Deal Island
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Retainer
  • 1 Post By Fishin' Finn
  • 1 Post By aquasport190

Thread: Deal Island

Default Deal Island

Anybody been there? My wife and I took a ride into Deal from Princess Anne today. A friend of mine actually owns a condo on the end and the place in Islamorada when I went there a few years back. I think I like Islamorada a little better lol but really peaceful out there on the Chesapeake. Some classic boats and all Trump fans.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA6D80DE-439E-4DB7-A062-0FDD35FC66DE.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	442765
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97147ED7-F1E5-4291-87CB-50EF114E00F3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	442767
    Hardtop likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

It is certainly peaceful on the Chesapeake Bay.

I boat out of Occahannock Creek in VA. There are not many boats that I encounter in my trips. On a regular basis I see two or three commercial crabbing boats coming out on a regular basis. They seem to be setting their pots out beyond the mouth of the creek, all up and down in the 10-15 foot area in the bay.

When my son and his family came down to visit, we fished at the Rappahannock inner range marker for spadefish, and the mouth of the creek. Limited out on spadefish, although not really large. My son caught a weakfish just outside the mouth of the creek.

On the two trips, we saw the ships in the Baltimore Channel and commercial crabbers on a regular basis, but I will estimate that we saw less than twenty other vessels during the whole time.

There is a down side to this, as you get very little information from other fisherman. When I was at Leonardo State Marina, I could go up and down the docks and talk to other fishermen to find the spots, techniques, and perhaps a group fishing trip. There are not many marinas here, and most recreational fishermen trailer their boats, or keep them at their dock or mooring.

The other down side is that we do not have many Sea Tow or Boat US towing services. So I try to be on top of maintenance, as they may need to travel across the bay to give assistance and that is 25 miles one way.
    Retainer likes this.
    “The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.”
    ~ HL Mencken

Ray I bet most of the boaters rely on each other if there is a breakdown. You might want to make friends with those commercial crabbers!

On another note, I have 2 trips planned for Hatteras this fall. The second trip I drive down on Oct 11, a Sunday. Maybe I can stop by and say hello on the way down.

In-laws used to live there. Dames Quarter. Spent a lot of time there and did a lot of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    In-laws used to live there. Dames Quarter. Spent a lot of time there and did a lot of fishing.
    I remember seeing signs for Dames Quarters.
    What kind of fish would you catch? I saw a charter boat advertising flounder, spot, croaker, weakfish and striped bass. That about sum it up? And not sure about those spadefish Finn is talking about.....

Patrick, come and visit as I it would be great to meet you. Check your PM.
    “The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.”
    ~ HL Mencken

Got it Ray! I’ll let you know as we get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Retainer View Post
    I remember seeing signs for Dames Quarters.
    What kind of fish would you catch? I saw a charter boat advertising flounder, spot, croaker, weakfish and striped bass. That about sum it up? And not sure about those spadefish Finn is talking about.....
    March would start off with white perch, catfish and eels and then stripers would show up in late March. The stripers would get bigger and more numerous as April went on. Towards late April, the croaker would show up. In May, weakfish would join them. In the summer months, we would also catch speckled trout, spot, bluefish and cownose rays. If you went out to the grassy islands, you could pick up a red drum. Spanish mackerel and spade fish would show for a while when the water was its warmest and saltiest. We would catch the occasional flounder as a by-catch, but we didn't target them.
    Retainer likes this.

Oh yeah, out in the main bay, over structure, we would catch an occasional oyster toad or black sea bass. The sea bass were usually small. 8-10 inches.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in