Only 16% say no to marijuana legalization - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Only 16% say no to marijuana legalization

Quote Originally Posted by NEED2FISH View Post
    Insanity running wild, you picked a perfect handle. You have lost your mind. This country was much better before drugs were made illegal .
    So the country deteriorated because we made pot illegal?

I think we deteriorated because people have NOT had to fight for their freedom for so many generations, that as a whole, the nation no longer appreciates it. Lack of work ethic, not respecting your elders, not taking education seriously, not valuing a stable family environment, those are the reasons we have declined. It has little to do with outlawing pot and heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    You righ, lest not fight crime becasue criminals will just move around
    Legalizing pot is not "fighting" crime. If anything, it's admitting we can't fight it, giving in, and hoping it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by melvinthefisherman View Post
    All we need is liberty.
    Liberty to do what you want with your own body and your life.
    Mel, why is it you refuse to answer what will happen when irresponsible people become heroin addicts and end as losers in rehab that can no longer support their families?

Who is going to pay for the rehab, and the welfare for that widow the OD'd addict's kids?

Who pays for that?
    To my bitches - - - PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP!! --- Get used to it.

Proud to be an original member of the "Band of Useless Idiots"

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Liberty to do what you want with your own body and your life.
    How would our Founding Fathers respond to that? Take some time to think about this before you respond.
    Legal Reform
    Reduce the numbers of Lawyers in Public Office

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post
    Mel, why is it you refuse to answer what will happen when irresponsible people become heroin addicts and end as losers in rehab that can no longer support their families?

Who is going to pay for the rehab, and the welfare for that widow the OD'd addict's kids?

Who pays for that?
    Who is paying for people who eat like pigs and at the end kill themselves, abandoning their families and therefore put an unprecedented burden on our society. Obesity dwarfs the expense to our society created by heroin and all other drugs combined. Let’s stop the hypocrisy. Would you be ok with the government dictating what and how much you eat, how much you exercise? Are you overweight?

Who is paying for people who eat like pigs and at the end kill themselves, abandoning their families and therefore put an unprecedented burden on our society. Obesity dwarfs the expense to our society created by heroin and all other drugs combined. Let’s stop the hypocrisy. Would you be ok with the government dictating what and how much you eat, how much you exercise? Are you overweight?
    One "HAS TO" eat something. Literally. You HAVE TO eat. Eating right isn't easy, and it isn't cheap. And when I develop health issues later in life, the health insurance THAT I BUY WITH MY MONEY is in theory supposed to take care of me.

One does NOT "have to" do drugs. One does NOT have to try heroin "just once." And the last time I checked, there was no insurance one could buy with their money that would pay for their rehab and pay all the welfare needs of their family when they OD and can no longer work.

It's not about hypocrisy. It's about keeping the argument honest and comparing apples to apples.

The founding fathers would see someone on drugs, assume they were a witch because they were acting crazy and would burn them at the stake.

One "HAS TO" eat something. Literally. You HAVE TO eat. Eating right isn't easy, and it isn't cheap. And when I develop health issues later in life, the health insurance THAT I BUY WITH MY MONEY is in theory supposed to take care of me.

One does NOT "have to" do drugs. One does NOT have to try heroin "just once." And the last time I checked, there was no insurance one could buy with their money that would pay for their rehab and pay all the welfare needs of their family when they OD and can no longer work.

It's not about hypocrisy. It's about keeping the argument honest and comparing apples to apples.

One does not have to eat to be 30,50,100lb or more overweight. It costs nothing more to eat less so don’t give me this BS you can’t afford to be healthy. JZ raised the question of cost to society while ignoring other BY FAR greater problems we choose to ignore and you know it so my argument is right on and relevant. It is an undisputable fact that obesity, not to mention alcohol and Tabaco, dwarf the cost to our society as compared to illegal drugs. I go further, this is only my believe without any statistical info, that legal drugs kill more people than illegal drugs. Control your own life, do what you want with your own body and let others do the same.

One does not have to eat to be 30,50,100lb or more overweight. It costs nothing more to eat less so don’t give me this BS you can’t afford to be healthy. JZ raised the question of cost to society while ignoring other BY FAR greater problems we choose to ignore and you know it so my argument is right on and relevant. It is an undisputable fact that obesity, not to mention alcohol and Tabaco, dwarf the cost to our society as compared to illegal drugs. I go further, this is only my believe without any statistical info, that legal drugs kill more people than illegal drugs. Control your own life, do what you want with your own body and let others do the same.
    Keep it honest! I said "eating right."

"Eating right" is a lot more than just not being overweight.

Ever compare the price of 2lbs of Strawberries at Costco to 1 lb of ORGANIC Strawberries anywhere else?
    How about the cost of tap water to bottled water?
    How about the ease of finding organic chicken vs any old chemical chicken?
    How about the ease of getting the kids some chicken nuggets instead of taking a half hour at night to cook them a healthy meal?
    How about buying organic fruit that goes bad after a few days, instead of a pack of pop tarts?

One can be a perfectly healthy weight, eat perfectly healthy portions, but if the quality of the food is poor, you'll still get diabetes or some other nutritional based issue/disease. Hell, you could simply inherit the trait, and have to go way out of your way with regard to eating excessively well to keep it under control.

"Eating right" is not easy or cheap. It's time consuming. It's a hassle. And everyone HAS TO eat.

So please don't compare something that is expensive and inconvenient to merely saying no to drugs.

Rockledge PA, Ocean City NJ, Cassville PA

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtop View Post
    How would our Founding Fathers respond to that? Take some time to think about this before you respond.
    What would they respond?

