BASS BARN banner

Delaware County Radnor, PA Bass fishing

15K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  SALTLIFE 
#1 ·
So I like to call my style of fishing google maps angling as I usually drive around with all my gear in my trunk and look for bodies of water that seem fishable. I've fished the willows, smaller ponds by the willows, Bryn Mawr College, and a few other college ponds but Im running out of spots. I want to actually have to work to catch fish but still catch em. If anyone has any spots that they would want to share that would be awesome. Also if you can keep them within the area that would be awesome. Any help is appreciated!

#3 ·
Delco is a terrible place to be a fisherman. The Skuke is the best local thing going but it takes forever to figure out. There are decent lakes within a 2 hour drive but you need a boat to fish them effectively. Ridley creek trout is a joke so don't waste your time with that. Still fish to be caught down the shore. Stripers are still biting, blackfish are getting going and seabass will supposedly re-open jan 1.

#4 ·
I agree Delco is a joke other than the spring striper run on the Big D. Been fishing the Skuke since I was a kid and its taken a big dip recently. If you dont have a boat stick with the skuke for cats and carp. Try for some flatheads. might me the biggest fish you catch all year. My goal for 2013 is to gain more knowledge about the Big D below the Navy Yard. Good Luck!

#5 ·
I agree about Delco lacking spots to fish. I have two sons and I don't have any place to take them from shore. We used to hit Springton and DCCC but both are off limits now.

I had a small boat and we would fish Marsh Creek and the Skuke and do well. I just haven't found any local, shore spots to fish.

#12 ·
I actually miss fishing Delco since I've been gone, hard to say whether I miss the fish or fishing the haunts I grew up on though. As silly as stocked trout are, I'm gonna miss that as well each spring. The streams I fished aren't exactly worth a drive over from Cherry Hill, but they used to be mine.

I never experienced better fishing in freshwater than I did sneaking into Springton in high school. Could only imagine what kind of damage I could have done if I knew what I was doing. 7 inch black worm Texas rigged regardless....

BTW - SaltLife - nice meeting you the other night. Was that your number the pic popped in from?

RyanF

#14 ·
I grew up in Drexel Hill and live in Secane now. It looks like Saltlife has the bass dialed in (I think I know where he's fishing, I have a guess anyway:)). With the closing of Springton the fishing in Delco definitley took a huge dip but like has been said above there are still fish to be had. As far as stocked trout go I put Delco up against any of the other surrounding counties. I agree Ridley Creek usually sucks b/c of the way it gets stocked but the other two creeks can hold trout all season. Ive had plenty of double digit after work sessions in may.

#18 ·
That's why fishing for stocked trout is lame. Where is the skill?? That goes for all these little puddles in delco that hold bass anyone can catch bass when there is 1000 of them in an 1-2 acre little pond. No skill required!!! Delco sucks balls for fishing I still fish springton and do good on Sundays when no one is working the lake. I use to love catching bass from little ponds in the area and I still do when I'm fishing with my son but when I catch a 4 or 5 lber it's not the same like catching a giant in the Susky or Marsh lake. I used to think I was an amazing bass fisherman because of all the bass I caught on multiple lures in these little ponds but the reality is when you have a ton of fish in a small area and you cover enough water you will catch a lot. For me my next step on becoming a better angler is finding bass in big water when you get dialed in on that then you start catching them then your on your way of becoming a true bass angler.

#21 ·
Salt life

Hey Saltlife don't take it personal bro. For just the sake of fishing hitting little ponds could be fun but don't make delco out to be anything better than average. To help the guy out who wrote this post my advice is look up in Chester co if it's farm ponds you are after there are so many you might have to ask permission but just try use your google maps and go to town. My biggest bass came from a farm pond in west Chester but I don't count it because it was caught in a farm pond.

#22 ·
Hey Saltlife don't take it personal bro. For just the sake of fishing hitting little ponds could be fun but don't make delco out to be anything better than average. To help the guy out who wrote this post my advice is look up in Chester co if it's farm ponds you are after there are so many you might have to ask permission but just try use your google maps and go to town. My biggest bass came from a farm pond in west Chester but I don't count it because it was caught in a farm pond.
I got ya bro!! No offense taken. Definitely not the best bass fishing around but good for after work type fishing! And better than the first few posts made it out to be . If I could get out to the bigger bodies of water more often I would definitely bigger fish out there. No argument there.

#34 ·
I agree %100 percent ponds are fun but there is no skill required for the sake of just fishing and reeling in some bass there great. Other than that c'mon Saltlife how hard do you really have to work for them and if you do have to work hard for them that just goes and proves my point even further that Delco sucks for fishing I live in Broomall 5 mins from Springton once that lake closed Delco went to **** as far as fishing is concerned.

#35 ·
I am not disagreeing with you by any means! Yes there is better spots to fish than delco that is very obvious but the original post is about delco and if delco is what me or someone else is restricted to then I would say no it does not suck. Grant it I would live to get out to some spots further out but when there is little time during the week to do that delco can be a nice place to find some bass that's all I'm saying. There is definitely better places to fish than delco for sure that hold bigger fish and require more skill. But delco does not suck considering what I stated above. That's all I'm sayin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.