Backyard Wood Burning Boilers - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Wood Burning Boilers

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelc View Post
    Not my problem. If my neighbor is allergic to smoke, do I need to block up my fp? Move my grill to the woods? What would you do.

I would take the necessary steps to stop the smoke from annoying the neighbor .

I have a neighbor who lives across the street , and does not like it when I park my truck ( In front of my own property) when it blocks their view of the sunset from their porch , they mentioned it once , so I make an effort every week to park my truck so it does not block their view
    "

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Now broadcasting from the new MOVE compound somewhere on Absecon Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy8 View Post
    from the article you posted , it does not appear to be one woman

The ordinance is a result of complaints by residents of South Andrielle Avenue in Erma, voiced at previous council meetings concerning the Banach residence. Adjoining property owners and folks who live down the street have complained to the township that the boiler sends smoke inside their homes.
    The boiler in question was a wood-burning, outdoor Central Boiler E Classic 2400 the Banach family uses to heat their home and swimming pool.

Perhaps the Boiler Operator as well as the " complainers " have not tied to get together and solve the problem collectively

but it appears to be a few more than just one women ?
    Have some friends out that way. it was bvasically one woman. But thats the point. Where does the line get drawn? Once again, I would more than likely have no issues other than engineering. Its the point that a few neighbors can have it done. I know of a house around the corner from you that had to abandon its fireplace when one of the new homes built next to it towered above it and ruined the draft. The new home towered above the existing home. So the new home owner complained and complained. Even took the existing owners to court, where it now resides trying to get resolved. And it doesn't even matter cause the existing homes fireplace draft is essentially ruined on certain winds. You know me, its more about the rules and how a few can impose thier will on others.

Yes, there is a fireplace. It doesnt get used. People get these because they are cheap to buy and cheap to run. Everybody wants a good deal so why would you buy high priced hardwood for your furnace when you do not have to. You wouldnt. Part of the allure of these units is that they will burn anything.

I used to live in a neighborhood that allowed open leaf buring out in the gutter in the street. During the fall, you couldn't open any windows in the house, and even the car. Your clothes and upholstry would stink.
    Those don't look too neighbor friendly to me, and I have a fire pit out back. It gets used maybe 4 times a year, fall and winter mostly.
    No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy8 View Post
    I would take the necessary steps to stop the smoke from annoying the neighbor .

I have a neighbor who lives across the street , and does not like it when I park my truck ( In front of my own property) when it blocks their view of the sunset from their porch , they mentioned it once , so I make an effort every week to park my truck so it does not block their view
    Which is probably what I would do. But don't come and tell me what to do. You are only asking for problems. I would have probably taked to my neighbors prior to installing it. I once had a neighbor who installed a fence where I had an easement to accesss the back of my property. Summer person, had the fence erected in the winter while he was up in phila. When he came down to check on it, I asked him when he decided to do it. was he aware of the easement? He told me to shove my easement up my A$$. This was around six months after he sent us a letter thanking us for looking after his property during a noreaster. Beleive me when I say his vacation time was never the same after that. And while the fence remained up but the gates came down by court order.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabiki View Post
    Yes, there is a fireplace. It doesnt get used. People get these because they are cheap to buy and cheap to run. Everybody wants a good deal so why would you buy high priced hardwood for your furnace when you do not have to. You wouldnt. Part of the allure of these units is that they will burn anything.
    That's the problem, I have a place in WV and almost every house has one. They do burn everything and anything that will fit in the fire box and they belch smoke and stink like you wouldn't believe. But most of these places are on 5-10-100 acer lots so who cares. If you want to put one in your back yard you should put out the effort to burn good wood and it would be no different that a fire place. Burn the crap wood at night during the winter when no one would notice.

DM2
    ***froggy1***
    **Tuckerton**
    *****NJ******

Summer person, had the fence erected in the winter while he was up in phila. When he came down to check on it, I asked him when he decided to do it. was he aware of the easement? He told me to shove my easement up my A$$.

and that is probably the way it went here, the neighbors probably tried to talk to the wood burner first , he probably refused to try and work with the neighbors, of course that is just my opinion but thats usually the way these things go
    "

Have some friends out that way. it was bvasically one woman. But thats the point. Where does the line get drawn? Once again, I would more than likely have no issues other than engineering. Its the point that a few neighbors can have it done. I know of a house around the corner from you that had to abandon its fireplace when one of the new homes built next to it towered above it and ruined the draft. The new home towered above the existing home. So the new home owner complained and complained. Even took the existing owners to court, where it now resides trying to get resolved. And it doesn't even matter cause the existing homes fireplace draft is essentially ruined on certain winds. You know me, its more about the rules and how a few can impose thier will on others.
    now that mikey turned the big 60
    he is extragrumpy

