BASS BARN banner

Alloway Lake-OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!!

14K views 106 replies 36 participants last post by  Dirtypenny725 
#1 ·
:D Another SJ gem (formerly private) opens to the public. This place is a hog factory, loaded with shad. The State repaired the dam and built a ramp for us fishermen. Just make sure you have your boat operators/fishing license, boat registration, trailer registration because a Game Warden is monitoring the place.

A few more months and then its Lake Audrey opening!!!:bow:

#56 ·
For one Bill, I'm not a Fish Devil groupie. I have met him personally and have shared information with him. I also respect him as a fisherman and person in general. So for you to call me names is immature and ignorant and I'd like to straighten that out with you PERSONALLY while I'm fishing your private lake.

Like I said before, it doesn't matter if he said anything or not..it's all over the place..it was going to get beat up no matter what. I doubt that FD's posts brought that many more people to the place. Oh and if you'd like a list of places I fish..here it is.

Sunset Lake and Mary Elmer, both bridgeton
Cedarville lake, Cedarville (lots of big bass in there) and Co-Op
Davis Mill, (lots of big bass there too)
Salem Canal, off rt 40.
South Vineland Park, Vineland
Union Lake, Millville
Menantico, Millville
Malaga Lake, Malaga
Maurice River, Millville
East Creek, Dennisville :thumbsdown: Place is good for pickeral mostly.

There's more..if you want anything more about any of them just ask and I'll tell ya.

#62 · (Edited)
I don't think the internet should be a blame about this place bringing in loads of people. I have read about Alloway lake in Ike's book and how he caught large bass there so that could draw people in and by chance it could be open to the public at the time. I found out about the bass barn from a friend as most people on here I am sure have so if we found out about this site from a friend what is to say we wouldn't tell a friend about the lake in due time. I think we should stop arguing about it and think about how most of us in due time next year who haven't met each other will have a chance to. I am thankful to have this site to learn information from others as well as the chance I have had to meet Fish Devil in person on a lake as he shared the same information at the time as he did on here later that day. Lets all just have fun and keep on fishing enough said.

P.S. This is my opinion on the whole situation.

#64 ·
I'm looking forward to these "new" places opening up next year to give some of the smaller waters a break.

I can certainly see Bill's point of view and I share it more than I disagree with it. Knowing him from another site, I can say that he is a stand up guy too. He has answered some questions I've asked him through PM's about gear, etc. and I appreciated his responses.

It's not so bad with larger bodies of water but when you're talking about < 20 acres... there's only so much space available, additional pressure, fishing related mortality, etc. can have a much larger effect.

I fish to get away, to clear my head, for the peace and quiet. For me, less is best. I mentioned lakes I fished one time here this year and after I did it, I kind of regretted it for those reasons.

I think alot of what we share is just as relevent without having to post exactly where we were.

Maybe most of us would not go spot chasing, (I have refrained from that though I've been tempted) but there are those that read these boards that would not hesitate and might not care as much about the places we've grown up fishing for 20+ years the way that we do.

I've hauled a few trash cans, and a bike out of one lake this year and damn if the trash cans aren't back in it AGAIN. I hate that! :mad: Not all these actions are from fishermen, but I'm sure you get my point.

Alot has been pointed at Fish Devil as well. Though we may not agree on the finer points of posting the names of small lakes and ponds all over the place, I have definitely benefited from his reports. Even ran into him out on the water one morning this year.

Seeing his posts and the quality fish that are out there have made me fish alot harder, and with success. I caught a few nice quality fish this year by applying myself more. I respect the guy, and I'm not trying to say anything bad about him at all.

Just thought I'd post my thoughts.

Carry on.

#69 ·
Yea we need to figure out a time and place (launching). Waiting for Big Fred to get back to me to let me know about the gate and possible launching area. The gate is locked where the road to the REAL ramp is supposed to be, and I doubt the guy that owns the auto repair shop is going to let us park there, however my dad is friends with him, so I'll look more into that as time goes on.

#70 · (Edited)
Yea we need to figure out a time and place (launching). Waiting for Big Fred to get back to me to let me know about the gate and possible launching area. The gate is locked where the road to the REAL ramp is supposed to be, and I doubt the guy that owns the auto repair shop is going to let us park there, however my dad is friends with him, so I'll look more into that as time goes on.
I hope at least this gentleman gives you permission to park on his lot, I sorta doubt it, just for the fact that some guys think they can do anything and dont give a crap will see you parked there and figure its ok.

I kinda doubt I would fish Alloway, I would need an invite from someone with a jon that meets the regs.(as of now).

#71 ·
I have access to one, but in all honesty I probably won't make it out until next spring or summer. Personally, I'm more about audrey right now. Alloway isn't all the close to me either, it's probably 25-30 minutes away (just a guestimate) and I have plenty of good water within 10 minutes. But I will definitely fish it sooner or later...sounds like a beautiful place.

#72 ·
I'm confused

Local press announced a few months ago that the township had put the public access area up for auction as it could not afford to provide access. Is this not the case? The township recently voted to spread the cost of the dam evenly amoungst all the residents of alloway instead of 60% weighted toward the lake residents. I was irrate because we were told we would not have public access. At least if there is public access my $220 per year for 20 years would go toward something.

#73 ·
hey fd why don't you tell the world about how great the fishing is everywhere geesh man keep some stuff to your self please the pressure these lakes recieve is enough but goin and advertising which lake is hot which new lakes are open is not helping take it down a notch love the reports but try to tone it down a little

#74 ·
Most people already know about these lakes and I'd be willing to bet that the increased pressure is slim to none, its not the pressure you should be worried about its the anglers ethics. If you go to any fish & game office and ask about new lakes you;ll get a lot more info than what Mr. FishDevil is giving out besides your so called new lakes are a well versed topic on others fishing sites.

#84 ·
I should have clarified when I implied that fishing pressure doesn't necessarily have a major effect on lake quality that I was referring to catch & release fishing. Obviously if fishermen remove too many of the needed species or sizes of fish, that could affect the quality of a lake. (Yes, I'm talking about you, bucket fishermen.:))

#92 ·
I fished Alloway Lake years ago very large crappie both black,and white crappie were caught there,I know certain people in Alloway are not happy the lake will be open to the public.When I fished there someone actually called the State Police on me for fishing in the lake I had to show proof I had permission to fish can't wait to fish it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.