BASS BARN banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

well im back with another killer post watch this blow up (snakehead massacare)

52K views 295 replies 87 participants last post by  Ron Redington 
#1 ·
so i got done playing hockey today around 4 decided to throw a few on this beautiful day fisrt cast bam second bam had 3 over 3lbs my biggest was 5.5 and had 14 of these assholes total and one bass that was 1.9.... i killed every snakehead and there will be another post tomorrow with more dead i guarentee that.... conditions were well water colder no exact temp and weather was well you know what it was but chatter baits were doing it for these sob's literally every cast i was there for an hour total then i decided i needed a beer.... but hopefully i did my part in helping mother nature out

See less See more
#68 ·
Illegal to possess live Don, you don't have to pitch it in the woods or leave it on the bank if you feel the need to kill it. That is not really "disposing of properly".

Nothing illegal about killing it. Nothing illegal about releasing it. But it is illegal to leave a pile of dead fish behind. And it damn right should be.

RyanF

#70 ·
Disposed of properly. I don't believe pitching them would be considered "wanton waste "as in dumping a deer

So cut em up and use em for bait to catch more heads to cut up for baits to catch more heads to cut up for bait to catch more heads to.......:D

#71 ·
I just dont like killing things. And all i was trying to prove and make clear to people was that it is not illegal to release one after its caught. There isnt a trashcan near every fishing spot, and not everyone is prepared or planning on harvesting everytime they fish, so Are they gona walk miles with a dead invasive fish, or 10 if you end up catching that many? Most people wont, and you break the law if you leave them on the ground somewhere so looks like they are all going back swimming.

#74 ·
Invasive Fish

Fish identification can be easy for species that you catch often, however this may not be the case for species new to New Jersey waters. An untrained eye can easily mistake species that look similar.

Bowfin are native species, actually dating back 250 million years and should be released unharmed. However, snakeheads are invasive and should be destroyed and submitted to the Division of Fish and Wildlife for verification. Snakeheads have recently been found in the lower Delaware River and some of its tributaries.

American eels are a diadromous native species, using both fresh and marine waters during their lifecycle. These eels are found in nearly every waterbody in New Jersey. American brook lamprey are a harmless native species that serves as an indicator of clean substrate. The Asian swamp eel is an invasive species with documented presence in Silver Lake, a 10-acre waterbody located in Gibbsboro.

Although not a native species, channel catfish are stocked by Fish and Wildlife in select locations as it is a desirable recreational and food species. They do not reproduce in most waters, and in the few where they do, populations do not reach problematic proportions. The flathead catfish is considered an invasive species capable of causing ecological damage by out-competing other recreationally important species for food and habitat. Flatheads have been confirmed in the middle section of the Delaware River. >

link for those of you : http://www.eregulations.com/newjersey/fishing/freshwater/protect-new-jersey’s-waters/

go ahead return them ill just kill them.... i like a fish that a challenge to catch i just dont want to cast anywhere and hook some half stupid toothy think that will just bite anything...

and ryan f dont worry i had 24 seperate burrials for all of them all next to my tomato plants

ill responed to more of you later but i have stuff to do and work tomorrow

#76 ·
you need to watch what is behind you when you post these pictures.

you are spot burning. you have a lot of guys talking about this post.
nothing ruins a fishing spot like a mass migration of the general public. they seem to ruin most spots.
this is why i only fish private lakes. keep the public out and you have a decent fishery and no trash on the banks.

#77 ·
This is ROUND DUCE of this Snakehead issue. Bout a Year Ago same exact subject although some of the player's have changed screen names in defensively sticking up to the invasive critter.

Last go the spot was actually named. Some Dudes were very pissed but although I didn't go running over there and have not nor care to I don't think cars were lined up & down the road with new spot burners waiting for a chance at Snakheads

#78 ·
Cool scammy keep it to yourself as you can see by all the garbage the spot gets beat up everyday... Along with most other good fisheries for us bassers in south jersey... Any public waters is nobodys secret spot... I hate the garbage though.... But like the snakehead im bringing a knife to a gun fight.... For every 1 person thar goes there and cleans up there 10 that throw there trash all over....ever hear the saying dont shat where you eat or sleep i forget exactly how it goes but its something along those lines...

