BASS BARN banner

Springton lake Resivoir

19K views 83 replies 32 participants last post by  TBEST82 
#1 ·
Over the years I've heard several reasons for why they closed SLR I've heard stories that it was because of 911 and were afraid terrorists are going to polute our drinking water. I heard it cost to much to just flat out keep it going and also heard that Delco is just afraid of getting sued because of drunk idiots who drown swimming at night Or idiots in general drowning in there when they should have never been swimming in the lake in the first place. Any truth at all to these urban legends and does anyone think it will ever reopen or does anyone have any ideas how to go about trying to get our lake back???

#8 ·
there are some real big largemouths,cats,brownies,carp,sunnies. I believe
the muskies were all hybrids and are gone now ,unless zeke and the boys let a few loose in there. Still good fishing,especially late evening and night, just dont let the water company see you.:wave:

ps-be careful wading, huge snappers!,:eek:

#12 ·
i believe it closed because of law suites and 911.... the water company spent alot of money putting up cameras along the dam and spillway. i had a fish & game guy who saw us fishing once way back off of bishops hollow rd. ....during a drought.... we didnt think he was going to walk all the way back to get us.... wrong.... he was a cool guy . he just checked us for license and said we need to leave... no fine. as we walked out with him he said that PA Fish&Game had asked Aqua to take over responsibility and run the Rez but they declined.

#14 ·
When i was a kid growing up on this lake every year we heard about drownings through the ice.... not sure if we were told just so we wouldnt go out there.... i always thought thats why they closed it. Also heard something about pollution from bait (worms).

That lake was the best... i havnt fished it in a few years... my secret access area is a million dollar neighborhood now. I could still get down there though... might have to take a look this spring.

There were largemouth in there as long as my arm... they wouldnt hit ****, but they were there... always riding the shallows. Tons of carp.

never caught a cat outta there in all my years but i always fished artificals.

I loved that place.

#24 ·
I cant tell u who did but i met a guy who nailed a nice 62 lb flatty quite a few years back. That damn thing probably pushing 70 or more now. Too old and slow to be sneaking around that place now :)

#29 ·
Sorry man I don't know you and don't want to call you a liar but I find that very hard to believe. There are flatheads in there but 60+lbs C'mon man. That destroys the state record by 15lbs I don't think flatheads grow that big up north. Just saying.

#30 ·
Give me a break. Large portions of this lake have ALWAYS been off limits to fishing - before much of the land around the reservoir was even developed. Back in the 70s and 80s they used to patrol the lake by boat, and there was a lot of areas always off limits to fishing.

Home owners near the reservoir have no influence on Aqua America policies. If I owned a home near the lake, I wouldn't want anyone cutting through my yard to go fish. Lets face it, a large portion of fishermen who frequented the place were trashy jerks who left their trash behind.

The actual reason why the lake is now off limits have very little to do with all of the hearsay posted in this thread. Springton Reservoir, now owned by Aqua America, was closed as a result of the national corporatization of local muncipal utilities. Springton Reservoir was originally built and run by Suburban Water Company, a small local provider in Delaware County. As small local providers were aquired by an increasingly larger national comglomerate, Springton Reservoir becomes a budget line item versus a local resource managed by staff who live and are invested in the local community.

To streamline national profits, Aqua America looks to cut overhead. Security, maintenance and insurance premiums to allow public access at Springton were prohibitive and closign the reservoir to the public was strictly a cost-saving measure. Strictly Business. 9/11, broken legs from jumping off bridges, accidental drownings etc...all totally false rumors.

All the above being said, people have been tresspassing there for decades. Some of the old access pathes through the woods have tree-carved relics from anglers of a previous generation. I grew up fishing the place and although the fishing there was always decent, it honestly never held (and probably still doesn't) all these mythical lunkers that people talk about. Are there big fish there? A few. I've caught one or two.

I'll leave the silly tresspassing to kids under 18 who don't know any better. Springton Reservoir is OVER. Its more myth than truth.

#31 ·
Finally the truth. I've heard so many rumors but if thats why it all makes sense. I just wish there was a way that the lake could reopen. Maybe they could close sections off where you couldn't fish from the land. I don't know!!! Everytime I drive by I get sick to my stomach from the the memories I've had there that I will never be able to share with my son and we live 5 min away. What a waste.

#33 ·
t bestbest

if you used to go into Gordon's on west Chester pike there was a pic of a guy with it in his hands it was huge . I will try to find the pic but I actually did meet him and he told me the weight . we caught one out of there that was 20 lbs at 36 inches they will keep growing due to the amount of no fishing pressure and food source available . I would know trust me u don't know what is where in the waters in this area .

#48 ·
if you used to go into Gordon's on west Chester pike there was a pic of a guy with it in his hands it was huge . I will try to find the pic but I actually did meet him and he told me the weight . we caught one out of there that was 20 lbs at 36 inches they will keep growing due to the amount of no fishing pressure and food source available . I would know trust me u don't know what is where in the waters in this area .
I am no stranger when it comes to big flathead. The flatty in the pic you posted is a nice size fish. If the fish you mentioned was 62lbs and the pic was hanging up in Gordons that means it was caught while the lake was still open and the guy who caught it released a state record. I find that hard to believe. I think your thinking about the 45lber that was caught just before the lake closed either way still a big fish just not 60+lbs. Here is a photo of my biggest flathead I caught it in the Suesquhanna river three years ago. I didnt getr the weight of him but he was 43 in long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.