BASS BARN banner

Lake Nockamixon Carp???

19K views 65 replies 12 participants last post by  scottwr 
#1 ·
Im trying to fish lake nockamixon for carp this lake and this fish are proving to be difficult for me!!!! I dont want to give up on this i want to land nice carp at this place can somebody help me out advice on fishing spots, some good baits, techniques. Help me please lol.

#3 ·
That lake is full of carp. I've had success there using corn soaked overnight in sugar and vanilla extract.

Going north on 313, make a right at north ridge road. Park in the first parking area and walk down to the water, there's a lot of lilly pads but if you can find an open area you'll catch them there.

Also try fishing off the big rocks you see when driving over the first bridge on Mountain View Drive. Big carp there too.

#6 ·
I tried the haycock boat launch today fished for like 3 hours and came up completely empty i used corn soaked in vanilla and a dough bait made of corn meal flour strawberry gelatin vanilla extract and sugar. I just want to start catching some of these fish from what im told about them it is one of the best fights you can get!!!

#7 ·
Euro style!

Kwolf.... i havent fishe nockamixon lake yet but i heard it has a lot of carp... I am a carp fisherman. I fish Euro style... with hair rigs... alarms... the whole nine yards. Me and my buddy caught 211 carp this yr so far. As you said carp aernt EASYT to catch so im not surprised to hear that oyour having trouble catching them. A lot do.Thats all I do anymore. First of all where are you fishing at... whats the depth etc... Instead of just going out and just throwing out... Scout the lake out first. First thing tgo do if you just want to catch carp of any size is just pick an area and watch it. If you see lots of bubbling and splashing thats where you should fish. There may be carp everywhere in the lake but.... you want to find the carp that are feeding. While carp are feeding they kick up quite a bit of mud and cuse lots of bubbles to rise to the surface. Once you find this sort of thing take first thing you want to do is chum. If the bubbling is out to far to chum by hand... Invest in a spod. Its a chumming device us Euro carpers use to bait up areas in the distance that others cant. Very succesful tool used for carp fishing. As far as bait used for chumming pick urself up some horse pellets at the local feedmill and some cracked corn and some whole corn. I get 50 lb bags for around 11 bucks. Horse feed is a little more but still very cheap. Soak your whole maize over night and boil it forf about 30 minutes to soften it up. You can also add any flavor of your choice... add the flavor as soon as its done boiling this is when the corn really will pick up the flavoring. Cracked corn you can just soak overnight and shuld be fine and horsepellets are ready when you buy them. There is some easy bait/chum that you can pick up locally for fairly cheap. As far as using a specific set up... Lookup how to tie a hair rig. A hair rig is a rig used foor carp fishing that allows you to put your bait on the hair (piece of line extending past the hook shank) instead of your hook. The reason why this is so succesful is because your bait does not block the hookpoint at all. Its kind of a complicated concept to wrap your head around at first but if you sit down at a locacl creek/pond/lake and watch how carp feed it might make sense to you someday. They suck in and blow out like a vacuum... with just bait on a hook you dont get the effectiveness as tyou might with other fish because of how carp feed. They dont just bite things they suck them in and really sift through there mouth. When your bait is on the hook you can get a lolipop effect and they can easily eject your hook without a problem. Trust me i have watched carp do this many many many of times. There is nosuch thing as a perfect rig thta will hook a carp every single time but a hair rig deffinately increases your odds on hooking up. As everyother rig there are modifications to the hair rig thats make it more effective but i wont get to crazy on that unless you want me to. Anyways so go scout look for signs of carp as i stated above then chum set up your rods throw out and wait. Chumming is very important... carp can be somewhat docile and wary so it takes sometime for them to get comfotorable. The more you bait an area the more comftorable the crp get especially the big ones. Big carp have totally different habits then small carp do. Im tlking 20 lb plus carp. But i will not get into that either. Carp are a lot harder to catch then some people think... well atleast the big ones are. But they are one of the most rewarding. Most people look at carp as trash fish but they really are not. Infact they feast on mostly crayfish... flies... etc etc. Btw... a good rule to go by is look for carp in shallow waters early morining or late evening through the night. Shallow mudflats amd etc.. I typically like to fish transitioning water or the motuh of a cove... I always do best in places such as these. If you want to catch big carp you have to fish heavy structure or places where ppl dont normally tend to visit unless the carp are offered no other choice. They are one of the most powerful if not the most powerful freshwater fish their is and they are darn wary... more wary than some fish can be. I truly think carp shoudld be a sportfish liek they are in Europe... If you are intersested in this ans want to learn more you can P.M. me or you can also head over to Carpanglersgroup.com and check out their forum ask some questions in the begginer section.

