North Carolina Republicans post bill to prevent college students from voting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Republicans post bill to prevent college students from voting

Banned

Thumbs down North Carolina Republicans post bill to prevent college students from voting

The attempts by Republicans to limit legitimate voting for their partisan gain are truly shameful. Now...in North Carolina, college students would have to go to their parent's home address to vote or face losing a NC state income tax deduction. So they can either miss a day (or more) of college to go home to vote, or not vote.

"North Carolina Republicans have filed a bill that would penalize parents of college students who vote in the town where they go to college. Students would still be allowed to register to vote in their college townóbut if they did, their parents would lose a tax deduction of up to $2,500. The same bill would also force people to have their car registered and be registered to vote in the same place, again targeting college students who are likely to register their cars in their hometowns but vote where they attend college." This quote was from Daily Kos. Another report is here:

http://www.wral.com/senate-bill-seek...vote/12298695/

I particularly enjoy the logic that some Republicans are using in a feeble attempt to justify their attempt to effectively block Democratic votes:
    "Jay DeLancy of the NC Voter Integrity Project also voiced support for the student voting restrictions, citing a case in which college students in Buncombe County changed the outcome of a race for a county commission seat in 2012.

"That race showed how easily college students can be manipulated like pawns," DeLancy said in a press release. "These bills will protect students from such abuse."

Gee, that is so thoughtful of them, trying to protect college students by restricting their right to vote.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

this will have a marginal effect considering all the undocumented democrats streaming across our borders

Banned
    Bastrop Texas. In the lost pines on the Colorado River.

I'm for it.

Where is their legal residence? Most likely at their parents property, then that is where they should vote. It prevents them from voting in multiple locations.
    For those who talk of freedom and rights remember those who make sure you have them.

Sounds normal; the gripe is just more democrat bs trying to advance the fraud that benefits them. When I voted as a student while I was living away from home I had to use absentee ballots. It's all about residency & registering. Like getting on a plane, voting should require a photo id.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimingFisherMan View Post
    Sounds normal; the gripe is just more democrat bs trying to advance the fraud that benefits them. When I voted as a student while I was living away from home I had to use absentee ballots. It's all about residency & registering. Like getting on a plane, voting should require a photo id.
    seriously, what a phucking joke, you can vote without id but not travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hammer View Post
    Where is their legal residence? Most likely at their parents property, then that is where they should vote. It prevents them from voting in multiple locations.
    agree. you would think some on here would get it but .....nope.

Banned

It is about diluting a strongly Democratic block. Take a university town with 30,000 students, most of which will vote in that town. That town will most likely be solidy Dem because of that. Now spread them out to go back home...that block gets diluted, and Republicans have a better chance of controlling the univeristy town again.

It is essentially the same as gerrymandering. It is about blocking the Democratic vote. Hey, I realize, you guys are clinging to whatever hope you have. You try to hide outright vote blockage under the guise of "protecting the students" by preventing income tax deductions for the parents.

Keep hope alive!

Quote Originally Posted by LBI SurfRat View Post
    agree. you would think some on here would get it but .....nope.

It is about diluting a strongly Democratic block.
    A voting block of overgrown children who party on their parents' dime and have no real world experience? Of course they're going to vote democrat. They see a party that tells them their lifestyle never has to end. You can still do whatever you want and there will always be a parent to pick up after you. Nice.

joc

Quote Originally Posted by FisherDan View Post
    ..... So they can either miss a day (or more) of college to go home to vote, or not vote.........
    I blame the teachers. If they had taught these college kids how to read and write instead of changing their test answers for them the students could use an absentee ballot. Postage stamps are still cheap, thanks to a Million $$$$ per hour subsidy.

Remember this lady? She admitted voting six times For Obama in 2012, and only one vote was actually at the polls. Maybe they could retain her services to run a seminar at the college campus to teach the students how to vote without traveling or missing classes.

http://lonelyconservative.com/2013/0...ted-six-times/

It is about diluting a strongly Democratic block. Take a university town with 30,000 students, most of which will vote in that town. That town will most likely be solidy Dem because of that. Now spread them out to go back home...that block gets diluted, and Republicans have a better chance of controlling the univeristy town again.

It is essentially the same as gerrymandering. It is about blocking the Democratic vote. Hey, I realize, you guys are clinging to whatever hope you have. You try to hide outright vote blockage under the guise of "protecting the students" by preventing income tax deductions for the parents.

Keep hope alive!
    Now imagine you live in that town. Would you want the politics of your home town determined by out of town college kids? Seriously???? Think about it.

The democrat party truly is the party for stupid people and those who prey on them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimingFisherMan View Post
    Sounds normal; the gripe is just more democrat bs trying to advance the fraud that benefits them. When I voted as a student while I was living away from home I had to use absentee ballots.
    Of course. When I was in college, my permanent residence was my parent's home. I voted there or via absentee ballot. As usual, nothing to see here, move along folks.
    gettinwet was right all along about President Trump and I was wrong!

joc

Why do you think it is a good idea for transients with no real ties to the area to be setting policy for the area? Kids that can't take care of themselves, no real job, limited or no real life experience passing laws that they will not need to follow or pay for. Maybe the permanent residents and business owners and people with (their own) skin in the game should be the ones influencing local policy.

It is about diluting a strongly Democratic block.
    I would call that a strongly Idiotic block that need diluting. I'm for anything we can do to stem the tide of low-information voters.
    I don't always know what I want, but I usually know what I don't want.

I love the idea. Raise the voting age to 30, require that you be employed, have id, pay taxes, and must pass a not-so-basic politics test.

Too many uneducated, idealistic idiots out there voting for Utopia.
    To my bitches - - - PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP!! --- Get used to it.

Proud to be an original member of the "Band of Useless Idiots"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in