FISHING REPORTS April 1 - April 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FISHING REPORTS April 1 - April 30

Default FISHING REPORTS April 1 - April 30

April is the month I hope you guys can really get going. Weather should be breaking soon & the bass will be around & feeding. Around here the wind is still blowing making fishing trips scarse. Water temps are in the mid 70's & in the last two weeks I've had 4 trips for dark AM tarpon. One take, one turn & look, & 2 days of refusals. Couple of back country trip where the sea trout have taken clousers & a simple shrimp pattern I tie along with a few mangrove snappers. All the rest on light spining gear. Again, I hope to read some good reports from y'all.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

hey, i live on robert best rd. in eht and i just recently got my cheap fly rod to see if i like it much, just wondering if your not to far we can meet up for a day and teach me the basics or even just go fishign for a day we also have a boat maybe i know you what is your name anyway???thanks

Kevin S.

Default Orlando Florida Saltwater Report

Last week brought some unseasonably cold weather to east central Florida. When I met California resident Jim at the ramp at 8 AM on Tuesday, the temperatures were still in the 40's. The wind was blowing around 20 and we knew we were in for a tough day. Jim had hoped to fly fish the Mosquito Lagoon but we opted to use spinning gear due to the weather. We found several schools of redfish and some black drum as well. Casting was tough and the fish were in a bit of shock from the sudden temperature drop. Jim managed to fool one redfish with a DOA CAL.

Wednesday, it was a bit warmer but the winds were still howling. It did not look like a good start for my two day charter with Dan, a fly angler from New Jersey. Dan is a certified casting instructor and elected to stick with the fly despite the challenging conditions. His excellent casting skills paid off and he landed his first two redfish on the fly. The first on a tan and gold bendback, the second on a black crab pattern. Dan also had shots at some big trout that did not eat and had a few more redfish bite.

The next day, Dan and I arrived to find slick calm water and mild temperatures. Our first stop was holding several schools of finning redfish. After casting several different flies to the schools with no bites, Dan finally hooked up on the first redfish of the day with an EP pinfish pattern.

Our second stop was holding numerous large seatrout along with some redfish. Dan cast the pinfish fly to a trout we spotted lying in a sandy hole. We were able to watch the fish inhale the fly. After a few quick photos, it was released to fight another day.

Throughout the day, Dan had consistent shots at redfish and large trout. He landed three more redfish and had a few more bites where the hook did not find its mark.

This Wednesday, I went fishing in the Mosquito Lagoon for the first time in over a month. The big trout were more cooperative than the redfish and I caught five of them over 24 inches on both fly and DOA CAL/Chughead combos. A redfish and black drum on fly completed the slam.

Thursday, I was joined by Doug and Jason for a fly fishing trip. The water had risen significantly overnight but the day started warm and calm. We came upon a nice school of upper slot redfish. Jason hooked up using the EP pinfish. The fish made a run towards the boat forcing Jason to reel as fast as he could to keep up. When the fish saw the boat, it made a quick turn. Before Jason could release the handle, the line came tight and broke the leader. We had more shots at redfish and big trout before coming upon a large school of black drum just as the wind started to blow. Jason hooked one on the first cast using a small brown and black crab.

Doug took over and made some great casts to the drum but we could not get another bite. The winds continued to increase and clouds rolled in putting an end to our sight fishing.

Friday, Michigan residents Ray and Gus made their first trip to Mosquito Lagoon. At our first stop, we were greeted with schools of both redfish and drum. Gus hooked up but the line broke when one of the many fish in the school ran into it. Before long, we had a double header of drum and redfish.

They continued casting to and catching both redfish and drum until the only other boat within a mile decided to move about 60 feet in front of us with his trolling motor while inquiring if we had seen any fish. We all shook our heads in disbelief and moved on to find another spot to ourselves. While they found the casting skills necessary for successful
    sight fishing a bit more challenging than they had expected, both guys fooled redfish using DOA CAL tails and had consistent shots at tailing reds throughout the day. The steady 15-20 mph winds made casting difficult but we ended the day having landed between 10 and 15 fish.

Water temperatures have risen into the 80's and more baitfish return with each day. The rising water levels has the fish searching areas they have not been able to access for months for new sources of food. The best bite as of late has been the large trout. While the redfish and drum can be picky on some days, the trout are eating well if you can get a lure or fly to them before they see you approaching.

Capt. Chris Myers
    Central Florida Sight Fishing Charters
    http://www.floridafishinglessons.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default sings of life

Got my first bass of the season yesterday. Not on the fly but on
    a yozuri (sp?). About 24 inches and lean, it did not make any
    runs but surged around a bit. Was quite cold when I lifted
    him for unhooking. I was on foot and
    pretty far back in the bay, the
    water was high and cloudy(& cold). I threw flies at some
    likely looking seams, edges, points etc. without result. Saw
    quite a bit small bait, silversides, before the wind really
    came up and sent me home. 630 am to 9 am. john

Atleast you are playing the game. Until the water warms a bit you have to take what you can get. Won't be long before things start popping.

Capt Chris, Again thanks for the nice report & pics. I was in your area the last few days & George & I fished Thur & Frid on the Indian River. Nothing but reds & all sight fishing with many tailing on Friday. When I get settled I'll try to put up a couple of pics.

