Backyard Wood Burning Boilers
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backyard Wood Burning Boilers

Now broadcasting from the new MOVE compound somewhere on Absecon Bay

Default Backyard Wood Burning Boilers

If you are thinking about putting in this kind of system, and I have been, better check with your neighbors first. apparently some may be allergic to the smoke.

VILLAS — In a unanimous vote, Lower Township Council passed an ordinance that would allow residents or township officials to sign a complaint against a neighbor operating a wood burning boiler in their backyard.
    The ordinance states “No person operating an outdoor wood burning boiler, outdoor furnace, outdoor wood heater or outdoor wood-fired hydronic heaters shall allow smoke or other products of combustion to escape in such a manner as to be offensive, obnoxious, injurious to any person or to create a nuisance of any duration that negatively impacts any property….”
    The ordinance allows enforcement by the issuance of a “complaint-summons as attested by a private citizen” or by an appropriate township official “after personal observation of the offensive condition.”
    Penalties may be assessed against the property from the township as well as any regulating government agency.
    The ordinance is a result of complaints by residents of South Andrielle Avenue in Erma, voiced at previous council meetings concerning the Banach residence. Adjoining property owners and folks who live down the street have complained to the township that the boiler sends smoke inside their homes.
    The boiler in question was a wood-burning, outdoor Central Boiler E Classic 2400 the Banach family uses to heat their home and swimming pool.
    Last month, Banach told the Herald the wood-burning boiler is no different than a fireplace. Everyone else in the neighborhood has a fireplace, he said.
    During public comment at Monday’s meeting, South Andrielle Avenue resident Diane Martin thanked council for approving the ordinance but expressed concerns a resident could get a permit to install an outdoor wood burning boiler if they met property setback requirements.
    Township Manager Michael Voll said the matter will be discussed by the township Planning Board at its October 20 meeting.
    “It has definitely changed our neighborhood, you don’t want it in your backyard,” said Martin.
    She said neighbors would prefer an outright ban on outdoor wood-burning boilers.
    “People weren’t supposed to smell smoke, that’s why they put warnings on cigarette packages,” said Martin.
    Voll said he spoke with the chief of police about enforcement of the ordinance. Police will respond to complaints, said Voll.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

funny you post this.
    we have 4 neighbors near us with them. don across the street is now starting a petition to have them banned which i agree with him. why should i have to have my house all closed up so the others can burn crap in there back yard. i should not have to have smoke fill the house up and i should not have the windows closed during nice weather.
    Last edited by phish4fun; 10-11-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    FISH COME AND GO,BUT THE MEMORIES OF FISHING WITH FAMILY WILL LAST FOREVER.

I should have figured as much from someone like you. Worried about every penny of gas prices, to the extent that you will probably be riding that new bike of yours in the snow but if your neighbors try to save a couple of bucks, well then thats just plain wrong. The somoke stacks on the ones I have seen are every bit as high a those on a rancher. Whats next? No smokers in the neighborhood? Do you have a pool? I don't like the sound of kids playing in the pool, can I ban pools as well? Or should I be forced to keep my windows closed. But then considering your choice in political leadership, why am I not surprised?

stop your whining.
    the people around us just have fire pits ,not to save money.
    no problems with fireplaces to heat a home during the winter. houses are closed up any way.
    growing up we only had a franklin stove for heat as my dad and i would cut down trees for the wood.
    my wife has severe asthma which gets aggravated from the smoke.
    if you had to deal with it first hand,you would also agree.

oh by the way,yes i ride year round unless its raining or snowing as i enjoy it.
    Last edited by phish4fun; 10-11-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Study just released on inhalation hazards of wood emissions, not god for you. High particulate count also.

Quote Originally Posted by phish4fun View Post
    stop your whining.
    the people around us just have fire pits ,not to save money.
    no problems with fireplaces to heat a home during the winter. houses are closed up any way.
    my wife has severe asthma which gets aggravated from the smoke.
    if you had to deal with it first hand,you would also agree.

oh by the way,yes i ride year round unless its raining or snowing as i enjoy it.
    Do you have a pool in your yard? Once again, would you be whining if someone got a petition to have them banned? I would bet you would. And you ride your bike in the snow for one reason. We all know what that is. For weeks we had to hear about you ridng your bike. Now that the price per gallon has come down a few cents, we don't have to hear about it anymore. So tell me, why is that? And even though I have owned 8 or 9 bikes in my lifetime, I don't like them anymore. I had a brother that died as a result of an accident on one and they bring back bad memories. Do I have the right to have all bikes banned from my neighborhood? Are you for having fire pits banned or do you have one so thats ok?

On a side note, my buddy installed one (no neighbors) and the only complaint was that due to length of run from boiler to house it took awhile to get hot water to the house. He plumbed his toilets with hot water and it solved much of the problem. Never took a dump at his place but I imagine it was "different".

Look at the stack on this unit. How can that possible be any different then a fireplace on a rancher?

A pool? Get real! My dads neighbor has an outdoor furnace which he burns fresh pine and whatever other lumber he can grab. This beast belches black smoke all summer long. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is when the wind blows right and fills my dads beautiful log home with black smoke. Your pool analogy is lame.

Oh yeah thats a beauty. Cannot wait to see them all over America. Looks like an Outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabiki View Post
    A pool? Get real! My dads neighbor has an outdoor furnace which he burns fresh pine and whatever other lumber he can grab. This beast belches black smoke all summer long. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is when the wind blows right and fills my dads beautiful log home with black smoke. Your pool analogy is lame.
    This was basically one woman that complained. So if one woman can force this kind of legislation, why not for a pool? There are already noise restricitons on the books. Who is to say they can't expnad on that because one person objects? And once again, look at the stack on that unit. How is it any different then the fireplace on a rancher. Does that mean that you cannot have a fireplace or a wood burner in a ranch or other one story unit? Does you dad have a fireplace in his log cabin?

you have to excuse mikey. he goes off on tangents all the time.makes himself feel better.
    no pool for me mikey.
    as for the bikes,i put more miles on my bikes per year then you do in your car as thats what i enjoy to do and actually the wife enjoys the riding also.
    you lost someone to a bike wreck.sorry to hear that. thats the risk you take while riding.
    your grasping at crap again. stay on topic.
    you started a thread about back yard burning. i gave my thoughts on the subject. then you jump ship and go defensive like i attacked you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelc View Post
    If you are thinking about putting in this kind of system, and I have been, better check with your neighbors first. apparently some may be allergic to the smoke.

If your neighbor is allergic to the smoke , how do you handle that issue ?
    "

Quote Originally Posted by The Sabiki View Post
    I have to agree, the pool idea was not good. Call it what you want if I am affected in a negative way by what someone else is doing I’m going to complain. Smoke in my house is one of those things.
    Last edited by fishhard; 10-11-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phish4fun View Post
    you have to excuse mikey. he goes off on tangents all the time.makes himself feel better.
    no pool for me mikey.
    as for the bikes,i put more miles on my bikes per year then you do in your car as thats what i enjoy to do and actually the wife enjoys the riding also.
    you lost someone to a bike wreck.sorry to hear that. thats the risk you take while riding.
    your grasping at crap again. stay on topic.
    you started a thread about back yard burning. i gave my thoughts on the subject. then you jump ship and go defensive like i attacked you.
    I didn't jump ship, the point is that one woman complained and they forged an ordinance about this type of unit. And I asked how it was different then a fireplace in a rancher or a firepit ion your yard or a smoker. None of which you opted to answer. And so your wife has severe asthma. That the chance you take living in a house with windows. So now, while I am off on a tangent, do what you normally do. shoot off an email to one of your sources.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in