#82 ·
The examples I gave were just simplified to get the point/concept across.

I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time, but mainly for the salt water info. I never felt compelled to join and post until recently.

Hopefully you guys can club enough snakeheads so they don't have to start installing "Snakehead Crossing" signs on NJ roadways that border the waters invested with those pesky foreign invaders.

I'll stick to catching and releasing whatever big fish I can find....

#86 ·
Did you leave the fish there dead to rot, as in the pictures, or did you bring all 24 of them home and plant in your garden.

....cause it sounds like scammy seemed to stumble upon a graveyard of heads killed left to rot; which couldn't be more careless or disrespectful, considering how much you also hate the garbage, we are just wondering if you took them home and buried in your garden like you said?

#90 ·
You want to take your kids back there? its littlered with tampons, needles, condoms, beer bottles, and any other garbage that washes up from the delaware not to mentions the trains that come flying by so i think a few dead fish is the least of your worries....... I dont care what anybody else says.....

#93 ·
I hope so , before it's really to late. Could help the unemployment department. Given people jobs just to kill snakeheads. But maybe we should hold snakehead tournaments instead of LM bass. Time to Lead, Follow, or get the F outta the way. Anyone willing to share on tips and tricks, lures???

#95 ·
The only thing Volcom did wrong was not letting the state take the fish off his hands. We all are encouraged by our states to destroy these INVASIVE fish.
- BUT -
Be warned, If you catch a snakehead in a lake and contact your fish commission and tell them what lake, they will poison the whole lake and kill everything. (Management) Rotenone can be used to eradicate northern snakeheads from lakes and ponds, however this chemical treatment will kill non-target fish species. They can not eradicate a river or creek without difficulty.

Snakeheads are a diverse family of fish native to parts of China, Russia, and Korea.
Northern snakeheads were 1st confirmed in Pennsylvania in July 2004 after an angler caught and preserved two from the 17-acre Meadow Lake in Philadelphia county. PFBC biologists confirmed they were indeed northern snakeheads and captured additional ones from the lake. The lake is part of a maze of interconnected embayments and tidal sloughs and the Commission believes additional snakeheads are likely present elsewhere in the system, including the nearby lower Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers.

Aquatic species banned in Pennsylvania (sale, barter, possession or transportation)
Bighead carp (Hypophtalmichtys nobilis) (Stop Asian Carp)
Black carp (Mylopharyngodon piceus) (Stop Asian Carp)
European rudd (Scardinius erythropthalmus)
Quagga mussel (Dreissena bugensis)
Round goby (Neogobius melanostomus)
Ruffe (Gymnocephalus cernuus)
Rusty crayfish (Orconectes rusticus) (Pennsylvania's Crayfish Problem)
Silver carp (Hypophtalmichtys molitrix) (Stop Asian Carp)
Snakehead (all species)
Tubenose goby (Proterothinus marmoratus)
Zebra mussel (Dreissena polymorpha)
DEFINITIONS
Biodiversity -- The variety of species, their genetic makeup, and the natural communities in which they occur.
Introduced species -- A species living outside of its natural geographic range. Can be deliberately or accidentally introduced or brought into the new ecosystem. Also called exotic, non-native, nuisance or invasive species.
Invasive -- Spreading or taking over. Invasive species often take over or dominate a habitat.
Native -- An animal or plant originating in a region or geographic range. For example, brook trout are native to Pennsylvania.

