BASS BARN banner

Pound Test For Trout

16K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  ub1243 
#1 ·
Will 6 lb test work well? (spinning reel, throwin small spinners, spoons, and rapalas)

#11 ·
I used to fish 2 lb when I first starting fishing for trout 30+ years ago. It's fine for bait, but I wouldn't throw anything else with it. 4 is the best all around for trout. You're really not going to catch more fish with 2 than 4. Stocked trout aren't line shy, and the sensitivity difference is minimal. I fish spinners and plugs 90% of the time, and see no marked difference in my success whether I use the spool with 4 or 6, really. I would still go with 4 for bait and 6 for lures. Get more rigs and lures back with 6 lb!

#12 ·
I used to fish 2 lb when I first starting fishing for trout 30+ years ago. It's fine for bait, but I wouldn't throw anything else with it. 4 is the best all around for trout. You're really not going to catch more fish with 2 than 4. Stocked trout aren't line shy, and the sensitivity difference is minimal. I fish spinners and plugs 90% of the time, and see no marked difference in my success whether I use the spool with 4 or 6, really. I would still go with 4 for bait and 6 for lures. Get more rigs and lures back with 6 lb!
The streams that I fish in Potter & Tioga counties are crystal clear. I also fish the Broadhead in Canidensis (sp) these streams are stocked but have plenty of native fish in them and they do shy away from line! These clear streams are the reason I did switch to 2 lb. my brother fishes 4lb and the 2lb seems to outfish the 4lb in this type of water. And we only fish bait with a occasional spinner but not to often.

#16 ·
I suggest you look over your rod and reel.

Your rod should have a line rating - plus - lure rating written on it just after the handle, stick with that.
Your reel will have the same thing, ex. 2lb test @ 150 yd.

#17 ·
I live in the Poconos, that means everything from stocked trout 10" to breeders at 20"+ and even tiny to 12" natives, all 3 native species are possible depending on the water.

Depends on the water and what your fishing for....
Also varies with your rod and reel and rating as someone said too.

Small natives, I have a tiny 4' micro spinning for tight little brooks, fish 2 or lb mono, almost all bait fishing, 16 hooks, single wax or butter worm or garden worm, No weight.

Meduim streams, 5' ugly stik or Ugly stick lite.
4 or 6lb depends what is swimming there.
That is for bait fishing.

However, favorite is going after the bigger holdovers and once a trout reaches 14-16 inches its diet changes to more big things.
So I break out the tiny bass plugs, rebel grasshoppers, tiny rapalas, etc.
For that I use the 5' ugly stik, braid with a 4-6lb diameter, lets me straighten a hook before I loose a lure.
Catch brownies and bows to 23", personal best, that way.

Bigger water and rivers, I will use a noodle rod, 6 or 8lb mono and drift bait.
OR,
Rivers like the Lehigh up here around Jim Thorpe, Love to use bass size lures on a medium spinning rod.
Braid can be used to 8lb diameter but you better have some good flex in the rod or they will bust off with no stretch.
Enough backbone though to put it to them as well as see the plug etc working in the tip.

hth
Good Fishing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.