Y D
    D H Y

If your neighbors are close by you have to be considerate of the impact on them. If you have a few acres and are far away then have at it, burn your old tires if it makes you happy.
    Jimbo

This was basically one woman that complained. So if one woman can force this kind of legislation, why not for a pool? There are already noise restricitons on the books. Who is to say they can't expnad on that because one person objects? And once again, look at the stack on that unit. How is it any different then the fireplace on a rancher. Does that mean that you cannot have a fireplace or a wood burner in a ranch or other one story unit? Does you dad have a fireplace in his log cabin?
    HI MIKEY

There are many problems with these type of boilers but the biggest problem I've seen is idiots who think because the boiler is not in their home and because they're the "It's my gol dang land and the gubment won't till me what to do" types some tend to burn anything. cca lumber, garbage, tires etc.
    It's a shame,these boilers are great

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGESTJACK View Post
    now that mikey turned the big 60
    he is extragrumpy
    Hey your back from Coopers? How did the hall of fame ceremony go? Any problems getting him up there with crutches? Haven't really heard from you since the early part of game two? Why is that? As to my age, you missed it by more than a few years. You must be confusing me with someone else. Maybe your photographer friend. He takes good pics. Why don't we ever get any when you are in town? Too hard to take pics on the boardwalk while you are walking hand in hand?

so mikey,once again you fall off topic. your first post was about outdoor burning but you bring up pools,grills and fireplaces,boats and motorcycles.
    maybe you hit the bottle early today,none of my business. nobody in this thread is complaining about pools grills or fireplaces. open burning or the boiler with chimney in close proximity to other homes is the issue during the nice days when ac is not needed. not during the winter months when most peoples houses are closed up. fireplace chimneys dont normally bother anyone while being used in the winter time for heat.
    you started this thread . you dont like the responses by most of us, so now you are pulling examples/excuses out of your ***.
    i truly hope your neighbor installs a fire a pit and burns in it all through spring and fall, then you would change your tune.
    FISH COME AND GO,BUT THE MEMORIES OF FISHING WITH FAMILY WILL LAST FOREVER.

From what I know about these burners. cost is approximately $13,000 installed,not cheap.They can burn any type wood,pallets,green(wet), not supposed to burn treated,but can, tires or any combustible material. These were marketed this way in order to get a larger segment of buyers.Some are made to accept a pile of whole pallets.The threat of a chimney fire in these is possible from creosote build up, but not in or attached to the house so not a problem. They are on very low air until heat is called for then the air is injected to create a fire from the smoldering lumber inside. The owner should be cognizant of what they use as fuel as to what it is going to do to the neighborhood.
    As to the passing of the ordinance the owner of the wood burner should have went to the council meeting to defend their rights and voice their concerns as to why they should have freedom of choice of heating source. Just more government interference where they shouldn't be.So if the owner has no other heat source,who pays for a changeover? And for the gas,oil or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by phish4fun View Post
    so mikey,once again you fall off topic. your first post was about outdoor burning but you bring up pools,grills and fireplaces,boats and motorcycles.
    maybe you hit the bottle early today,none of my business. nobody in this thread is complaining about pools grills or fireplaces. open burning or the boiler with chimney in close proximity to other homes is the issue during the nice days when ac is not needed. not during the winter months when most peoples houses are closed up. fireplace chimneys dont normally bother anyone while being used in the winter time for heat.
    you started this thread . you dont like the responses by most of us, so now you are pulling examples/excuses out of your ***.
    i truly hope your neighbor installs a fire a pit and burns in it all through spring and fall, then you would change your tune.
    Calling you a moron would not do you justice, so I won't. And go ahead, send out some of your sneaky little emails. Then tell us about every aspect of your boring little life so we know what you are having for dinner and what you do before you go to work in the morning. It impresses me. Just so you know, this thread was about how this was done, not what it was done about. God forbid someone didn't like something you were doing in your backyard and complained to your local municipality and had an ordinance created to stop you. Hell, you get worked up when the price of fuel goes up two cents. BTW, when you didn't show up for that lunch you promised, it wasn't BJ playing me, he was playing you. He likes to play games with the short bus riders and you have a big target on your forehead.

Swedesboro then Voorhees now North Wildwood

That thing looks like a heated oneseater with a two story vent.......In some places in Kentuck $ W Va they would think they were in heaven.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in