Reports Feb - Feb 28
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reports Feb - Feb 28

Default Reports Feb - Feb 28

Okay-Super Bowl is over, flies are being tied, equipment gone over (again) & we are settled in for another month of winter. Anyone fishing? Water down here is 63 & air temps have been mostly in the 60's & windy. Very tough to get out. Yesterday, Wed. we had a 2 hour window in the AM & away we went. Ended with some lanes, ladyfish, jacks grouper & a nice trout. Pretty decent for a couple of hours before the heavy winds came. Hope y'all can find a place to fish.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sparse grey View Post
    Okay-Super Bowl is over, flies are being tied, equipment gone over (again) & we are settled in for another month of winter. Anyone fishing? Water down here is 63 & air temps have been mostly in the 60's & windy. Very tough to get out. Yesterday, Wed. we had a 2 hour window in the AM & away we went. Ended with some lanes, ladyfish, jacks grouper & a nice trout. Pretty decent for a couple of hours before the heavy winds came. Hope y'all can find a place to fish.
    Thanks for rubbin' it in, Ron!!! Still iced in most places up here, although this weekend promises a balmy 50* on Sunday. WOOHOO!!!

Harry
    The only thing worse than an illegal immigrant is the American that hires him....

If guns cause crime, all of mine must be defective. - Ted Nugent

c'mon up another 400 miles Harry. Inland salt is frozen, foot of snow, and I think it rocketed to 17 degrees today
    Pete

1970 402c.i. 375hp, 4:11 rear end.

NOW THAT'S A RIDE!!

use UV Knotsense always

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

light on post in here so thought I would spice it up.

Returned from a few days fishing Pine Island Fl. with Capt. Matt Wirt

The back to back cold fronts made it tough but I bent my rod every day thanks to Matt and had a blast. Cruising in flats 6" deep in his Beavertail skiff was a blast too. Matt had me on schools of reds, snook and jacks and they had the worst case of lock jaw. Threw every flies I could at them. Only managed one small snook, one tiny jack, a very nice two pound Pompano, the only fish I had to use the reel (they taste great by the way) many small trout and some nice ladies. Matt manage a nice jack on conventional. No small tarpon to be found. Great fun trip all in all. Had to delay a day from stomach flew and squeezed in a trip to Mangrove Outfitters in Naples and a some light fishing this morning before I flew out.

John S.

Good way to rid yerself of the shack nasties, John! I like that pic of the cruising JC's, very cool.
    The only thing worse than an illegal immigrant is the American that hires him....

If guns cause crime, all of mine must be defective. - Ted Nugent

Looks, great John. Glad someone is having some fun. The pictures make us all wish we were there catching with you, plus a nice variety of fish. It has been too long since we have had some fish catching picture. Thanks for leading the charge!

Got my freshwater license with trout stamp today and took a ride up to Tackle Direct in Ocean City where I got a new 350 sinking line. My old one was pretty beat. They had a number of lines on sale for 20 percent off.
    Had an afternoon doctors appointment in Linwood so afterward I headed over to Bargin Town Lake, just to scout it out. It looked like it could be pretty good. There were two guys fishing bait and two with spin rods and they said there were some nice bass and pickerel in the lake.

I fished for about 1/2 and none of us had a strike. At least I gave it a shot. Looks like it would be a lot better with warmer water and being able to work some other areas of the lake that looked fishy.

High-light of the day was when two bald eagles flew over the lake and landed in a tree on the other side of the road. This was the best shot I could get from so far away. Male is on the left hand side and female on the upper right.

Nice pics Ray. Next time in Tackle Direct indroduce yourself to Doug Hamer.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Ron, Probably one of the two guys working there. Both the guys sort of knew me before I met them. I had met the one before from the times I have been up there and the other said he looks on the bass barn and enjoys my reports and pictures. I will check the next time.

By the way let's get some reports and pictures from down your way. What are you doing? Just sitting back and soaking up the sun. Get that fly rod out!

Default Orlando Florida Report 2/16/09

Fishing in Mosquito Lagoon has been very good for the first two weeks of this month. Despite having some record cold temperatures at the beginning of the month, there have been plenty of redfish, black drum and large trout on the flats. This past week, the weather was back to normal with warm temperatures and happy tailing redfish.

The first day of the month, I fished with Tim and his wife Noley. Very low water made it tough to get to the spot I had chosen but we arrived to find multiple schools of redfish and black drum. The fish were plentiful but, as is common with fish in very shallow water, they were spooky. As the day progressed, Tim started getting the hang of how to make a proper presentation and was able to hook up with a couple nice redfish with a 3" DOA CAL.

I had to cancel my trips for the next two days as a front pushed through with high winds followed by overnight temperatures in the 20's. By Friday, I had to get out on the water. It was still cold and when I arrived I found the water had dropped to 44 degrees. It was not a pleasant day with the wind whipping across the cold water. I saw plenty of very large redfish and black drum but most were not interested in eating. I managed to land two black drum around 15 pounds and one redfish.
    Sunday, it was still cool but much warmer. I fished Mosquito Lagoon with my wife. We saw plenty of redfish and caught both redfish and trout on holographic 3" CALs.

Thursday, UK angler Jerry made his second trip with me to Mosquito Lagoon. Heavy clouds most of the day made for poor visibility. Jerry landed a redfish on his second cast and things were looking positive. We encountered multiple tailing redfish throughout the morning and spooked many we did not see. As the day wore on, the sun began to break through and we fished a flat holding a good number of redfish and large trout basking in the sand holes. Unfortunately, Jerry never hooked another fish.

Friday, the weather was perfect. Not a cloud in the sky, light winds and near 80 degrees. Joe and Dustin took a break from the races and Daytona Beach to check out some Mosquito Lagoon fishing. Our first spot held about ten small schools of happily tailing redfish. Dustin was soon hooked up to his first redfish but the hook pulled before it got to the boat. Both walleye fishermen, Joe and Dustin were not used to being able to see their targets in the water and found the precision needed to properly present the baits fun but challenging. Despite missing lots of fish throughout the day, their persistence payed off. They ended the day landing redfish of 38 and 42 inches, both over 20 pounds.

Yesterday, I fished Tim and Mike. Despite a cold front bearing down on us, the fishing was surprisingly good. Tim hooked a very large fish that pulled the hook and Mike followed up landing redfish of 36 and 38 inches.

They each caught some nice trout and a couple smaller reds before we found a flat holding many tailing redfish. High winds made casting tough but each guy managed to fool one into biting.

The redfish and drum will continue to school during the next couple months. Now is one of the best times of the year to look for tailing redfish on the shallow flats.

Capt. Chris Myers
    Central Florida Sight Fishing Charters
    http://www.floridafishinglessons.com

Chris, nice Reds, I love Mosquito. Thanks for posting makes me anxious to get back there.
    JS, you da man. Nice pics John, glad you had a good time. Got plenty of species anyway. Forgot you were headed down, I was wondering why you hadn't been pipein in.
    John Yank

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in