BASS BARN banner

Lake Nockamixon Carp???

19K views 65 replies 12 participants last post by  scottwr 
#1 ·
Im trying to fish lake nockamixon for carp this lake and this fish are proving to be difficult for me!!!! I dont want to give up on this i want to land nice carp at this place can somebody help me out advice on fishing spots, some good baits, techniques. Help me please lol.

#47 ·
Probably not a 30lber but most stream and small pond fish are under 8lbs, but a 4lb average is a pretty good sized freshwater fish, though not big for a carp. Even in the streams when they go under the brush piles, if you put the rod tip to the water and put on steady pressure they will swim out if the line doesn't break on something. In a small pond, there is only so far a carp can run...*L*. In one near me I have caught them to 14-15lbs. Not enough room to spool me, but they sometimes break off at the bank since I don't carry a giant net to land them with.

Carp can be very smart where they are heavily fished, so your choices are go to a European method which is more effective or find unknown waters and fish more simply. Feeder creeks can have some carp in them so long as they are pretty slow and not ultra shallow. My favorite carp stream is maybe 12 feet wide and mostly under 3ft. But there are fish bunched up around deeper holes, bridges and log jams. You can chum and sight fish. Also have a pond connecting to a stream which is loaded with carp in March and April. On a warm sunny day you can sight fish them is this pond is about 2 feet deep. Jersey bonefish.

#53 ·
Landed this guy on 4lb test line took a half hour but I got the job done

I know normally the European style calls for heavier line but I normally always use 4-6lb test line then one heavier 12lb test line rod. Since PA you can now have three rods out I'll put of my 4lb 6lb and 12lb. Its a lot of fun catching them on that light line they put up a great fight even the smaller 5lbers can give your reel a workout.

#54 · (Edited)
Deff man... it can be done on light tackle but its very tough ... and when u actually get into some larger ones 15 lb plus youl prob have a lot of trouble. Also depends on where you are fishing too... I assume a creek. or smaller body of water.... ? But again man goodjob... On a hair rig i assume! What did you get him on.? Maize... boilie? Plastic?

#55 ·
I just do it for the challange and I was at a lake for this. I normally only fish lakes or reseviors unless I'm fishing mirrors they're in the creeks. The fish actually took me under a log and I somehow managed to keep it on. If you know what you're doing catching large fish on small lb test isn't as bad as it seems its just a challenge. I caught this guy on a homemade hair rig and canned corn.

#56 ·
haha again man i never said its not posible or fun but im warning you man once you get into some nice fish ur not gonan have as good as a chance. and how would it feel to loose that 30 u been busting ur but for. And what do you mean by mirrors are in creeks? Mirrors can be anywhere...? We have caught all of ours out of lakes... i dont se where your coming from. Like i said to Kwolf... There is a knack to catchign the big carp. 20 plus lbs. They usually are in secluded areas with little human activity and usually are most associated with feedin under a dark sky... because this is when they feel most comftorable . If you look a lot of guys say on average they will catch bigger carp at night... its a proven fact by many. Especially in the summertime. Big carp are so much different. They typically hang alone and dont mix with other smaller specimens. They skirt the outter edges of your bait pile and are very shy. But you have to have a spot that is capable of holding big specimens. Typically when in search for big fish waters theres 3 main things to look for that potentially have big carp writeen all over them. One being little spawning grounds... this means a deep lake with little shallow area. This causes less opportunities for the carp to spawn. Number two a high number of predatory fish to cut down on some of the population therefore creating less competition for food. And then number 3 which kind of runs with number 1... is deep waters. A Deep water will hold cooler temps in the summer but warmer in the winter so it offers more time for the fish to actually grow and gives them better feeding opportunities at all times of the yr. And again you can land a 30 lb carp on 4 lb test... yes it is possible no doubt but it would be very very very tough to control them.. and the bigger they are the smarter they are.. and most likely they will crap all over your puny gear and take you into a snag and or break your line on a strong run. Big carp mean big buisness. All carp fight hard even the small ones... and i can totally see catching the smaller specimens 10 lb and uner on light tackle even up to 15 if you want. The guys that fly fish for them are acheivin the same thing. But to me its not worth loosing my personal best.. pig of a fish. Trut me a solid 15 lb fish plus will give you a run fro your money on the 12 foot noodle euro rods too! Plus with them rods you can bait and fish at up to a few hundred yards... maybe giving yourself the extra edge for a big one. Typically you will often fin the bigger carp in deeper wter in most occasions. Not always but usually... spawn is the time when the big fish leave their homes and visit the shallows tho. Anyways huat my htoughts dont take it personal ot anything!

