Surfboard question for Barrell
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Surfboard question for Barrell

Default Surfboard question for Barrell

I bought a killer Yater funboard in your shop about 2 years ago and I love it.
    I let my 14yo nephew borrow it and it came back with a sizable gash on the underside.
    He obviously dropped it on either a bolt or a rock point or something but he must have kept surfing it.
    Now the deck looks warped, when you eye it, it looks like a mogul run on a ski mountain.
    I have ding repair that cures in the sun (have used it in past years but not on a board this nice).
    Questions are, should I use the sun curing ding repair and is there anything that can be done for the deck?
    Is the board ruined?

Thanks
    Joe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

First important question, Is this a polyurethane board or an EPS board like a Surftech/Tufflite. Which foam it is will determine the course of action. Your Suncure resin will melt an EPS board if it make contact with the foam. Epoxy must be used on those. When you say the deck now has what looks like ripples it would lead me to believe it is one of these Surftech Yaters like the one in this link and that it sucked in a bunch of water: http://www.surfscience.com/surfboard...ater-fun-board Does the board feel heavier now?

If it is the Surftech version I would recommend you have a pro do the repair. These boards when deeply dinged will suck up water like a sponge. A pro will hook the board to a vacuum pump to get the water out. If the board were repaired with water remaining inside it could lead to delamination.

If it is a polyurethane board you would want to use a filler like cabosil or a carefully fitted piece of foam to fill the deep hole rather than just pouring resin in there. Also be sure to remove the fractured glass around the edges and feather the edges a little bit. Make sure the ding is completely dry before doing repair.
    Last edited by SurfDuffer; 05-18-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Do you have a picture. I think it a custom made polyester not a surftech because Ive never seen a surftech deck cave in ever and Ive sold hundreds. Even the polyester hand shapes are so strong it seems your 14 year old nephew realy abused it to do that kind of damage. 14 year olds should never be lent anything you want to keep.

I'm wondering if the deck issue is the result of water intrusion. Those ripples could be delam or expansion / contraction from water in the foam combined with temperature changes.
    Deck damage could also be completely unrelated to the hole in the bottom. Pictures would help a ton.
    Last edited by SurfDuffer; 05-18-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfDuffer View Post
    First important question, Is this a polyurethane board or an EPS board like a Surftech/Tufflite. Which foam it is will determine the course of action. Your Suncure resin will melt an EPS board if it make contact with the foam. Epoxy must be used on those. When you say the deck now has what looks like ripples it would lead me to believe it is one of these Surftech Yaters like the one in this link and that it sucked in a bunch of water: http://www.surfscience.com/surfboard...ater-fun-board Does the board feel heavier now?

If it is the Surftech version I would recommend you have a pro do the repair. These boards when deeply dinged will suck up water like a sponge. A pro will hook the board to a vacuum pump to get the water out. If the board were repaired with water remaining inside it could lead to delamination.

If it is a polyurethane board you would want to use a filler like cabosil or a carefully fitted piece of foam to fill the deep hole rather than just pouring resin in there. Also be sure to remove the fractured glass around the edges and feather the edges a little bit. Make sure the ding is completely dry before doing repair.
    I'm assuming that because he kept surfing it, the foam core got soaked causing the warped look.

Quote Originally Posted by barrell View Post
    Do you have a picture. I think it a custom made polyester not a surftech because Ive never seen a surftech deck cave in ever and Ive sold hundreds. Even the polyester hand shapes are so strong it seems your 14 year old nephew realy abused it to do that kind of damage. 14 year olds should never be lent anything you want to keep.
    I agree about the 14yo borrowing stuff.
    I'll get pics this weekend, the board is down the shore.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in