Only 16% say no to marijuana legalization
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Only 16% say no to marijuana legalization

Default Only 16% say no to marijuana legalization

Lest just get it done and stop wasting money on something we already proved we are unable to stop.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...table-23158661

Poll: Nationwide Marijuana Legalization Inevitable

DENVER April 2, 2014 (AP)

Nationwide marijuana legalization seems inevitable to three-fourths of Americans, whether they support it or not, according to a new poll out Wednesday.
    The Pew Research Center survey on the nation's shifting attitudes about drug policy also showed increased support for moving away from mandatory sentences for non-violent drug offenders.
    The telephone survey found that 75 percent of respondents — including majorities of both supporters and opponents of legal marijuana— think that the sale and use of pot eventually will be legal nationwide. It was the first time that question had been asked.
    Some 39 percent of respondents said pot should be legal for personal adult use. Forty-four percent of those surveyed said it should be legal only for medicinal use. Just 16 percent said it should not be legal at all.
    The responses come as two states have legalized recreational marijuana, with more than 20 states and Washington, D.C., allowing some medical use of the drug.
    "It's just a matter of time before it's in more states," said Steve Pratley of Denver, a 51-year-old pipefitter who voted for legalization in Colorado in 2012.
    Pratley, who did not participate in the Pew survey, agreed with 76 percent of respondents who said people who use small amounts of marijuana shouldn't go to jail.
    "If marijuana isn't legalized, it fills up the jails, and that's just stupid," Pratley said.
    Legalization opponents, however, drew a distinction between making pot legal for all and thinking that pot users belong in jail.
    "It's an illegal drug, period. I don't see it spreading," said Laura Sanchez, a 55-year-old retiree in Denver who voted against legalization. She agreed that pot smokers don't belong in jail, but she disagreed with legalization.
    "I've seen no proof that it's good for anybody," said Sanchez, who also did not participate in the survey.
    The poll suggested that despite shifting attitudes on legalization, the public remains concerned about drug abuse, with 32 percent of those surveyed calling it a crisis and 55 percent of respondents viewing it as a serious national problem.
    And a narrow majority, 54 percent, said marijuana legalization would lead to more underage people trying it.
    As for mandatory minimum sentences, public attitudes have been shifting for years.
    In 2001, the survey was about evenly divided on whether it was a good thing or bad thing for states to move away from mandatory minimum sentences for non-violent drug offenders. In 2014, poll respondents favored the move by a nearly 2-to-1 margin, or 63 percent to 32 percent. The other 5 percent either didn't respond or said they didn't know.
    Public officials are well aware of the public's shifting attitudes on drug penalties.
    Just last month, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder testified in support of proposed sentence reductions for some non-violent drug traffickers in an effort to reserve the "the harshest penalties for the most serious drug offenders."
    "Certain types of cases result in too many Americans going to prison for too long, and at times for no truly good public safety reason," Holder said last month at the U.S. Sentencing Commission.
    Drug legalization activists said the Pew results come as no surprise.
    "We see a growing bipartisan recognition that mandatory minimums went too far and did more harm than good," said Ethan Nadelmann, head of the New York-based Drug Policy Alliance, which opposes criminal penalties for non-violent drug users.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Co is projected to bring in 40 million in taxes in 2-14... 2,040,000,000 a yr... what will it go to? if all states made it legal? plus im sure the larger states will bring in more taxes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...a-tax-revenue/
    Last edited by phillyfishing; 04-02-2014 at 02:42 PM.

rob

people are insane. no question about it.

I'm just waiting for yellowstone's super volcano to wipe us out and be done with it.

------------

Rob

It 4:20 someplace.....
    Its 4:20 someplace.....
    Sharks have a week dedicated to him..AAAI-ISMA Certified Cycling Instructor
    AAAI-ISMA Certified Kick Box Instructor

Fire up !

I'm ready for it, I bought a few stocks in the industry that I can't wait for to take off.

Your Local Source for Offshore Tackle:
    Spreader Bars
    Trolling Lures
    Shark Rigs
    Ballyhoo Pin Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    people are insane. no question about it.

I'm just waiting for yellowstone's super volcano to wipe us out and be done with it.

I hate to sound like a cliché but insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. It is more insane to me what we are doing now than legalizing all drugs.

rob

Right, so now we think government *regulating* it will be the answer? other than just more $ for politicians?

That's insane.

ok, so decriminalize it. Take the laws off the books. Get rid of laws about it, other than it's covered in existing laws like no smoking laws, distracted or DUI laws etc.

If folks are going to grow it anyway, then let them grow it, get out of the way. But no, instead it's going to be made into a taxable business.

And our politicians think this is a good idea because it's $$ in their pockets to squander and pander with.

Meanwhile, pot screws up people, but I believe that about much alcohol consumption, so strike my comment from the record, please.

------------

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mako Man View Post
    I'm ready for it, I bought a few stocks in the industry that I can't wait for to take off.
    Smart man! What did you buy? Would love to get in on that!

Reading the patterns
    "His roots run beneath the island" E.K.
    "It may not be popular but I'm darn proud to say I'm a hard working, honset, tax paying , first one out last one in comm fishermen." F.P.

Can't stop murder or theft. Humans have been trying for centuries and have failed. All it results in is overcrowded prisons. Let's legalize murder and theft. Great "reasoning" process.

Quote Originally Posted by insanityrunningwild View Post
    Can't stop murder or theft. Humans have been trying for centuries and have failed. All it results in is overcrowded prisons. Let's legalize murder and theft. Great "reasoning" process.
    So murder and theft is the same as smoking weed?............Not even close
    EVEN FISH STAY OUT OF TROUBLE IF THEY JUST KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Right, so now we think government *regulating* it will be the answer? other than just more $ for politicians?

Do you really like it better criminal enterprise keeping control over it with all the crime that comes with it?

That's insane.

ok, so decriminalize it. Take the laws off the books. Get rid of laws about it, other than it's covered in existing laws like no smoking laws, distracted or DUI laws etc.

If folks are going to grow it anyway, then let them grow it, get out of the way. But no, instead it's going to be made into a taxable business.

I couldn’t agree more but you are not stopping the government from taxing us.
    Decriminalization should happen immediately and if it did happened less people would be for legalization. Decriminalization does not allow production and sale but the user is not a criminal.

And our politicians think this is a good idea because it's $$ in their pockets to squander and pander with.

Better in their pocket than in hands of hard core criminals

Meanwhile, pot screws up people, but I believe that about much alcohol consumption, so strike my comment from the record, please.
    What really screws up people is going to jail for using.

Quote Originally Posted by fshlot View Post
    So murder and theft is the same as smoking weed?............Not even close
    What, you never heard of killer weed.
    It steals brain cells and is murder on the IQ

would not be able to participate must always study for the big TEST!
    Last edited by rfanow; 04-02-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Banned

All I need to a cool buzz and a tasty wave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in