Only 16% say no to marijuana legalization - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 336

Thread: Only 16% say no to marijuana legalization

  1. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania. WMUs 5D and 3B
    Posts
    31,010

    Default

    I disagree, we buy drugs all the time at the pharmacy. The only difference between legal and illegal drugs is the tax money collected.
    I was comparing the use of guns to the use of illegal drugs. Since a few are for the legalization of all of them, let's go ahead and taok about cocaine and heroin. They are highly addictive and cannot be used responsibly.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    I was comparing the use of guns to the use of illegal drugs. Since a few are for the legalization of all of them, let's go ahead and taok about cocaine and heroin. They are highly addictive and cannot be used responsibly.
    I understand what you are both saying, but heroin is essentially the same thing is Oxycodon, Percocet, Morphine etc... It is used all the time responsibly.


    Your Local Source for Offshore Tackle:
    Spreader Bars
    Trolling Lures
    Shark Rigs
    Ballyhoo Pin Rigs

  4. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mako Man View Post
    I understand what you are both saying, but heroin is essentially the same thing is Oxycodon, Percocet, Morphine etc... It is used all the time responsibly.

    Ding Ding Ding we have a winner

  5. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    sunny subtropical Boca Raton Florida
    Posts
    15,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    I was comparing the use of guns to the use of illegal drugs. Since a few are for the legalization of all of them, let's go ahead and taok about cocaine and heroin. They are highly addictive and cannot be used responsibly.
    What does "used responsibly" mean? If I am endangering no one but myself, am I using it responsibly?
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

  6. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania. WMUs 5D and 3B
    Posts
    31,010

    Default

    but heroin is essentially the same thing is Oxycodon, Percocet, Morphine etc... It is used all the time responsibly.
    With a prescription from a doctor with specific instructions for their use and a predetermined stop date. Legalize heroin for recreational use and you will get different results. And prescription drugs can be used irresponsibly and often do. Until an addiction-free substitute for strong pain relief is discovered, it may just be a necessary evil.

  7. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    sunny subtropical Boca Raton Florida
    Posts
    15,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    Legalize heroin for recreational use and you will get different results.
    You would do heroin if it were legal?
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

  8. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania. WMUs 5D and 3B
    Posts
    31,010

    Default

    What does "used responsibly" mean? If I am endangering no one but myself, am I using it responsibly?
    If you use drugs that are highly addictive, you're most likely going to become an addict. You will hurt those around you, likely kill yourself and will definitely not be productive.

    If you shoot guns, you can do that safely. Drugs alter your state of mind. Just be using them, makes you less safe. When you're addicted, you're either impaired or stung out in withdraw. Does that happen to all gun owners?

  9. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    sunny subtropical Boca Raton Florida
    Posts
    15,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    If you use drugs that are highly addictive, you're most likely going to become an addict. You will hurt those around you, likely kill yourself and will definitely not be productive.

    If you shoot guns, you can do that safely. Drugs alter your state of mind. Just be using them, makes you less safe. When you're addicted, you're either impaired or stung out in withdraw. Does that happen to all gun owners?
    Alcohol alters your state of mind, is addictive, and many people have a genetic disposition to becoming alcoholics. When you are on alcohol, you are impaired, and make poor decisions. Yet alcohol remains legal, and prohibiting alcohol was a huge failure.

    Again, we aren't arguing "Are drugs good or bad". Drugs are bad, and will continue to be a problem either way. The discussion is which creates more problems, legalization or criminalization.
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

  10. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melvinthefisherman View Post
    Why can't we let adults put whatever they want in their own bodies. If someone goes to work and makes money that is there's to spend they should be able to buy whatever they want and put whatever they want into their bodies. I think it is insanity to lock people up for drugs. Let the people go and let's keep our jails for actual crime.
    What do you consider real crime? How about the kid in Bensalem who stabbed his friend to death after an afternoon of doing mushrooms and smoking pot. I would guess that 85 to 90 percent of crime in philadelphia in some way or another involves drugs and/ or alchahol. From burglaries to car break ins to get money for drugs and assaults and murders on drug corners all over the city. Also, most domestic assaults involve drugs and alchahol which anymore go hand in hand.

    Just legalize everything and live in a "only the strong survive" mode. It is all about morals and the direction this country is headed in and it ain't looking good for my kids

  11. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyZuks View Post
    People escape reality in a variety of ways, from video games to movies, from drugs to vacations. Your "everyone should learn to cope" argument isn't a valid one.

