BASS BARN banner

Falls township lake

23K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  poolwinner 
#1 ·
Anyone hear any reports or have any reports of their own about this lake. Core creek is prohibited to fish until opening day on April 2nd, so I have no other places to bass fish on my spring break this week. Any info or other places to bass fish would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
Yes it is the lake on Mill creek road. I went there today to give it a try and got the skunk. Were you fishing from shore or did you have a boat? along the shore its really shallow until about 10 feet out n then it seems to drop off. I fished the entire side of the lake without 1 bite but I figured I will go back again n try the other side next time. I talked to one guy and it seems like the only thing biting right now are the crappy.

#7 ·
This is a tough lake, but I've caught more fish from shore than from a canoe. Typically not great numbers, but there are some very nice sized bass out there so it's worth the effort. Part of the challenge is the number of fisherman there who do not practice catch and release. Good luck, let us know how you do.

#8 ·
That lake has fish but major lack of structure. never luck from bank but in canoe caught walleye big largemouth crappie and large bluegills and 2 (two!) tiger muskies!!!!!!!!!!!
fish power easements from boat and all way in back are submerged trees. you need a boat there!!!!!! 40.00 permit for out of falls township get at township bldg. crappie and walleye now.

#12 ·
There was a good amount of people out there fishing today, but I only saw one guy bring in a fish. It seems a lot of people gather around that cove by the parking lot. The spot on the left side with the wooden railing has a pretty good drop off, I fished from there yesterday but nothing. Hopefully the fish start biting there soon.

#13 ·
Yea the day I fished this lake I fished the left side because I parked my car there. The far left corner seemed like it got pretty deep but i didn't realize it gets down to 35ft. I hope to get back there soon to try it out again on the right side. Hopefully have some luck this time. Keep me posted about anymore reports here. Also, people who fish right inside that little cove are going for the crappie (what one guy told me). Good luck to whoever gets out there.:thumbsup:

#15 ·
Got a lot of walleye and some nice bass (by catch when fishing walleye) earlier this year.

Went 2 or 3 times in the last 2 weeks and only threw topwater baits from the shore on the end closest to the ramp. A couple 1-2 pound bass and a bunch of fish rolling over the plug, but it seems to have slowed a little. I only fished last hour or so of daylight until they close up the park.

#18 ·
Thanks guys. I hit the lake after work today with my yak. Mainly to just scout it out for a future trip. found a crappie deep in the center of the lake and a small LMB by the launch area. Lot's of juvenile bass at the far end handing with sunnies. Wind was cranking today making it difficult to drift but the water was crystal clear!

#19 ·
Went out again on the yak and picked up 2 small LMB's by the ramp up to 11 inches on crawlers. Worked my way into the back with nothing but decent sized sunnies. 6 yaks, 1 canoe and 3 boats on the water today with lots of shore line anglers. I was working a DT16 in the center of the lake with no takers. I amagine the bigger fish are deep during the day and extreamly active early morning and late at night when the park is closed. I was paddling back to the launch area around 8:20pm when the place started to show lots of top water action everywhere. Balls of bait fish were boiling followed by big splashes. I am going to try again at first light tomorrow.

On a side note I found a great little bait shop in Tullytown called Bart's. The owner is awesome and worth the plug.

#20 ·
Got out once more but this time from 6-8 in the morning. 2 boats and 1 other yak were fishing today. Bass were crashing top water everywhere for the 1st hour but no hook ups for any of us. I fished crawlers, senko and shallow rapala with nothing to show. One guy missed on what looked like a frog.

I figure the bass were hitting the bait pods so I caught some minnows and wet the line again...Nothing! The action almost stopped instantly. Determined to not get skunked I fish the crawlers again by the ramp and had a nice SMB give me a fight.

Loaded up the gear by 8am to get ready for work.

Any advice for fishing this lake? Bait, lures, technique?

#21 ·
There are a ton of huge carp in that lake that do a lot of splashing and jumping. I'd be willing to bet that most of those splashes were carp and not bass. That sound/sight does get the blood pumping though.

Thanks for the report, may try there tonight right before dark.

Got out once more but this time from 6-8 in the morning. 2 boats and 1 other yak were fishing today. Bass were crashing top water everywhere for the 1st hour but no hook ups for any of us. I fished crawlers, senko and shallow rapala with nothing to show. One guy missed on what looked like a frog.

I figure the bass were hitting the bait pods so I caught some minnows and wet the line again...Nothing! The action almost stopped instantly. Determined to not get skunked I fish the crawlers again by the ramp and had a nice SMB give me a fight.

Loaded up the gear by 8am to get ready for work.

Any advice for fishing this lake? Bait, lures, technique?

#22 ·
I have always done well with senkos in purple or red with red flake colors and then zoom flukes in arkansas shiner and baby bass colored. This is a pretty tough lake sometimes you just have to really fish it hard. Never caught anything on hard baits, so I don't even bother anymore.