#11 ·
As far as hooks go... go with carp specalist hooks. Trust me they are well worth it... you wull catch many more carp with them. They are the sharpest hooks on the market today and with carps thick gummy lips they are a must for maximum hookups. Fox hooks are my favorite. I like the Fox Arma Points ssc's and the sssp's. I also like the line of Kuro hooks ade by Fox. I like the s'3s the best. As far as size of hook it all depeds on the size of the bait you are using... you have to match up your bait size to hook size, But geberaly most of my fihsing is accompanied by sizes 6 and 4 hooks. So if i were you i would pick up 6's and 4's of them type of hooks. once you learn more baout it you can start to fish different baits such as boilies, chick peas, tigernuts, and even plastics. So if your using a 20mm boilie your goign to wnt a bigger hoook than say you do with just fishing 2 pieces of maize. Before you even fish again go on the sites im goign to give you and order a few essentials... you dont have to go crazy with it but jut get a few things and see how you like carping... you will most likely become addicted and want to buy everything including bite alarms! haha... Order some hooks, hooklink, method leads, a baiting needle, bait stops, shrink tubing and if you want i can tel you some other essntials to get to help you along the way if you are interested jsut ask me. I would also invest in a spod or pult for throwing bait out at ditsances not capable by hand! Anyways make sure when you go to the feed mill and get field corn you bring it home and soak it foor 24 hrs and boil it for 30 minutes... and if you can pick up a bag of horse pellets to.. they work awesome as chum. they have lots of protein in them and carp love them. There are tons of good particles to fish with for carp. And did i mention the term method to you yet... Its a loose crimbly mix that you mold together around your method lead and cast out leaving chum right aroudn your lead. It causes a carpet across the bottom of fine particle and rely gets them nosing around! Anyways here are some links that wil help you out along the way man.... if you have any more questions just feel free to ask. And oh you should make a free membership to CAG then ttoo... youl really learn a lot.

http://www.bigcarptackle.com/store/home.php
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/main/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrbJqnu5z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_ehaty_bo
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackstoneCarp?feature=watch

#13 · (Edited)
Did you fish for carp? Any luck...? What were you using... did you scout at all.. What depth water were you fishing etc.? And i live over near reading pa... How about you? Oh by the way if you can drive and are of age to fish at night i would deffinately do so especially right now in this heat. You will have better success at night right now... i reccomend you try a full overnight seshion! I will be doing this friday night.... Im itching to go... When you go at night tend to stay more shallow too.. i wouldnt go to to awfuk shallow but try an area that would be a transition spot. Like in say 4 to 8 feet of water along a weedbed. Give that a try.... carp generlly move to theshallows at night to feed because this is when they feel most comftorable to do so. Doesnt mean you cannot catch carp in deep water at night though. Like i said try scouting before you even bother throwing your rods out. Yoj want to look for signs of carp bubbling, kicked up silt, loud splashes usually. These things are all indications of feeding carp... sometimes you may see carp cruising on by but they are theones you want to ignore unless you are fishing a specalized rig called the zig rig intended for catching cruising fish but we will not get into that now. Make sure you scout... sometimes in arp fishing the most impotant thing is just watching the water.... it really is true... you have tog think like a carp.

#14 ·
I n the 3rd video down i gave you is an underwater test of the rig i mentiones is my favorite... watch the whole thing... You can truly see the effectiveness of the hair rig in this video... for the first few minutes it doesnt show it but every fish after that is almost hooked which is quite imoressvie. These underwater videos are awesome thanks to Jerome... he does a great job with them and it really teaches you a lot about how carp feed. Their habits and mechanics and such. Very interesting stuff... Mhy theory is well atleast somewhat of one is getting carp in your swim (baited area) is about haldf the battle once you get that going on your odds increase big time. The carp begin to compete with one another for food and they become very gressive and let their guard down... because carp are very wary this doesnt happen to often. You have to create htis by offering them some freebies... trust me it does magic. I love too carp fish its all i do anymore... trust me after you fight some nice carp youl never wanna fish for anything else... They are powerhouses and your always looking to catch bigger and bigger and offcourse some mirror carp and koi too!

