Lake Audrey Re-liming Project
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fish Devil
  • 1 Post By Fish Devil

Thread: Lake Audrey Re-liming Project

Default Lake Audrey Re-liming Project

It will start on Sunday morning February 17. The plan is to get the pH level back up to normal and then monitor it periodically. More lime will be added in future years when needed. Fish stocking could begin as early as this year. No smallmouth, sorry guys.
    jstyle215 likes this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

FD, I was Fred's partner for awhile several years ago. I enjoy reading your posts. I am looking for a house in Vineland presently and have a few questions for you. Sorry to contact you like this but couldn't figure out how to PM. [email protected]. Thanks!

oh Cool! So if I recall, this location originally didn't hold any fish. They had to add Lime until it was habitable for fish, but eventually the pH went bad again. Couple of questions:

What happened now that pH is not ideal?
    What is the cause of the pH going off again?
    Who's Paying for the Liming and restocking?
    rawr fishing

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jstyle215 View Post
    oh Cool! So if I recall, this location originally didn't hold any fish. They had to add Lime until it was habitable for fish, but eventually the pH went bad again. Couple of questions:

What happened now that pH is not ideal?
    What is the cause of the pH going off again?
    Who's Paying for the Liming and restocking?
    this link will explain everything........http://www.sjbca.org/audreyinfo.htm
    NotAtWork likes this.

thx! i'll give it a read
    rawr fishing

Good that the State is going to start taking care of the lake again. Bummer that there won't be any Smallies. I loved fishing that lake when there were Smallies in there....

still in question if the lake keeps becoming acidic from ground springs and wherever else how will the lake ever be able to keep sustaining life? where will the money keep coming from ? seems to be a lost cause .wouldn't catfish be able to live in there with the current conditions? just wondering.thanx

Quote Originally Posted by grtwhthunter/fisherman View Post
    still in question if the lake keeps becoming acidic from ground springs and wherever else how will the lake ever be able to keep sustaining life? where will the money keep coming from ? seems to be a lost cause .wouldn't catfish be able to live in there with the current conditions? just wondering.thanx
    Good question. Once it is stabilized, it will take constant minor adjustments to keep the PH at an acceptable level. I know they do that in some acid mine drainage areas. Might be a project graduate students with a professor/advisor who is a water expert could take on? If money becomes available I think minor adjustments could keep the PH in check.
    "The most troublesome men in public life are those over-righteous people who see no motives in other peoples actions but evil motives, who believe all public life is corrupt, and nothing is done well unless they do it themselves." Ulysses S. Grant

but what if money isn't available? isn't the whole thing just a waste of time/n maybe look into another lake it can? seems like alotta effort n short term success. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by grtwhthunter/fisherman View Post
    but what if money isn't available? isn't the whole thing just a waste of time/n maybe look into another lake it can? seems like alotta effort n short term success. jmo
    Yes, I think you are right.

I spoke with my daughter who is an Environmental Engineer and she said there are long term solutions and her company has done some PH re-mediation projects, but it is not cheap.
    "The most troublesome men in public life are those over-righteous people who see no motives in other peoples actions but evil motives, who believe all public life is corrupt, and nothing is done well unless they do it themselves." Ulysses S. Grant

Funny detail fishing there. I think it was the end of the first year they opened it up for fishing. I used my canoe and had a mushroom anchor to keep still. Did not catch much. But the anchor would not come up! I just about sunk the canoe trying. So one more try before cutting it off and it popped free. Felt twice as heavy. When it came up ir was covered in "brown chewing gum". The lime had created a sticky silly pudy like bottom. SO be careful where you anchor!!
    08 Tracker Targa. Be Prepared! Don't forget the net!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in