Gyotaku
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Gyotaku

Default Gyotaku

I make gyotaku prints. I just finished up one today. You can see more at my facebook page, gyotaku by george.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0226.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	442763

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Interesting never seen it before looks cool though.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

It's not a painting. Basically, you take the fish and cover it with paint or ink. Then you take rice paper and lay it on top and rub it. The image transfers to the rice paper. I then hand work in the details, like the eyes and other markings. It ends up being a mirror image. The left hand facing fluke, ends up facing to the right. Because of how it is done, every one I do is an original. There is no limit to the number of prints I can make from one fish. And after I am done I can still eat the fish since the paint is water soluble and non toxic.
    Gyotaku is an old Japanese style of art.
    Last edited by VooDoo Chile; 08-02-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    marco and Hardtop like this.

Administrator

Beautiful stuff George, thanks !
    VooDoo Chile likes this.

that's really cool.
    VooDoo Chile likes this.

I saw some prints like these at a craft show once. Really attractive and a unique way to preserve a trophy fish.
    VooDoo Chile likes this.
    Smith's Marina
    Somers Point, NJ

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns and fishing rods for what I told her they cost.

I got a great one in either Maui or on the North shore about 15 years years ago. They explained The process to me about 10 times before I paid enough attention to know what the hell they were talking about. They kept saying, “they’re all the real fish except for the turtles because we can’t harvest turtles or press one against paper. All of the fish were eaten and not wasted.”. When it finally dawned on me I was like whoa!! I think it would be a way better option than a fake mount of a trophy fish. Nice work man.
    VooDoo Chile likes this.

Nice work George
    VooDoo Chile likes this.

Very neat. Good job !
    VooDoo Chile likes this.

I have one of a trigger fish my wife gave me as a gift. Local guy here does them. They are very cool.
    " The longer they're on, the bigger that hole is getting." The Legend

Supporting Vendor

There was a great little shop up in Chatham we used to go in every year when we went up to flyfish the Monomoy Flats.... until the seals and sharks moved in... The owner did these prints and they were truly magnificent. He then had the images digitized and transferred to t-shirts and printed them in larger format for wall hangings...

Yours is as nice or better than this guys.... beautiful work...
    Hardtop and VooDoo Chile like this.

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

Your "friend in the business" at TackleDirect 1-888-354-7335

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist

Steelfin Die-Cut Decals & Apparel

2008 May-Craft 2300CCX
    Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI SOLD!

Marvelous Margate NJ

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo Chile View Post
    It's not a painting. Basically, you take the fish and cover it with paint or ink. Then you take rice paper and lay it on top and rub it. The image transfers to the rice paper. I then hand work in the details, like the eyes and other markings. It ends up being a mirror image. The left hand facing fluke, ends up facing to the right. Because of how it is done, every one I do is an original. There is no limit to the number of prints I can make from one fish. And after I am done I can still eat the fish since the paint is water soluble and non toxic.
    Gyotaku is an old Japanese style of art.
    That is really cool George. You made me look it up. Guess the hard part is catching the fish

Legal Reform
    Reduce the numbers of Lawyers in Public Office

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by Backbay Bobby View Post
    I got a great one in either Maui or on the North shore about 15 years years ago. They explained The process to me about 10 times before I paid enough attention to know what the hell they were talking about. They kept saying, “they’re all the real fish except for the turtles because we can’t harvest turtles or press one against paper. All of the fish were eaten and not wasted.”. When it finally dawned on me I was like whoa!! I think it would be a way better option than a fake mount of a trophy fish. Nice work man.
    I agree about the full size mounts. They are impressive, but harder to find a good place to mount them on your wall. Also, they are made from a mold with the dimensions of the fish you caught, and then painted to look close to your fish. The prints are easier to put on a wall, and the wife is less likely to object to a print. The prints also are taken directly off of your fish. I do paint in the details after though. I make multiple prints off of each fish, and each of those is an original because each one comes out slightly different. The other thing is that I can make a print of your trophy fish, or maybe your childs first fish. The size of the fish doesn't matter. And you still get to eat the fish after.

Quote Originally Posted by fmTuna View Post
    There was a great little shop up in Chatham we used to go in every year when we went up to flyfish the Monomoy Flats.... until the seals and sharks moved in... The owner did these prints and they were truly magnificent. He then had the images digitized and transferred to t-shirts and printed them in larger format for wall hangings...

Yours is as nice or better than this guys.... beautiful work...
    Thank You and every one else for the compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtop View Post
    That is really cool George. You made me look it up. Guess the hard part is catching the fish

Naoki is one of the best in the world. Some of his prints sell for thousands of dollars. He has great persona too. That is a good video to show gyotaku. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in