#15 ·
I live near quakertown. I was fishing about 4 foot of water today. I did what you said and i looked for signs that the fish where feeding and the spot that i fished at this morning there was alot of bubbling and i saw a few big splashes so i set myself up i threw out about 3 handfulls of corn soaked in vanilla (havent gotten a chance to get to a feed shop yet) and began. I was using Chickpeas with a peice of bread molded around them and corn soaked in vanilla. After about a half hour i had a really strong take i thought here we go!!!! I fought this thing for like maybe 6-7 minutes and got it in only to be dissapointed with it being a huge snapping turtle!!! I have never caught a carp yet so im not sure how they fight!:mad: the only thing i didnt do yet so far was the hair rig i havent gotten a chance to get on and get the carp hooks yet so i was just using the same as i always use size 4 eagle claw snell hooks.

#17 · (Edited)
So 4 foot of water not to bad... your approahc is somewhat on track though... keep on workign on it and read up more ask me and ppl on CAG more questions... you will get a hang of it. Theres other giys better than i am that can give you mdifferent tips and stuff.. you can learn something new from each and every carp angler! and yeah carp fight a lot better than snapping turtles haha.. snappers feel like a tire coming in almost.. lol. Youl know when you get a carp on... make sure when you set down your rod to loosen your drag cuz a carp wil for sure pull in your rod as they run as fast as they can. Like i said go to your local feed shop pick up some sweefeed... or horsepellets... some cracked corn and some whole corn... Throw out quite a bit of chum to start. Prob 10 handfuls spread it out quite a bit. Once you begin to get carp in your swim you will notice signs of them usually. Like splashing bublling right where you baited. As you fish keep on chumming after you get a fish throw in more.. you want to keep them in there and intersetd as long as can be. If you really want great sucess you should prebait an area for a few days prior to actually fishing it. Usualy like 3 days of prebaiting will be good. So go to the feedmill pick up some essentials and order your carp gear. While your waiting for you carp gear take like a 5 gallon bucket of maize and pellet mixed and throw it in the same place every day arpund the same time. Carp are creatures of habit... once they know theres bait in a specific area they will begin to visit and use it often. Dont be scared you will not overfeed them... especially in a big lake like Nocky.... do this for 3 plus days. Then when your gear arrives tie some rigs and head out... when you get there throw in about 10 handfuls to start then see what happens from there on out...let the fish tell you what to do. You will learn overtime! And yes hair rigs work on every body of water... you can fish them anywhere! And as far as materials used to tie a hair... you can use mono or braid... i have still never tried mono yet on my hairs. I use a coated braid and strip a few inches off the coating to make my rigs somewhat supple. Although using a mono or flouro hair could create an effect that they call stiff rigs. I could pictue mono or flouro carbon working because its so stiiff they would have trouble ehecting the hook. But to start out use braid man. Some guys do combi rigs and some een use straight fluro or mono but not many guys do that. I have yet to try it but im going to give it a whirl soon!

#18 ·
I just went on the carpgear site you gave me and i bought the size six pre tied hair rigs. i cant wait for that to get here!!!!! i was also told by somebody to use the egg sinkers instead of regular weight so they cant feel the resistance when they start to go with the bait is this true???

#19 · (Edited)
Oh you bought the pretied...? It is much cheaper to just buy the essentials and tie them yourself but its okay. What rig did you get.? Did you get any other gear? And no actually... most american carpers will use that approach... im sure if you were fihsing baito n the hook it would be good to carolina rig for them but with a hair rig you fish what is called a bolt rig. This is where your lead is fixed to your main line. This is a lot more effective... atleast with a hair rig. When the carp begins to move to pick up more bait or back of if it feels the prick of the hook it jolts and when it jltssince the weight is fixed it wil drive the hook into the carps mouth. I only fish fixed leads while carp fishing and i catch a lot of carp. American caerping theway you have been trying it isnt as effective... i started out where you were.. i could barelycatch any carp... once ilearend euro style o began catching more and more carp and once you do it the more you do it the better you become at it! Did u go on CAG yet?

Explained here..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psRGnZmydLw&feature=plcp

#20 ·
I got them and a spod i think its called im low on cash lol so im trying to wait for some stuff lol i didnt get a chance to get on cag yet but i was watching the videos you posted and the one of the carp feeding is awesome i never knew that was how they feed one other ? For ya do you have a good boilie recipe with directions on how to make them???

