water boys want to call it that, go ahead.
It is state land and alot of it. A great area or hunting, fishing, trapping, kayaking, Hiking, Horseback riding and mountain biking. It is Patrolled by the game wardens but noone ever seems to see anything.

But YES it is very sad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.