BASS BARN banner

Springton lake Resivoir

19K views 83 replies 32 participants last post by  TBEST82 
#1 ·
Over the years I've heard several reasons for why they closed SLR I've heard stories that it was because of 911 and were afraid terrorists are going to polute our drinking water. I heard it cost to much to just flat out keep it going and also heard that Delco is just afraid of getting sued because of drunk idiots who drown swimming at night Or idiots in general drowning in there when they should have never been swimming in the lake in the first place. Any truth at all to these urban legends and does anyone think it will ever reopen or does anyone have any ideas how to go about trying to get our lake back???

#47 ·
Fished there from the late 70's. from when we had to hide from the wc guy in the boat. They do hand out fines there my buddy was caught there with his daughters and a steep fine. I was stopped there by the cops took my info and lic on my truck and told next time a big fine. Was also threatened with having my truck towed from different places. Also got a few parking tickets out there.Just putting it out there so people know there is that risk. Tbest I was also one of the idiots that use to swim there. We were young and dumb .

#54 ·
^^^^^

I do know as kids we would occasionally cast back a sunny after catching one.... and they would get nailed EVERY TIME.

I always thought it were musky or huge bass, but i never knew there were huge flatheads in there so maybe thats what it was. THey would break the line almost immediately.

Anyone familiar with the cove at Cove lane on north providence road? thats where i grew up fishing.

#55 ·
In all honesty I went here this summer for the first time since I was about 6 years old, caught nothing, and then got pulled over leaving in the middle of the night. The cops were waiting for a bunch of acid heads who were having some huge bonfire down in the woods. Once they stuck their heads in the car, saw our fishing rods and didn't smell a campfire they were cool. Took our info, told us not to come back and asked us if we caught anything. They also warned that they would have to fine us if they saw us again. We did have a run in with a couple of the free spirits out in the woods.... I've been to a bunch of Dead and Allman shows and I don't know what these people were on but they really freaked me out. That will be my last time back there.

#57 ·
Flatheads were an accidental stocking there and have probably been there since the 70s? I never really targeted or caught them, but i've seen one or two of the photos at area tackle shops and personally witnessed one being put in a pick up truck in the early 80s as a youngin, it was probably 20-25lbs. I believe all the muskies there were/are tigers (unless PAFBC messed that up too), not sure what their lifespan is, but I don't believe springton has recieved any type of stocking in quite some time. The rarest leviathans in the reservoir are the jumbo landlocked eels.

It is a ashame it is a not at least partially open to fishing, hiking, bird-watching etc...a small park and good access pathes, maybe some historical information about wildlife, the old mill and quarry that are now (usually) submerged. I've seem an old photo of the mill wall and building and some of the stone structure is visible when the water is super low (like 2001), including the foundation and old mill wall across crum creek. You can also see a really old pick up truck submerged in the quarry area too.

Springton is primarily a bottom release reservoir and substantially cools a section of crum creek downstream. It could possibly support a tailrace trout fishery, but the cool water stretch is owned by a nature preserve and fishing is not permitted there either.

The other thing is that multiple townships border the lake, and no public entity would want to take the lead in opening it up to the public and bear the financial responsibility. It would require a lot of political will that is unlikely to be mustered by area residents.

#59 ·
Aqua America owns Churchville Reservoir/ springfield lake. Once they bought it fishing was shut down. The reason is insurance premiums because when people drown, get hurt, ect. they sue. It's a shame because there are not alot of places to fish in the philly suburbs especially on lakes

#64 ·
I wouldn't go as far as calling them excellent sure some spots tend to hold some bass on both rivers but the Delaware river as a whole is not even an above average bass fishery especially in the delco section. The Skuke is better known for its smallmouth not largemouth I've caught largemouth in both rivers never any giants. Ive never even heard or seen pictures of anyone catching a bass 5lbs or better in the Delaware. If it was an excellent bass fishery then the rivers would be crawling with them and their clearly not. My point was you said there is plenty of places to fish and there isn't. I don't own a boat with a gas motor either so rha makes things even harder.

#67 ·
Just because its not littered with 8lb bass every turn dosent make it not a good bass fishery? Im sure there are monster bass in the delaware and tidal and non tidal schuylkill, positive.

No doubt, the skuke is a great bass fishery......just not a largemouth fishery, if were talking consistent......they are no doubt there, im not contesting that....at all, but a big fish from any where you catch it is a good day on the water....weather its on an out of the way pond......or on the river....your starting to sound like a fly fisher man:D

#69 ·
Would you two get a room already :p just joking, both rivers, especially the Delaware tribs are good bass fisheries. I mostly fish the nj Delaware creeks, and if you put your time in, there are plenty of healthy 5+lbers..(and yes I actually weigh them if they appear to be over 4)

#76 ·
Ummm Yes I have I caught a bunch of largemouth in the Delaware river up around bucks county area never caught one over 2.5 lbs. The Skuke ive caught tons of Smallies accidently catching largemouths here and there again no size. I know there are lunkers and every now and then you might get lucky enough to catch one. You make it sound like its an easy task to go out and catch a bunch of LM bass through out each of the " excellent largemouth bass fisheries"you mentioned. Thats not the case. Maybe you know something I dont Christopher but i doubt it as a whole the rivers are sub par LM bass fisheries at best.

#81 ·
can it be spring already?

Were really going to argue if a river is "excellent" "Good" or "sucks?" Both rivers are massive. They have spots that produce, they have spots that don't. I could fish the same area and say it sucks, but you may have a method that works. I'm a Jersey guy, and can say that the Del River tribs near me (cooper river, Newton creek) and the lesser known areas hold some nice bass. It's all about putting the time in to find them.

#83 ·
It would be a smart idea to charge peope to fish it, electric boat access only sort of thing. Wouldent be walking through peoples property, and littering the grounds. It would keep the forieners and bucket brigade away since they cant afford boats, and it would generate a revenu for the company or township. Just make it catch and release, and only have one spot for slips like the old picnic area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.