#21 ·
Good glad you got a spod too man... very useful tool to a carp fisherman. I do have a recipe that i could give you that is simple and effective... but if i were you i would get your stuff from the feed mill and frst begin to catch some carp then move into fishing oilies and such. Usually boilies are best for the big carp... atleast when using bigger boilies which is what most ppl do with them. You can roll small boilies and catch on them too but boilies aernt technically an instant bait such as maize is... it takes longer for the scent and nutrients to release from them. Best thing to do is make a bunch of boiliees and prebait with them... and most likely on averahe you will catch bigger carp on them if they are decent sized one. Its basicaly a way for us carp fisherman to target the larger specimens by sorting out the smaller ones. A small carp cannot suck up a 20 mm boilie so we eliminate the small carp from cleaning up our bait pile and taking the rig. Again you can use small sized boilies like 10 mm and catch on them but from my expreince its easier and just as effective to fish maize especilly for a beginner. Once you begin to catch carp you can work on imprinvg yourself and trying for the bigger ones... There is a knack to it... i will teach you along the way dont worry man... and other will too! How old are you?
oh and check out this little store they have some very good baits.. I often use some of their stuff.... i mainly just use the feed from the store as my chum... if i were you i would just get cracked corn and some sweetfeed and skip on the whole corn tbh. I like fishing with finer particles as it makes the carp really work for every last bit of food especially if your just fihsing for any size carp. And if i were you i would pick up some flavored maize ffrom k1 baits this stuff is killer. Favorite flavor is the tutti frutti flavor and als bannana does major work too for me and my friend. We also catch fihs on there boilies too they also work wonders but like i said dont be surprised if you dont have as much action on boilies where you are fishing. So maybe hold off on using them at first. Generally they are for bigger fish and they aernt really an instant bait so sometimes they may not produce as well right away. But if you have the time money and a good well balanced boilie you could absoltly have a stunning seshion with typically bigger fish. Ususaly in big lakes liek nockamixon there are loads of carp so you will catch a lot of small ones. That doesnt mean there aernt big ones though. After you get a bunch of carp under your belt and you have all the gear an a good bit of knowledge you can begin to target the big carp. Like i stated earlier thebigger carp typically are by themselves and do not even bother to feed with the smaller fish, they have different feeding habits they aernt as agressive and they are A LOT more wary. A big carp has lived a lot of years and knows whats what. Il teach you more about chasing these bigger specimens later on. There are a boatload of good tactics and baits for carp fishing as you go on i will teach you more and more about the sport and what it has to offer. I am sure you are quite confused at some of these things but dont worry i was at first too... i pretty much learned all on my own and now i have improved so much its incredible!
http://www.k-1baits.com/

#22 ·
Im 23 and so far my whole life i been fishing for things like bass, crappie, and i have done alot of shad fishing with my dad. I acctually got put on carp fishing kinda by accident a friend of mine told me about a tactic that he used where you take a couple of rockswet bread mold it around the rocks and throw it in let them sink to the bottom and slowly disolve and the bread falls off and he said the carp just come in after it so i figured i have to try this i did that once or twice then i went fishing with him and i have been skunked everytime so now i am determined to catch one and to keep on catching them and het into this sport i will not give up lol its just not in me lol how old are u?

#23 ·
Goodstuff man... well thats sounds kay.We use something similar but with a lot more particles tha make it even more attractive. As i stated earlier its called method mix. Its basically a bunch of moist particles that you can modl together into a ball that sticks and then when it gets in the water it breaks apart making a carpet a logn the bottom. I am 17 turning 18 in a few days man.... And if you ever wanna sesh man just hmu. maybe we can get something together.. I was thinkign about having a fish in at a local lake here someday. I will let you know.

#27 ·
kwolf53189 you're on the right track. I myself was in your positon awhile ago but I had joined CAG leanred some European methods and I'd say I'm a pretty decent carp fishermen. One essential is the "walking" weight. I accomplish this by using a bank sinker and running my main line threw the eye to a swivel. I've had a lot of success with the hair rigs and I am currently working on my homemade boilies seeing what flavors work the best. Just like every other carp fishermen corn is my bait. I always go with Del Monte sweet corn I dont know why it works the best. Make sure that you do not get the unsalted kind because the carp love the flavors. Another huge thing is scouting out your spot. What I'll do is look for major areas of bubbling fish jumping or even seeing them swim. Normally I try to target channels they swim in. My local reservoir got drained to a quarter of the size and some fish were re located but its made carp fishing a lot easier. One last thing do not be afraid to chum. I normally bring two cans and will use about one and 3/4 on chumming the spot then the rest on hooking it. You have to remember that these are large fish they'll eat those little handfulls of corn quickly. Hope this helps.