#58 ·
To be honest dude there could easily be mirors in your lake. They typically aernt that common though. IN some places they are but most they are not. Just because you didnt see one doesnt mean they aernt there dude. I live in Berks Co and we catch um.... Trust me there are mirrors in every county and even in most bodies of water jsut some have more than others.

#60 ·
I didn't mean that European methods will not work on unpressured carp, of course they will. But they are largely unnecessary for them. Plus I like to hunt fish, not sit in the same spot for a few hours. Not sure if this guy wants to put out the cash for new rods and equipment. If he has a 6-7 foot spin rod with 6 or 8lb test, and a can or two of corn, he can catch some unpressured carp. Though most are 2-8lbs in smaller waters, some hold fish in the 20s or bigger if you find areas the bucket brigade have not seen.

#61 ·
I didn't mean that European methods will not work on unpressured carp, of course they will. But they are largely unnecessary for them. Plus I like to hunt fish, not sit in the same spot for a few hours. Not sure if this guy wants to put out the cash for new rods and equipment. If he has a 6-7 foot spin rod with 6 or 8lb test, and a can or two of corn, he can catch some unpressured carp. Though most are 2-8lbs in smaller waters, some hold fish in the 20s or bigger if you find areas the bucket brigade have not seen.
hahahha yessir... Its not unnecessary htough. thats where most ppl miss the point. It is by far more effective.... if fished correctly... and in the right hands. I can say this... because i once to fished like you did. And its a sport... carp fight a lot more than many other freshwater fish. If you know what your doing you can have tons of fun doing it... To each his own man. Jsut saying.... dont discredit it unless you have tried it! I have fished both ways.. .and learned through trial and error i have caught many more fish Euro style... He wanted advice to catch carp so o gave him some... i didnt force anything upon him but its all i pretty much fish for anymore so i offere advice to try and spread the sport. I am a carp addict!

#64 ·
I caught my first carp at lake Nockamixon believe it or not I caught it on a McDonalds French fry. I was there with my family I was young kid so were going back 15 years or so. My brother and I were using rapalas when out of no where my sister and mother say hurry up get over here so my brother and dashed to see what was going on. Here my mom and sister were feeding some ducks the frenchfries when out of no where a school of carp came in and starting feasting on the fries so I decide not to waste time and put a peice of the fry directly on my lure ( I was 15 years old ) and of course the biggest carp of the bunch comes up eats my French fry on the back of my rapala popper takes a run and snaps my line. I quickly throw on a hook with no weight and another fry and caught a 10 lb carp it was awesome considering it was the only fish I caught that day. Good times.... Get some fries and go to town. Hahaha

#66 ·
Wow! I cant believe someone else uses mcdonalds fries to slay carp! My friend and I when we were younger used to fish the wissahickon creek all the time and we tried for probably 2yrs to catch these massive carp that would roam the water in clear sight but we could never get any to take our offerings and we tried everything. One day we had stopped at mcdonalds before we went fishing and one of us got the bright idea to toss a fry out and see what happened...Well we hooked up in minutes with a huge carp and proceeded to land 3 more that day and ever since Ive never caught carp on anything else. I just canno belive someone else has done the same!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.