#23 ·
Yeah I second this, like I said in my earlier post last summer was awesome not only quantity but the size of the bass I caught as well. This summer the lake in general is seeing way more pressure. Senko's work pretty well for me as well as swim baits. I fish mostly from the shore there so it's not worth fishing hard baits for me nor have I caught anything the times that I have.

#25 ·
Hit the lake in the heat this afternoon after work (1/2 day fish day). I had the place to myself except 2 shore anglers from 1-4. The sun was peaking through the clouds and it was hot. I decided to just paddle all the way around the outside of the lake in stelth mode. I found a few area that were holding heavy pockets of fish. Some decent sized bass were crusing around just a few feet below me. After finding some spots I decided to go to work with the senko & shakey head worms...not even a bite. Thought maybe a spinner would draw a bite but no luck.

As for the crazy top water action the other day. I am sure some of it could have been carp but a few times the bass were coming completely out of the water. I think there is so much live bait in and on the water that artificials are not getting their attention.

#26 ·
I took my son with me today to show him the lake. We fished my spot where I've seen big fish swimming around. He was occupied with and endless pool of sunnies so I went to work on the bass. Senko for 45 minutes no bites, fluke for 30 minutes no bites. Grabbed a big night crawler and hook into a 19 inch LMB! Still can't hook up on anything artificial in this lake. Caught a 12 inch Smallie before calling it a day.

I got to the park at 8:30 and there were already anglers everywhere. The fishing pressure on this lake is thick. Talked to a few other anglers and park security...no one else reported any bass caught.

#27 ·
Hit the park for the last hour or so that it was open. Threw hula poppers and my go to pop-r and didn't even get a hit. First time without a hit in months. Didn't see any other action on the surface either, usually they seem to turn on near dark but the water was like glass.

mang0528 - you're right, the lake does see a lot of anglers. Funny part is I hardly ever see people catching much. There are tons of fish in there though, sometimes in the boat we read depths of 2 feet out in the middle the schools are so thick.

Minus the poppers, I've had trouble getting them on artificials too. This is my first year bass fishing, but I've only gotten 1 or 2 walleyes out there on anything other than nightcrawlers. You'd think a shad pattern would work great with how many are in there, but I still haven't caught on it. Had some walleye follow it to the boat, but no hits.

#28 ·
Hit the lake with my yak right after the rain storm tonight. I was the only boat on the water. 3 groups were fishing from shore that I could see. Once I launched I let the wind put me on a nice drift. I decided to fish the bottom of the lake near the middle in search of some walleye and crappie, but no hook ups at all. Went to my spot and slapped on a Senko determined to catch a bass in this lake on something other than a night crawler. On my third cast I set the hook on a fiesty 10 inch LMB. Had one more bass but too late on the hook set.

Who wants to provide some tips on walleye?

#29 ·
While fishing from the shore, I noticed a guy in a small jon boat with a trolling motor dragging some night crawlers across the bottom but while he was moving the boat he would move real slow and then go in circles. It looked really bizarre but he was the only one out of all the boats catching walleye and perch. Frustrating as hell too because it was right in front of where i was fishing haha. Not sure if this helps but I thought I would share it with you

#32 ·
Falls Report

Fished in my yak from 10am to 2pm today with just one other boat on the water. Overcast skies, cool air temps and clear water.

I tried drifting for walleye for the first hour and only caught a small yellow perch. Moved to my favortie Bass Spot and broke out the plastics. First fish was a fat 14 incher, second was a modest 9. The wind picked up so I headed back to the launch. Spent a little time in the small cove and had one fish throw the hook when it jumped out of the water. Last fish of the day was 11 inches.

On my way home I stopped at Silver lake for a little scouting. There were a bunch of kids on the shore fishing. I showed them how to catch sunnies which made them think I was an awesome fisherman! I surprised myself when my first cast produced a 10 inch red breasted sunny! Has any one else fished this lake from a boat? It is loaded with lilly pads.

#34 ·
Fished in my yak from 10am to 2pm today with just one other boat on the water. Overcast skies, cool air temps and clear water.

I tried drifting for walleye for the first hour and only caught a small yellow perch. Moved to my favortie Bass Spot and broke out the plastics. First fish was a fat 14 incher, second was a modest 9. The wind picked up so I headed back to the launch. Spent a little time in the small cove and had one fish throw the hook when it jumped out of the water. Last fish of the day was 11 inches.

On my way home I stopped at Silver lake for a little scouting. There were a bunch of kids on the shore fishing. I showed them how to catch sunnies which made them think I was an awesome fisherman! I surprised myself when my first cast produced a 10 inch red breasted sunny! Has any one else fished this lake from a boat? It is loaded with lilly pads.
Never from a boat, but yak back into the area where you cant fish from shore, back where the observation deck is, theres some huge bass back there, and you cant fish from shore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.