Spanish Mackerel ... Good eats! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Spanish Mackerel ... Good eats!

Quote Originally Posted by joe2617 View Post
    Yum, no spanish mackeral here but plenty of sierra macks. One question, why the stab to the head then slit the gills? In my experience they bleed out better if you slit the gills when the heart is still pumping.
    I follow the Japanese Ike Jimi procedure as described here on this excellent Japanese fishing website:

http://www.anglers-secrets.com/how-to-keep-fish-fresh/
    Len
    Finest Kind

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Very good smoked too.
    FinestKind likes this.

Destroying the brain is better known as pithing. This ensures the fish is dead, but it leaves the heart pumping. Then you can bleed out the fish.

When fish die slowly they tend to develop enzymes that can hurt the taste of the fish.
    FinestKind likes this.

When I have gone down to my in-law's condo outside St. Pete Beach, the family and I would fish from the pier alongside the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. During certain times of year, we would catch a lot of Spanish Mackerel. We would barbecue them fresh that evening, as we had no facilities to smoke. They were great, but your window to cook is short.
    “The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.”
    ~ HL Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by FinestKind View Post
    I follow the Japanese Ike Jimi procedure as described here on this excellent Japanese fishing website:

http://www.anglers-secrets.com/how-to-keep-fish-fresh/
    I have seen this procedure described before. I have not the occasion to do it, as I have never fished for tuna on my boat. However, I have always tried to pursue careful handling of fish kept, with cutting the gills, letting it bleed out, and then immersing it in a substantial amount of ice and adding sea water to cover, and once cooled, drain.

I fished with a friend that had invited another fisherman aboard to fish for tuna. Although he did not follow the Ike Jimi procedure, he was instrumental in bleeding the fish, removing the heart, and told me how he is very careful in handling the loins and other parts, using latex or plastic gloves.

I do not recall, if he advocated leaving the skin on when quartering, but his concern for bacterial contamination caused me to advocate this on future trips. When I got home, I would skin the loins. Then he said to wrap the loins in wetted paper towels that you squeeze out, and store in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator, but remember to squeeze out the moisture in the paper towels every day, rinse and squeeze out again, and rewrap the loins. Using the procedures that he advocated and used, I brought home blue fin tuna loin, and followed his care instructions. I was eating sashimi for seven days after we caught the fish and it was great. It took a week, before it began to start having that irridescence that is a flag to me, to tell me it is time to cook it before eating, even if does not have a smell.

In summary, the biggest enemies of good fish is blood left in the system, not cooling quickly in salt water, and the introduction of bacteria.

Ike Jima addresses all of those concerns with tuna. With other fish, the procedures may vary, but the principles remain for the best product.
    FinestKind likes this.
    “The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.”
    ~ HL Mencken

I don't eat bait..............
    Spanish mackerel is not bait. I've never seen it used for bait, anywhere. You must be thinking of Boston mackerel that we have up here. Spanish are more like a pelagic, like wahoo and kingfish. Their meat is more the color of mahi and quite good on the grill.
    FinestKind likes this.

Spanish mack= marlin bait
    Life is like a fish on a line. When it is there you feel it. You fight it. You gain line. You lose line. But if that line snaps or that pole breaks, or a thousand other problems occur that fishermen use as excuses, when the tension is gone, you feel it even more. <br />Jimmy Buffet

I use Spanish macks for blacktip shark bait and strips for muttons

Looks good, I would eat it!!
    FinestKind likes this.
    I am deplorable

Nice video, good information, and she's alright herself. Wish she was cooking for me.
    FinestKind likes this.

Philadelphia, Huntingdon County PA,Sea Isle City, Forked River

groups of individuals eat them raw coming back from fishing on the brielle head boats

Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    Spanish mackerel is not bait. I've never seen it used for bait, anywhere. You must be thinking of Boston mackerel that we have up here. Spanish are more like a pelagic, like wahoo and kingfish. Their meat is more the color of mahi and quite good on the grill.
    Great Marlin bait. Good eats too.

I use macks for fish stock , Sushi , Korean dishes and its very good smoked . The only bait I eat
    is salmon eggs
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    Looks good, I would eat it!!

You would eat anything.........

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Esox1 View Post
    groups of individuals eat them raw coming back from fishing on the brielle head boats
    Those are Boston macs. There are no Spanish in NJ. In my opinion, FRESH Boston's are superior sashimi to FRESH Spanish. That fish disease seems to be more a Caribbean thing.

The fish used in the video did not look all that fresh ..... she took forever to fillet it. A fresh, firm mac of either species can be filleted in about 30 seconds at the most. The knife she used is not for filleting quantity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in