White Perch and Crappie
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: White Perch and Crappie

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default White Perch and Crappie

    This is my first time visiting this site I found it while looking for White Perch and Crappie fishing info in NJ and figured try asking for help here.Basicly I'm looking for advice on finding Perch and Crappie threw different season, when they are up creek vs down creek and any other tips would be helpful.Ive put in more hours trying to figure them out than I'd like to admit,Where do they go when they're not way up creek? Aghh,Thanks for any advice you could give!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ocean City, NJ
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMike609 View Post
    This is my first time visiting this site I found it while looking for White Perch and Crappie fishing info in NJ and figured try asking for help here.Basicly I'm looking for advice on finding Perch and Crappie threw different season, when they are up creek vs down creek and any other tips would be helpful.Ive put in more hours trying to figure them out than I'd like to admit,Where do they go when they're not way up creek? Aghh,Thanks for any advice you could give!
    Help us help you by letting us know what creeks you fish and what times of the year.

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I live by LBI so I have fished from the Tom's River all the way down to Sommers Point and even past to some Creeks by rt.50.I really only fish for them around this time of year but that is just because there isn't much else going on. I would really like to know when and where they are at any given time just like any other fish but I have really struggled patterning them and Id really like to learn as much as possible about them.Thanks for responding.
    Last edited by JerseyMike609; 02-27-2020 at 09:17 PM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ocean City, NJ
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMike609 View Post
    I live by LBI so I have fished from the Tom's River all the way down to Sommers Point and even past to some Creeks by rt.50.I really only fish for them around this time of year but that is just because there isn't much else going on. I would really like to know when and where they are at any given time just like any other fish but I have really struggled patterning them and Id really like to learn as much as possible about them.Thanks for responding.
    Same here, I usually fish for Perch from January until it's time to launch the boat in May. All kinds of Perch: Speckled, White, Yellow... It's been a good year so far. But I hear the fishing can be even better for White Perch in the warmer months especially early fall. They're not going to be way up in the little creeks that they spawn in, (I've looked) but not in deep holes yet either.

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I really only go on foot but I havent caught 1 yet, Its frustrating.When I do find them there always way up creek and theres a bunch of people on them.

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default

    But where are they when not up creek and how far into the bays will they go?

  9. #7
    rob
    rob is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    greater Atlantic City "metro" area
    Posts
    12,925

    Default

    They will drop down into true salt during the summer... guys get them in the Mullica ocean side of the GSP bridge on out to the bay, that's all salt


    ------------

    Rob

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Yea I've heard that they go from the bay all the way up creek almost as far as they can and everywhere in between but the only time and place I find them is way up creek around April and November! Do they have a set "Migration" like striped bass or fluke?

  11. #9
    rob
    rob is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    greater Atlantic City "metro" area
    Posts
    12,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMike609 View Post
    Yea I've heard that they go from the bay all the way up creek almost as far as they can and everywhere in between but the only time and place I find them is way up creek around April and November! Do they have a set "Migration" like striped bass or fluke?
    the guys I know who fish for them regularly say they school up and you have to find them.

    For example, some guys over the winter slayed them, but I ran into a guy one day who kayak’d a local creek where I was walking the dogs and he struck out for the day.

    AFAIK, they do not migrate per se but do move up and down a river / bay system. I could be wrong, though, maybe someone who knows more can chime in.


    ------------

    Rob

  12. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I would say I religiously fish for white perch all year round in South Jersey. One thing I could tell you is they move more than any fish that doesn’t migrate. I’ve probably finished a 20+ times this winter for them and one day there are thick as thieves the next day they’re gone. I truly believe they move based on salinity level & food during the winter. But I must say they are not a hard fish to catch.
    Crappie Fishing on the other hand seems to be an art down here in South Jersey. I’ve had my fair share of good days but I think I’ve had more bad days than good days with them. I know you can catch them year round like perch but it really seems like the late spring post-spawn seems to be the best here.

  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks,I think I'm going to give it another try tomorrow morning before work.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •