How to treat your catch as FOOD
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to treat your catch as FOOD

Default How to treat your catch as FOOD

Don't like Bluefish? Maybe it's because the meat wasn't treated like FOOD.
    Throw a Blue into a sack to bake in the sun or throw it into a cooler, it makes no difference. If you don't KILL the fish as soon as it comes off the hook, and allow it to suffocate in the air, and if you don't BLEED the fish it WILL taste terrible.

BUT if you follow these simple FOOD PREP steps, based on the traditional Japanese "Iki Jimi" procedure, it WILL make a huge difference.
    Iki Jimi has been practiced in Japan for over 400 years. Recent university studies support the effectiveness of those Iki Jimi traditional methods based on scientific fact.

Fascinating articles by a Japanese angler about these steps here:
    http://www.anglers-secrets.com/how-to-keep-fish-fresh/
    and
    http://www.anglers-secrets.com/what-...s-to-the-fish/

Basic steps:
    1) Need to kill the fish quickly, don't allow it to suffocate in the air or die slowly. When it dies a panicked, slow death enzymes and lactic acid are produced which enter and ruin the flesh.

2) Get the blood out. Blood harbors bacteria.

3) destroy the spinal column and nervous system. Rigor mortis will be delayed.

4) ice it down. Gut and/or fillet back at the dock. DO NOT let fresh water touch the flesh once the fish is cut open. Bring back a bucket of sea water to rinse off your fillets. DRY the fillets and wrap in clean paper towels before you store them in the fridge.

5) AGE the fish for a day or more so that it's flavors and texture develops.

BTW, Not just for Blues. I use these steps for all the fish I intend to bring home. If I am not going to release the fish and plan to eat it, then I'm going to make it the BEST quality FOOD I can!
    Last edited by FinestKind; 05-18-2015 at 02:43 PM.
    Len
    Finest Kind

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Great info there. Those fishermen respect their catch and I am sure they are rewarded at the table.

Banned

Exactly the procedure I followed Saturday. Kept a 10lb blue for the smoker. Reeled him in. Cut thru the neck and gills immediately. Held it in the water until it died. It pumped it's blood out in the water and rinsed it out at the same time. Into the cooler with ice and covered in bay water. Once it was cold, gutted it and washed it out with bay water.
    got home and wrapped it in plastic wrap and stuck it in the fridge overnight.

Sunday- scored one side on the bias. threw it on the smoker for 1.5 hrs. Flipped it over and scored the other side on the bias for another 1.5 hrs.

The dark meat came off easily using a pec fin bone. It's kind of mushy. The white meat was picked in chunks while deboning.

last night made some smoked buffalo bluefish dip.
    - bluefish or any other fish you have
    -equal amounts of chunky bleu cheese salad dressing and buffalo hot sauce
    - shredded cheese
    - mix it up and add more dressing and wing sauce if it's dry.
    - heat it up if you want but I ate it cold

Tonight- smoked bluefish cakes. Probably make some fresh garlic aioli

My son caught a big blue in the surf on Friday. I was reluctant to keep it, but he was not having me throw it back. I filleted the fish within an hour and trimmed all the dark meat - next time I'll bleed right away. I rinsed the meat and dried thoroughly before putting in the fridge. It was a little time consuming trimming the fish, but it was surprising good eats. Breaded and fried was how we prepared it. I rinse with both salt and fresh water. I know people say not to rinse the meat with fresh water, but I never noticed any difference in taste. I won't be throwing anymore back that for sure. I would recommend eating these fish fresh. Frozen blue fish does not hold up well in the freezer.

Bottom line is if people cared for bluefish the way they care for fluke, bass, and tuna it would be fine. I've fooled a couple people into eating bluefish and they loved it. Nick

never knew any of these tips for bleeding blue fish. going to give her another shot
    FDT

I vatched my beautiful black daughters play on the vhite house vawn
    -Melenie Trump

Don't forget bluefish cheeks

Quote Originally Posted by philnam View Post
    Don't forget bluefish cheeks
    I ate a big pile of them last week. That is the best part of a bluefish without any question and most people throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I ate a big pile of them last week. That is the best part of a bluefish without any question and most people throw it away.

Very True!

Last week I cooked up a couple fresh Bluefish cheeks along with some fresh Striper fillets.
    Simple recipe, just brushed them with a mix of 50/50 mayo and mustard, with a shot or two of hot sauce, and let them marinate for half hour. Then onto a hot BBQ grill for a few mins until the fish flaked....

Both fish were delicious, and believe it or not, the Bluefish cheeks were actually BETTER than the Striper fillet!
    Len
    Finest Kind

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in