BASS BARN banner

G3 and Lowe boats

20K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Lotta Sick Days 
#1 ·
Researching aluminum boats and giving thought to a V-hull around 16' and fairly wide. The Lowe strikes me as having a bit more quality than the G3 and the 1667WT has a floor and offers a bit of storage as well as a live well. Anyone here own a G3 or Lowe and have any comments they'd like to share? Or, perhaps some thoughts regarding another brand.
Thanks
Mike

#2 ·
duranautic 16 foot rowboat you will not be sorry.great stable deep boat for up to 7 persons.aircraft aluminum welded seams.mine is 7 years old and still in showroom condition.check it out before you buy.available with side council step thru model also.i have a 25hp on it and comes up to plane easily with three fishermen inside.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#4 ·
I just checked out the Lowe, it has a decent set up, I'm partial to Lowe, I have a Stinger 16W and love it. I purchased mine at Spring Garden Marina off Rt. 55, they might have the one your looking for in their lot, they have tons of aluminum there, stop by and check it out.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Lowe/G3

I am also looking at the same. I want a side console, would rather have a flat bottom, but the G3 has the console more towards the rear and i want to be able to fish 2 people off the back comfortably. The Lowe has the console closer to bow and back of boat is more open. Problem for me is I would rather have the Yamaha motor, Not the Mercury. The Lowe boat is sweet. Good luck.

#6 · (Edited)
Comparison between 17 footers.

The Lowe is much wider and more stable. You give up a lot of speed and max HP is only 75 (raised from 50hp within the last year). They use a Mercury-Motorcrap package

The G3 has a fantastic hull design. If you want to use an aluminum on bigger water like the Delaware and Flats it's a better choice. Max HP is 90. Uses a Yamaha-Minn Kota package. GAMECHANGER. lol.

http://www.g3boats.com/home.php

http://www.loweboats.com/showroom/mod-v/stinger-bass/

#10 ·
I currently have a Lowe 1448, but looking to go a little bigger. I've been looking at the Lowe Roughneck 1655, has storage and shouldn't need any maintance, no wood or carpet. I've always liked flat bottoms better than V's. Whats the main reason people choose V's over flat bottoms?

#11 ·
I currently have a Lowe 1448, but looking to go a little bigger. I've been looking at the Lowe Roughneck 1655, has storage and shouldn't need any maintance, no wood or carpet. I've always liked flat bottoms better than V's. Whats the main reason people choose V's over flat bottoms?
Smoother ride when using a gas motor. Cuts through the water better for more control.

#14 ·
FD82 - Does a V of comparible size, to a flat bottom, have better stability in chop and/or when moving around the boat. And do they draw more water.
I'd rather be in a mod-v than a flat bottom when it comes to chop and stability. The V helps cut through the waves. The flat bottom kind of pushes water. It's like pushing a knife vs a box through water. Which moves easier?

As for draw I believe it's dependent upon the specific boat.

#18 ·
Lowe

Hi, Bass Seeker;
I had a little Lowe flat bottom for years. I used it constantly and never babied it. It performed perfectly. I had to sell it to make ends meet or I'd probably still be using the heck out of it. Based on that I'd rate Lowe quality as excellent.

#21 ·
Shinkering - How easy is it to remove the rear deck and do you have a console? What do you use to push the roughnecks? and with your motor, how easy does it plane loaded? have you been in any rough chop w/it and were you comfortable? thx - that is the exact boat, w/the rear deck, that i am looking to buy.

#22 · (Edited)
I've wondered the same. When I was at Spring Garden I eyeballed the Roughnecks and like the layout, wide beam, room and storage. My concern, as with all Jonboats is how it would handle a chop, big wide lake in wind, wakes, etc. Have you had the Roughneck out on big water? It's the reason why I've looked more toward a Vee.

#25 · (Edited)
I have an all-welded Crestliner deep v. The older Angler model from 2002. Solid boat. I looked at Lowe when I bought mine and thought it would be fine for most situations, but the Crestliner was a tougher boat overall. I have used it in the bay on rough days and stayed dry. They make a no-frills Kodiak (used to be called the Canadian, now the Candadian is more rigged out) if you like the Roughneck idea, only this is in a stable deep v.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.