Hey Johnny-- WTG. I just knew you'd be one of the first this season. Got to have the line in the water.(old Brazilian saying)
    Ron Conner

Default Not saltwater but...

Took my son to a local creek after dinner. Plenty of sunnies to be had! I tied a hare's ear under a bobber for him, and Ipitched a Teeny nymph on my 6wt. We had plenty between the two of us in an hour! Nothing big, but enough to put a smile on a 10 y.o face!

Good time....
    The only thing worse than an illegal immigrant is the American that hires him....

If guns cause crime, all of mine must be defective. - Ted Nugent

Dixie Hope it put a smile on your face also. WTG
    Ron Conner

I got out yesterday for the first trip in the boat. Water in the ocean was 46.6 No signs of fish, bait or sea herring.

Worked the back bay mouths of creeks and could only find 52 degree water and I worked as many creeks and drain offs as I could till around 5:30 Not a strike or sign of life anywhere.

Ospreys were not even active. They were all on their nests just building.

Even went to the dark side and fished with clams and clam bellies to see if their were even any fish around. Never even got a tap there.

I was really disappointed as it was such a beautiful day, which didn't make the skunking much better.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay
    I got out yesterday for the first trip in the boat. Water in the ocean was 46.6 No signs of fish, bait or sea herring.

Worked the back bay mouths of creeks and could only find 52 degree water and I worked as many creeks and drain offs as I could till around 5:30 Not a strike or sign of life anywhere.

Ospreys were not even active. They were all on their nests just building.

Even went to the dark side and fished with clams and clam bellies to see if their were even any fish around. Never even got a tap there.

I was really disappointed as it was such a beautiful day, which didn't make the skunking much better.
    Same here Ray,

Yeaterday I covered from Wildwood to Sea Ilse City.
    I was on one flat yesterday that averaged a foot deep and the water was 58. The deeper flats were 55. The intracoastal was as cold as 48.
    I'm poling, going relatively slow, in clear shallow water. I saw nothing. No shrimp , no spearing. Very quiet. Great weather though. I think the next week or so it will be like flicking a light switch on. It's funny about the bait. I see lots at night but that's it.
    Last edited by insomniac; 04-11-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    Insomniac Guide Service LLC
    Capt. Dan Schafer
    Year Round Striped Bass
    Shallow Water Back Bay
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
    in Stone Harbor NJ.
    (609)-780-5124
    [email protected]
    G.Loomis, Shimano, Yeti, Lowrance, Tackle Direct Pro Staff
    Join Us On Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334

Been out a few times in the last several days. All trips to the Gulf side, anchored & "grocery" fishing. Today had a young fellow with me with his father, both from Minn. The kid could really handle tackle & enjoyed fooling with the fly rod. He was adept with a spinner & ended with many nice snapper & a fairly large mutton that attracted his attention. Nice relaxing few hours. water temp 76.8, wind SSE around 12, depth 9ft, outgoing tide. Not too far from the Contents.
    Ron Conner

Imsomniac, you are right. It is about this time every year that it just happens. Suddenly some bait appears, the water warms a few degrees and the fish turn on. I was really fired up and ready to go the other day and couldn't believe got sunked on such a nice day.

Even the boats fishing bait in Delaware bay using clam are only getting mostly small fish. The fish are about a week behind normal even there according to last years records.

Any day Now!!!!!!!!!!!

Been hitting local ponds and lakes and yesterday was the first I saw numbers of fish way up along the bank in the shallows. So I"m sure the bay will turn on very soon. Had several fish follow the fly but no hits, new Colton outfit cast great.
    Captain John Ware
    20 ft. Grady White "Second Chance"
    Higbees Marina, Fortescue

16ft. Lowe Roughneck, prowling the darkness Absecon to Cape May.

Administrator

Fished a stand by bridge last night from the top of th tide until dawn. Once the tide started moving had fish the entire time until the sun started to show. I was using small deceivers and the fish were hanging at all levels of the water column, with them rolling on top at the peak period around 4:45-5 am. Fish ranged in sized from 16in up to 32in so I think its all uphill from here on out.

Hit some flats and shallow areas at daybreak for half an hour and didn't see a thing despite it being dead calm.

REN

REN, Year after year is seems to be the same you guys up near ocean city always get that bite and bait activity before us further south. Sounds like you had some decent action.

Tough start to the season. Still smelling skunk! My wife said the water on the beach was real nice and clean on Saturday. Left Sunday morning to fish the incoming tide in the ocean with the forecast calling for rain in the afternoon.

Left the dock with the water 50.5 in the slip. Cleared the inlet and found 48.5 and the water was ugly brown. Worked a lot of beach structure and the inlet rock piles with a fair amount of surf. Never got a strike or saw any bird play or bait. Best water I found was 48.9

Only other guy out fishing was Glenn, from the Fly club. He had just put his boat in for the season and was flinging a fly, having the same results as me. Did see a few dolphins swim by, but they were not feeding.

With the tide half in it was still brown and there was a good west wind blowing. Decided to make it a short trip with no place in the back on the incoming tide where there would be any clean warmer water.

Still trying and dying!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in