#28 ·
I dont wanna be restricted to only fishing nockamixion either if you or anybody else knows good places to find carp i would love to hear where i just picked nocky because i heard there are lots of carp there im also hearing alot about the delware but im not very familiar with the river the only shore fishing ive done in the delware has been in regalsville by the boat launch if you know of anywhere i would love to hear where you know of i just want to start catching them so bad its starting to become an obsession lol

#31 ·
Yes it does man.... plenty of carp... theres some nice carp there to be had also... jut gotta apply your knowledge and learn the place im sure jsut likee anywhere else. I have only ever fished it once wiht little scouting i found a decent spot.... Only thing is there isnt much bank access on that lake... if u pm me i will give u the spot i went. I try to keep everything on the DL spotwise. And yeah man for sure.. its always good to learn by seeing in real person to get the true feel for it. And someday maybe i will mae a trip out to nockamixon if i do i will let you know!

#35 · (Edited)
They wont man... no local places around here sell euro gear! So if i were you i would go quick order some... You may be able to think or fin something else to use or even make ur own bait stops... again i dont know i buy mine because their cheap and im not a very handy person. But the one guy i know uses something from michaels craft store or ac moore or something like that and its lkke plastics squarea i beleive put together and you can cut it up and use them for bait stop... its like plastic mesh almost... idk what ots used for maybe you can find it if you go to the store. maybe you can find what im talking about in your local craft store... idk how well it works ... i just use regular bait stops... only 75 cents from BCT.... where you ordered... For the NNB ones all the way at the bottom!

#37 ·
Yeah hopefully man... hopefully! Let me know what you find and when you get fishing! Like i said i would like to make a trip over there sumday m and my friend... Fishing gets slow during the summer months though.... fall and spring are the best. When im not waterfowl hunting i will be chasing some big specimens. They begin to get their feed on for the winter then and big fish will be targetable and fishing will pick up especially with the water cooling! Stay in touch man...

#39 ·
Yeah man and i can show you more... i just lightly touched upon some of the things. Do you have a facebook by any chance? And yes soak for 24 hrs and then boil for 30 minutes. Fill a 5 gallon bucket like half way ful and fill it with water all the way to the top of the bucket... you would be surprised how much water the maize soaks up. Then add more water if needed. And after a day or 2 of soaking use the water that you soaked your maize in to boil it. Bring the water to a boil first in a big pot then dump in your maize... make sure to stir it every now and again so it does not stick and gets evenly boiled. Then boil for bout 30 minutes somtimes a little less and then pour back into the bucket and let it cool off and add flavoring if you please. Adding flavoring right after the boiling is the best time this is when the maize really soaks up its surrounding! it will become soft enough to put a needle throuhg but still somewhat hard so it stays on well and no nuisance fish pick it off or fall of the hair. And after you boil it you can add flavoring to it also if you would like... i personally do not but its up to you. I make little containers of flavored baits if im makign anything flavored... Just for my hair not to chum. I like flavored baits but usually i use K1 baits flavored maize or i make small batches as i said. I actually have some tigernuts soaking in water right now that i am going to flavor in coconut. Like i said if you let the maize get fermented it releases a ton of its natural sugars and becomes very attractive to the carp. It stinks bad but it works very well... i almost prefer fermented over fresh. If you want to ferment it just let it sit outside in a bucket with water and it will get nice and stinky. If you dont want to use it that way put it in the refrigerator/somewhere cool and ul be fine!

#43 ·
As long as you want... well actually i have had mold grow on it... but i dont know how long that was sitting for outside, i use quite a bit of bait so im not sure. You dont necessarily need to set it outside to ferment... but it speeds up the process right now because of the heat. As long as you dont refrigerate it it will ferment. But you go through maize quickly if your fishing a decent amount of hrs a week... so dont worry about it. Just make liek a 5 gallon bucket and set it in your basement with a lid. I think as long as you dont give it fresh air it will ferment... so keep it sealed up. I heard of a guy making a bunch of maixe in the winter and ductaping the buckets shut and by the time he was ready to fish it it wuld knock you off your fet but it would work great. Plus i do belviev if you add sugar and salt while boiling it ferments faster then too, i think... if i remeber correctly. maybe im wrong. Like i said you can use it fermented or fresh i prefer fermented though.... Did you get my PM?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.