To Be Polish
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: To Be Polish

Default To Be Polish

A WIFE AND A STEADY JOB HAS RUINED MANY A GOOD FISHERMEN.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

7of 18 for me but I have relatives who would ace it!

14 out of 18, I remember singing Who stole the Kishca. My uncles nick name was vahodek (Don’t know the correct spelling) I’m sure I could think of plenty more but my grandparents, mom, and uncles have been gone for a long long time, I really miss them and all of the Polish food, card games (Pinochle) and the drinking my brother got my grandmother to smoke a joint one night be cause they did it on Mary Hartman.
    Better days are on the way.

And you knew the poles saved Europe

http://rodfleming.com/2018/05/01/jan...-saved-europe/

How Jan Sobieski saved Europe from Islam

The name of King Jan III Sobieski of Poland is one that every European should know and speak with pride.
    In September 1683, the city of Vienna was near to collapse. For months, it had been under siege by the Islamic hordes of the Islamic Ottoman army. Every day now, starvation and surrender grew closer. The city had long since run out of horses and pets to eat and even rats were few and far between now.
    Worse, the Viennese knew that other Europeans had been the instruments of their doom. Swiss Calvinists had begged the Turks to attack, so that they could sweep away Catholicism. It beggars belief that Christians could call down the hounds of Islamic hell on their fellow Europeans, but that they had, hoping, no doubt, to negotiate some deal, a reward for their treachery, that might spare them the scimitar or a lifetime of submission to the foul creed of Islam.
    The city’s defenders, listening in its basements, could hear the scrape-scrap of pick and shovel as the enemy’s sappers undermined them. Soon they would plant another huge mine and blow up a section of the city’s curtain wall, breaching it and allowing the enemy in. Nobody in Vienna was under any illusion as to what would happen then: the men would be tortured and killed or enslaved, the women would be raped and killed or enslaved and the children slaughtered. The behaviour of triumphant Islamic armies was well known.
    Today, the Twelfth of September, was the last. The government of the city knew it. The people knew it and worse, the enemy knew it. They were ready: their final attack was to come on the twelfth of the month. There was nothing left. Vienna would fall. Without a miracle, Vienna must fall, and with it, Europe.
    King Jan III Sobieski had other ideas.

Months before, the city had sent out a call for help but none had arrived. Yet, despite the religious and political divisions within Europe, Catholic Vienna was crucial to its survival. It commanded the only route the enemy could use to invade the rich plains of Germany then sweep down through France. If that happened, all of Europe would fall. Yet nobody came, leaving the lonely and desperate defenders to doubt they ever would; to contemplate the butchery that would inevitably turn the River Danube itself red with their blood, and that of their children.
    Vienna was the most heavily fortified city in Europe. It had two rings of curtain walls, with sharp-pointed salients that allowed defenders to rake their own walls with fire. To one side was the Danube itself, to the other a range of mountains. Its weakness was that it was not built on rock, but on the soft soil of the river’s alluvial plain. It was this very soil that the enemy was tunnelling through, this same earth that would betray the defenders to their doom.
    But not all was lost; on the day before, the unthinkable happened.
    Help arrived.

A force of allied European powers had finally arrived to relieve the city, including an army of 23.000 led by King Jan Sobieski III of Poland. In total the relieving force was some 80,000, against the Ottoman army of 140,000, led by the Grand Vizier Pasha Kara Mustafa.

Sealion, Hardtop and fish643 like this.

I'm only half Pollock, Dad was German and English.
    GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1974 Penn Yan Avenger 23'
    Mercruiser 350 tunnel drive - Sold

1980 Penn Yan 30' Sportfish
    Twin GM 350 tunnel drives

Half Polish here-proud of it. My mom moved away Richmond and the Polish relatives around 1935. Funny thing, Pollocks are really into DNA and ancestry as opposed to my other ethnic backgrounds.
    God Bless And Protect Those members Of Our Armed Forces And Our Law Enforcement Officers Who Serve And Protect Us.

cześć, jak się masz.

I belong too. LOL. My dad was Polish and Irish. My mom was lithuanian. Learned to eat well at an early age. Still make trips to Port Richmond. Fun loving culture and people, and hard working too. Taught my youngest daughter how to make pierogi. My mom would make 200 or more when she made them, several different kinds--the good old days!
    cześć, jak się masz
    Hardtop likes this.

we are ukrainien..............need not apply.
    FISH COME AND GO,BUT THE MEMORIES OF FISHING WITH FAMILY WILL LAST FOREVER.

still have a house in port Richmond
    Sealion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaff It View Post
    cześć, jak się masz.

I belong too. LOL. My dad was Polish and Irish. My mom was lithuanian. Learned to eat well at an early age. Still make trips to Port Richmond. Fun loving culture and people, and hard working too. Taught my youngest daughter how to make pierogi. My mom would make 200 or more when she made them, several different kinds--the good old days!
    cześć, jak się masz
    Like me, your dad was a PolMick
    Gaff It likes this.

6 of 18 for me. Dad was Polish, Mom Irish. Last name 13 letters
    OldTimingFisherMan likes this.
    2006 Seaswirl Striper 2101WA Cedar Creek Marina PHILLIES, EAGLES, FLYERS

My DNA test said I was 47% Polish.

I got about half. "Stash", lol, my godfathers name.
    Gaff It likes this.
    "Talent hits a target no one else can hit...Genius hits a target no one else can see"

Quote Originally Posted by phish4fun View Post
    we are ukrainien..............need not apply.
    Me too.........................................
    A WIFE AND A STEADY JOB HAS RUINED MANY A GOOD FISHERMEN.

whatever family I have left alive live in Port Richmond. I moved to delco in my early 30's.

Administrator

Don't know my percentage, guess about 1/4 but last name & actions/decision making would sometimes indicate >100%

Miss some of my Grandma's cooking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in