BASS BARN banner

How do you handle Carp ?

20K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  buckhunter 
#1 ·
How don you de-hook a Carp? Can you lift him by the Gill Plate ? Lip him ? Grab it under the belly ? Grab the tail ? Trying to get the fish out of the water to get the hook out ? Cant drag up on the bank have to reach down for the fish. Broke the line off with the fish still hooked. Will he live ? Thanks :wave:

#3 ·
How don you de-hook a Carp? Can you lift him by the Gill Plate ? Lip him ? Grab it under the belly ? Grab the tail ? Trying to get the fish out of the water to get the hook out ? Cant drag up on the bank have to reach down for the fish. Broke the line off with the fish still hooked. Will he live ? Thanks :wave:
do not lift by gill plate, they will bleed, under the belly works

#6 ·
It's a fish any fish that's over 5 lbs you should never hold by just the gill plate you have to support the belly because you will rip the gill plate. A big carp flopping around will rip the plate if not supported. This goes for all big fish not just carp. Sure some fish are stronger than others and won't Tare or rip but come on common sense would you want to be held by just your head. Carp are tough other than that. I don't own any bogs grips my hands are boga grips. I always find it funny watching guys struggle to get those grips latched on while I could have grabbed that fish out of the water 7 times by now.

#12 ·
Purchase a good net for landing Carp. I recommend the Balzer Metallica. I've been using the same one for over 2 years, and I never had problems with it (just don't forget to lift the net vertically). I landed fish over 25lbs+ with it, and the process was still smooth and nice. Also, it's one of the longest nets in the market. If you fish for Carp often, I would also recommend you to buy a landing mat. So, after netting the fish, you can place it on top of your wet landing mat to unhook the fish properly. That will prevent the fish from getting hurt. I don't recommend using a boga grip for Carp, especially if the fish is bigger than 3lbs. The insides of a Carp's mouth are very sensitive, and a Boga grip can hurt them. For pictures, I would recommend one open hand around the pectoral fin (do not place your hand in or near the gill rakers) and the other one around the anal fin. That's a good holding position for a Carp pic, and also for releases. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.