    Again, this isn't a discussion of "are drugs good or bad"... it's "is legalization good or bad"

    Apply some rules of logic. Just because some people currently escape reality through some means doesn't mean that the govenment should endorse other means of escaping reality. Under your version of "logic" the govenment should legalize murder with bazookas since some people already commit murder with guns and governments for the last 5000 years have been unable to stop murder. It doesn't follow. Indeed, the fact that people are already seeking to escape reality is precisely the basis for my argument. Namely, that we have a serious growing problem in the US with a huge percentage of people having difficulty coping with life and trying to escape reality. This problem is related to all kinds of issues like the growth of the welfare state -- since people can't cope, they want others to take care of them. When you have that problem, the "solution" is not to make it worse by officially endorsing escaping reality.

  12. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    sunny subtropical Boca Raton Florida
    Posts
    15,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drewmaen View Post
    What do you consider real crime? How about the kid in Bensalem who stabbed his friend to death after an afternoon of doing mushrooms and smoking pot. I would guess that 85 to 90 percent of crime in philadelphia in some way or another involves drugs and/ or alchahol. From burglaries to car break ins to get money for drugs and assaults and murders on drug corners all over the city. Also, most domestic assaults involve drugs and alchahol which anymore go hand in hand.

    Just legalize everything and live in a "only the strong survive" mode. It is all about morals and the direction this country is headed in and it ain't looking good for my kids
    You talk about a kid who stabbed another kid... did making drugs illegal prevent that from happening?

    Illegal drugs create crime. No doubt about it. During prohibition crime shot up, and after prohibition it returned to pre-prohibition levels.

    Quote Originally Posted by insanityrunningwild View Post
    Apply some rules of logic. Just because some people currently escape reality through some means doesn't mean that the govenment should endorse other means of escaping reality. Under your version of "logic" the govenment should legalize murder with bazookas since some people already commit murder with guns and governments for the last 5000 years have been unable to stop murder. It doesn't follow. Indeed, the fact that people are already seeking to escape reality is precisely the basis for my argument. Namely, that we have a serious growing problem in the US with a huge percentage of people having difficulty coping with life and trying to escape reality. When you have a problem, the "solution" is not to make it worse by officially endorsing escaping relality.
    We have spent trillions of dollars on a war on drugs, and we still have a drug problem. Now we have billionaire drug cartels, and millionaire drug dealers. We are funding the bad guys. We are supporting terrorism.

    Making drugs illegal makes our situation worse, not better.
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

  13. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mystic Island
    Posts
    62,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melvinthefisherman View Post
    I think the issue is the government has no right to tell me what I can and cannot put into my body and what I can and cannot by with the fruits of my labor.
    I agree with that sentiment.

    But here's the problem. You go out and try heroin "just once," and become a heroin addict. Now you can't hold down a job, and are a complete loser, or are in drug rehab for the rest of your life.

    Who pays for that? Because I don't want it to be my taxes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyZuks View Post
    "If we legalize marijuana, fathers will be shooting heroin with hookers in a few weeks" is not a logical conclusion. At least not in the real world
    Some will. They'll try it "just once." And once they become a lowlife loser addict, who is going to pay the welfare for their wife and kids when they OD?

    And please don't say my tax dollars.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyZuks View Post
    Drugs are dangerous, and should be carefully watched by the federal government, and made completely illegal to keep them out of the wrong hands. Think of the children

    Guns are dangerous, and should be carefully watched by the federal government, and made completely illegal to keep them out of the wrong hands. Think of the children
    One size fits all, eh? I won't speak for you, but I'm better than that.

    We have rules in place, thinking of the children, that prevents them from buying tobacco and alcohol.

    But I guess you would be ok with hookers on high school corners?

    Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    If you use drugs that are highly addictive, you're most likely going to become an addict. You will hurt those around you, likely kill yourself and will definitely not be productive........
    Simple common sense, and the reason I point to heroin, yet the idealists refuse to see it.
    To my bitches - - - PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP!! --- Get used to it.

    Proud to be an original member of the "Band of Useless Idiots"


  14. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania. WMUs 5D and 3B
    Posts
    31,010

    Default

    You would do heroin if it were legal?
    As a 43 year old married father of two, no. If I were a 16 year old looking for a thrill, sure. And it's legal, so why not?????

  15. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    sunny subtropical Boca Raton Florida
    Posts
    15,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post
    You go out and try heroin "just once," and become a heroin addict. Now you can't hold down a job, and are a complete loser, or are in drug rehab for the rest of your life.
    So lets make it illegal, and heroin will go away, right? Oh wait, we tried that and it didn't work

    Lets say for the sake of argument that legalization made crime go down, drug use go down, made the streets safe, de-funded terrorists and caused your taxes to go down... would you be for or against it?
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

  16. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    sunny subtropical Boca Raton Florida
    Posts
    15,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    As a 43 year old married father of two, no. If I were a 16 year old looking for a thrill, sure. And it's legal, so why not?????
    No drug dealer to get it from. If it were legal, you would have to be 21 to purchase it
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •