BASS BARN banner

Minn Kota 30lb thurst - what battery??

22K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Fish Devil 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am going to be picking up a Minn Kota 30lb thrust motor for my Sevylor 12ft HF360. I have heard people suggesting that i get a deep cycle battery but I really have no clue what the heck to get, where to get it, and what it would likely cost. Can anyone offer some advice? I posted this in the tacklebox forum too - hope that is Ok :huh: Thanks :thumbsup:

#2 ·
If you can afford it an AGM (advanced glass mat) deep cycle battery, great. If not a standard deep cycle will work well. I would steer clear of the walmart/costco etc.. I have had good experience with Napa auto parts batteries. A deep cycle battery is designed to handle a long steady draw and be run until almost dead, where as a starting battery is designed to put out more amps quickly and not be drawn down.

#3 ·
Joe - thanks for the reply. I just sent you a follow-up email for some more info. A couple people have suggested an AGM deep cycle battery too. I was honestly hoping to keep the purchase under a $100 but it seems that may be a bit difficult to do if I want something to decent that is going to last a while.

Thanks!

#6 ·
I'm no expert, but

I've been told it is important to have a trickle charger with auto shut off to maintain it. Was told the slower you charge it the better. although it's been some years since I was told that. Anyone have any suggestions for him on charging and maintaining?

#7 · (Edited)
I use a guest onboard charger. If you have one battery and can get electricity to the boat the single output 5 or 6 AMP version is perfect. Plug it in as soon as you get home from fishing and forget about it. If you have to remove the battery from the boat the shumacker marine speedcharger is also good. Again charge it and leave the charger on when you get home until you go out again.

#12 ·
walmart batteries work just fine just bought 3 and u can return them at the end of the season with receipt. and yes trickle charge . or get whats out now called a smart charger thats does it with a built in computer.
Walmart is no longer carrying a warranty on their deep cycles. Too many people returning them at the end of the season is my guess as to why. Their "old stock" still has the warranty stickers and they will honor those, but the ones made recently lack such a warranty.

#13 ·
Even when walmart honored the warranty it was pro-rated on a steep curve for the deep cycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.