For the Hunter :
Environment
Freshwater; benthopelagic
Climate / Range
Temperate; 14°C - 22°C / 54°N - 25°N, 111°E - 141°E
Biology
Can stay out of the water for 3 to 4 days at temperatures ranging from 10 to 15°C. Matures at the age of 2 years and length of 30 cm. Spawns in June and July. Eggs are pelagic. Utilized for human consumption.
Human uses
Fisheries: commercial; aquaculture: commercial

#99 ·
Lol, it funny to see many people post stuff about snakehead when they dont know anything about it, first of all, they are fish. so if you take them out of the water for 30-45 mins their slim will dry up and they will die just like any other fish, so i dont know where people get the ideas that they live up to 4 days on land. 2nd all fish will flip and flop around on land, so i also dont know where people get the ideas that snakehead travel 1/4 miles on land. If you look at the snakehead teeth they are made for gripping prey so it cant escape not like piranha where they can bite other fish. Snakehead will only eat what ever that it can swallow whole, so it other fish are bigger then it mouth then it wont touch it. they are stealth hunter so they like to live in very slow moving water like lake and pond, so no need to worry about then in the D river or any other fast moving water, but they will use it to get to lake or pond. You might ask how i know? well i use to live where they mainly came from and have been fishing for them since i was 5-6 year old and came from a family of fisherman. Many on here ask how do they taste? well if they didnt taste good why you thinks all asian country sell them for big money? IMO i m happy that they are here,1 they reproduce and grow faster then bass do, i fish the FDR park from 1991 till now and they not many bass there and not many fisherman only a few kids, but since the snakehead show up from 04 to now i see many more fisherman there trying to catch one. last summer i caught about 6-7 of them first year fishing for them, so give couple more year there will be alot to catch. but if you dont like them pm me and i will show you how to kill them from your lake or pond within a year or 2.

#100 ·
so they like to live in very slow moving water like lake and pond, so no need to worry about then in the D river or any other fast moving water, but they will use it to get to lake or pond.
well, we have different fish then.
they are all over the tidal sections.
the location that the picture fish were caught at has a heck of a tidal flow.

the big D spread those fish very fast. they use it a lot for not liking it.

The only thing Volcom did wrong was not letting the state take the fish off his hands. We all are encouraged by our states to destroy these INVASIVE fish.
the state will not take the fish off your hands. kill them or release them. the CO doesn't have time to come running over for fish collection.

#101 ·
Volcom... i also fish their and have caught many snakeheads. My favorite part is killing them. Those bastards are just annoying. I was fishing their once before and one of those bastards just came onto the bank and started slithering around. Good job in your part o killing them all. Good luck to you this year :thumbsup:

#102 ·
I was just wondering what you mean when you say they are annoying? I have never caught one so that statement interests me. Do they go limp when hooked or do they put up a good fight? Is it more of that you were wanting to catch a bass and the snakeheads just keep taking the lure before a bass can? I know I would get pissed if I had to fight and unhook one on almost every cast too.(?)

#104 ·
I just watched a show on TV where that clown Charlie Moore was catching snakeheads down in FL I think....they would bring em in and hit em with a bat ...:huh:

You have the right to kill them just as you do a carp or whatever other fish the state says you can keep. Throw em in the weeds at least.....just saying.:cool:

#107 ·
It is pathetic how people talk about the bass and trout as invasive species like they talk about the snakehead. Obviously in todays politicaly correct society the state wouldnt tell you to kill all fish from a certain species if they didnt have a good reason behind it. Also, I feel sorry for you fools who say the kid is sadistic or nuts bc he killed those fish, you are probally the same ones blaming video games and tv for your own childrens problems. You then try to bring politics into it by saying that the people who feel we should kill all the snakeheads are the same ones saying for all illegals to go home. Once again, you are probally the ones that think terrorists should have a fair trial and be placed in our justice system because they have rights. No, they blew up our buildings and killed thousands, they dont deserve any rights. Its people like you guys who probally voted for Obama too. Everyone wonders why this country is in so much trouble. Well the truth is this country is full of little bitches and outnumber the real folk 5 to 1. Think about it, it wasnt like this 20 years ago.........

#108 · (Edited)
The only thing I see that is pathetic is that you can not make an intelligent point without silly name calling. It makes your point less valid. Aside from snakeheads I agree with everything else in your post except that the state has the best interests of me and my fellow fishermen. As an example I would cite the disparity between recreational and commercial catch limits. Saying I did or would ever vote for Obama is the lowest form of insult you can hurl at me and I do take offense to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.