As to your insurance bit the numbers of fat people with serious medical problems, in need of extensive medical care is SO great, that even is a small percentage of them don’t have insurance the cost to our society will still make cost of caring for drug users a drop in the ocean.
    Quick search :
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Many-People-Die-From-Obesity-Each-Year?---Shockingly-Hundreds-Per-Day!&id=3827239
    However, research shows that in the US alone obesity related illnesses claim over 850 lives a day and over 300,000 lives each year
    Heroin kills 2,000 a year in America
    Cocaine kills 2,500 Americans a year.
    Alcohol kills 80,000 Americans a year
    440,000 Americans die from tobacco use every year

A study conducted between 1982 and 1998 found that approximately 32,000 Americans die of prescription drug overdoses a year

You want to talk about an honest discussion? Read the above and start again.

BTW, from the above numbers if only 5% of fat people don't have insurance you as a taxpayer end up paying for almost 3 times as many than the nuber dying form heroin and Cocaine combined:-)
    Last edited by lunatic; 04-04-2014 at 11:28 AM.

I believe there are college degrees in pot now in California....the war is over ...live and let live ..
    The new mini me

I think we deteriorated because people have NOT had to fight for their freedom for so many generations, that as a whole, the nation no longer appreciates it. Lack of work ethic, not respecting your elders, not taking education seriously, not valuing a stable family environment, those are the reasons we have declined. It has little to do with outlawing pot and heroin.
    We have deteriorated becasue the majority has developed a sense of entitlement. We have become a handout nation that relieves people of responsibility for their own actions. Rather than tell people that their problems are their own fault -- the result of their own shortcomings and bad decisions -- we allow them to escape reality by telling them it is someone else's fault and giving them all kinds of stuff for nothing. Endorsng the idea that it is fine for people to escape reality throw other means will just hasten our demise.

Keep it honest! I said "eating right."

"Eating right" is a lot more than just not being overweight.

Ever compare the price of 2lbs of Strawberries at Costco to 1 lb of ORGANIC Strawberries anywhere else?
    How about the cost of tap water to bottled water?
    How about the ease of finding organic chicken vs any old chemical chicken?
    How about the ease of getting the kids some chicken nuggets instead of taking a half hour at night to cook them a healthy meal?
    How about buying organic fruit that goes bad after a few days, instead of a pack of pop tarts?

One can be a perfectly healthy weight, eat perfectly healthy portions, but if the quality of the food is poor, you'll still get diabetes or some other nutritional based issue/disease. Hell, you could simply inherit the trait, and have to go way out of your way with regard to eating excessively well to keep it under control.

"Eating right" is not easy or cheap. It's time consuming. It's a hassle. And everyone HAS TO eat.

So please don't compare something that is expensive and inconvenient to merely saying no to drugs.

Total BS in context of what we are talking about. It is easily controlled if one is only willing to do it. Stuffing your face at every meal like this is your last supper is not the way but that is the way for most. Are you overweight?

Aston Pa and Hutchinson Island, Jensen Beach Fla.

Legalizing pot is not "fighting" crime. If anything, it's admitting we can't fight it, giving in, and hoping it goes away.

Who pays for that?
    I think legalizing weed is not an admission that we can not win the fight against drugs but that weed never should have been put in that catagory to begin with.
    Surething <br />Sea Isle

Just because the government forces me to pay for people who become unhealthy by overeating or drinking doesn't mean that the govenrment should also force me to pay for those who destroy their lives with drugs. Two wrongs don't make a right. If we want liberty, let's be consistent. People have the liberty to destroy their lives by overeasting, drinking, or however they want. Other people should have the liberty to not pay for it. Now, liberals may believe that there is some "moral" obligation to help those who have hurt themselves, but they should not be able to force their own moral belief on others. Of course, they likely will come up with some explanation for why they are entitled to force their moral beliefs on others while others are not free to impose theirs on them. Same old stuff.

That's easy: the taxes on the legalized drugs will pay for it. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The U.S. has 1.571 million people in prison. This is a staggering number: take a city the size of Philadelphia or Phoenix, and put every single person inside it in jail. It's crazy.

It's estimated that as many as 60% of the prison population is there because of drugs. These are both non-violent drug offenders (dealers, etc.), and people who are in jail for violent crimes associated with the drug trade (like turf wars among drug dealers). There will be none of these crimes when drugs are made legal (when's the last time you heard about someone going to jail over a turf war among rival single-malt Scotch gangs?).

But we'll be conservative here, and we'll say that the prison population would decrease by 25% with the legalization of drugs. I think it will be more than that -- I'd bet a months pay it will drop over 50% -- but for the argument here, we'll use the smaller number. So, let's do some math:

1.571 million x 25% = 392,750 fewer prisoners. At an average cost of $40,000 per inmate (with hidden costs, like pensions for prison guards, the real number is higher, more like $60k, but we'll again be conservative), this works out to nearly 63 billion dollars a year. And this is without taking into account other costs of the war on drugs -- the court system, parole and probation officers, etc.

And on top of all these savings, you'll have piles of loot coming in from taxes on drugs. When drugs are legal, there will be PLENTY of money to pay for drug treatment.

Our insane war on drugs is morally bankrupt, and has been since we let religious jerks impose their obnoxious moral beliefs on us 100 years ago. This is obvious to any sensible person. But what's even more obvious is that it is bankrupting the country financially, and that legalization will be a giant step toward fiscal sanity. It can't happen soon enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in