Reports March 1 - March 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reports March 1 - March 31

Default Reports March 1 - March 31

March is coming in like a lion down here. We have had winds up to 35 mph, temp. down to 58, & water temp has dropped from high 70's to 68. There hasn't been many fishing days lately. However last week we had several calm days in a row. The kind where you can really go anywhere you please.

IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/sparse_grey/DSCI0312.jpg[/IMG]
    Neighbor across the street caught this nice grouper on the reef in about 85 ft of water.

I do hope that some of you are able to get out this month. There are always bass at the power plant & up some of the rivers. I also remember catching some early season white perch on small clousers.

IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/sparse_grey/DSCI0018small.jpg[/IMG]

I would like to say I was meeting Jose for a day of fishing, but not this time. I think he was busy.

I did have a great dark AM with tarpon last week-end. Had 3 bites & 2 on with the first 3 casts. Un-heard of for my abilities. They just decided it was time to eat.

Have a good month & start using all those new flies, freshly tied leaders, & new rods.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...I0018small.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...y/DSCI0312.jpg
    Man, I though I had this picture posting down. Sorry.
    I'll try again.
    Last edited by sparse grey; 02-29-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    Ron Conner

Nice grouper Ron! Have you ever seen Jose' down there? That's alot of ponies on the stern!!!
    The only thing worse than an illegal immigrant is the American that hires him....

If guns cause crime, all of mine must be defective. - Ted Nugent

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Yes I did meet Jose' last year. Actually saw & talked with him twice. Very nice fellow & he is really short!
    Ron Conner

Default Mosquito Lagoon Florida Report 3/3/08

The weather has been hit or miss the last couple weeks forcing me to cancel or reschedule several trips and more unfavorable weather is on the way here tomorrow. We have managed to get in a few trips, however, some more successful than others.

On the 21st, I fished with John and his daughter Kristin on a cloudy and windy day in Mosquito Lagoon. The pair managed to catch seven redfish and a black drum all while it was raining. Due to the rain, we did not break out the camera.

Sunday the 24th, Peter, from Michigan, came to Mosquito Lagoon to catch his first saltwater fish on the fly. Again, it was overcast and a bit windy but we did manage to spot quite a few fish. Peter used my TFO 7wt and a black crab pattern to land two black drum and had a redfish hooked up that did not make it to the boat.

The following day, the weather had improved significantly.  Brain and Jeremy from Orlando had shots at both redfish and big trout all day in both large schools, singles, and small groups. We used the new Morning Glory DOA CAL tail which the fish were eager to eat as long as it was in front of them. We did get a couple redfish and a nice trout to the boat and had a few LDR's (long distance releases). Almost all the fish we saw were extremely shallow with the big trout concentrated in the sand holes.

Tuesday, we arrived to find heavy fog and winds much higher than we had anticipated. When the fog finally cleared, the clouds moved in. Alex and Susan were on their first saltwater fly fishing trip in less than desirable conditions. When we did spot the fish, they were nearly under the boat and casting to them in the wind was difficult. We spent a good portion of the day practicing casting and did not catch a fish. Hopefully, we will get another chance on a nicer day.

Friday, Bob and Tony from Maryland joined me for their first sight fishing trip. This was a new style of fishing for them and they were not used to casting to fish they could see. Our first stop revealed a school of over 100 large redfish. Although it sounds like it would be simple to catch them, combine some adrenaline with some rusty casting and it can be a challenge. It only takes one errant cast to spook the entire school. If you spook them too many times, they may decide to stop feeding. After a couple hours of trying, Tony hooked into a nice redfish which measured 34 inches.Throughout the day, they had shots at other schools of redfish, black drum, and some single reds. Bob landed a trout but that was the only other fish caught.

We are now in to March which can be one of the windiest months of the year. The fish don't mind the wind but it certainly makes spotting the fish and casting to them more challenging. Take a few minutes out of a windy day you are not fishing to practice your casting accuracy and you will be rewarded with more fish when you are on the water.
    Capt. Chris Myers
    Central Florida Sight Fishing Charters
    http://www.floridafishinglessons.com

Capt Chris Again, thanks for the nice report & pics. Nice looking fly in the drum & also nice trout.
    Ron Conner

3 trips to the back in the last 4 days. water temp. back to mid & high 70's. Had a diver with me one day. Saw plenty of groupers, mostly Golieth(jew fish) & NO lobsters. Found an area close to the Gulf where the incoming really washes over a flat & creats a strong downtide rip where the bottom drops from 3 to 8 ft. Really fishy looking & loaded with smallish grouper & mutton snappers. All of them a blast on the fly. Very few spotted trout recently. ????
    Ron Conner

Capt. Chris and Sparse, good to hear there is action somewhere. You are making us northern guys that more anxious to get out and give it a try. Striper season has been open for a week. Water still cold. Have heard of a few stripers caught, but non on the fly and no keepers. If there have been any keepers they would of been weighed in for the first stripers of the season cash offered at some of the bait and tackle shops.

Just as things were starting to look a little brighter here we had a front with heavy rains and winds making the water cold and dirty.

keep the reports and pictures coming, we need some inspiration.

Threw flies on a light stick yesterday. Was in the back in a weird
    foggy calm between storms from 8 to 9am. Water seemed cold, cloudy, empty and very high following the new moon. Was nice
    to get out though. john

Glad you are getting out. I was 1 for 4 on tarpon this dark AM. nice on the t-3 10-wt. They all ate a toad fly. Bummed out missing the first 3, first 2 on first 2 casts. Fourth one jumped on the take & about 15 minutes later I touched the leader. Water temp went down to 67 this pm.
    Ron Conner

Quote Originally Posted by sparse grey
    Glad you are getting out. I was 1 for 4 on tarpon this dark AM. nice on the t-3 10-wt. They all ate a toad fly. Bummed out missing the first 3, first 2 on first 2 casts. Fourth one jumped on the take & about 15 minutes later I touched the leader. Water temp went down to 67 this pm.
    Nice job! How big?

45-55. Good catchable size.
    Ron Conner

I bet. Sounds fun

Boat not in the water, but it was too nice of a day yesterday. Late afternoon I hit an area off some sod banks near the bottom of the tide. A fair breeze was blowing but it was warm. Only fished for about an hour and half. Got to test some new experimental flies that I had tied during the winter and was pleased with their action.

Not a strike, but it sure felt good to just get out and cast. Water still pretty cold. Talked to a capt. at the marina close by and his water temp gauge was 45 degrees. Back where I was I would guess it to be a few degrees warmer.

Watched two ospreys for a while and they did as well as me. They were hovering and looking but never saw them pick a thing.

Things are starting to look up. Saw the first dolphins of the season running up the beach today. Seems early for them to be back, but it is a good sign. Means there has to be food around. Sea Herring etc.

Talked to a couple of guys that were surf fishing with clam. Not hits but they were trying.

Will try a re-con trip next week to see if I can find any warm water, bait or fish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in