Need Help...part 2
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help...part 2

Default Need Help...part 2

Ok, you guys sent me to Colton for my first saltwater outfit. I have been collecting flies per you recommendations. I have never had a fly reel with a drag. Now I need to know the when and how of it. DO you set the drag based on tippet size, like any other reel? Is the drag loose till after the hookup? Just what am I supposed to do??? Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

A straight 20# leader will work in most general situations. How I set my drag in this instance is I place teh fly line between my dry lips and pull. When I can just start to pull the line thru my lips, it is set. Make sure you back the drag off to zero when not in use.
    Using this method has worked fine for me with all inshore fish so far. Big game fishing might require a scale setting, but for GP, this will be fine...
    The only thing worse than an illegal immigrant is the American that hires him....

If guns cause crime, all of mine must be defective. - Ted Nugent

Ah, a discussion about drags and drag settings. Let me get back when I have a little time.
    John Yank

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy784 View Post
    Ah, a discussion about drags and drag settings. Let me get back when I have a little time.
    If you have something worthwhile to offer, we all want to listen, bu tnobody( I think) is interestes in the way you dress
    Pete

1970 402c.i. 375hp, 4:11 rear end.

NOW THAT'S A RIDE!!

use UV Knotsense always

First of all, you don't set your drag on a fly reel as you would say a Penn International 50, or a spinning outfit. As a percentage of line strength. On conventional equipment, the reels drag applies the stopping power.
    On a fly rod/reel set up there's really three drags. The mechanical drag on the reel, your palm pressed against the spinning spool and your rod hand pressing the line against the cork foregrip. It's one of the reasons fly fishing is so much more "intimate". You feel alot more, you control alot more. You play the fish. It's difficult to describe, so much of it is experiance.
    I like Harry's description of how to get your initial setting. For me, I'll soften up my drag a little when I'm stripping line onto the beach or deck to make my cast. Just enough to keep the spool from over running itself. When I have enough line stripped out, I'll tighten the drag a couple clicks. I have it memorized.
    When you get a fish on, you won't be just letting go of the line and cranking away. First of all, if your lucky and get a fish large enough to "get him on the spool" meaning you can't just play him with your stripping hand. You'll have to "clear the line". That means, in a very controlled manner, allow the fish to pull the line thru your stripping hand till the line comes tight on the spool. Now, all three methods of applying stopping power come into play. You have to get familar with how your rod feels when your tippet of choice is near its breaking point. Believe it or not, it's difficult to apply that much force with a mid range (8 - 11wts.) rod. If you have a digital scale. Have someone with you in the yard. Tie your tippet to the scale and feed line out as you move away 40 or so feet. Have your reel drag set just enough so the spool doesn't free spin. Take a couple turns on the reel to bring the line tight. Pull back on the rod and have them call out to you the amount of tension you're applying. Tighten back up and pull again, this time press your hand against the spool or pinch the fly line against the cork applying more tension. When you're pulling hard with a 9 wt. you'll hear numbers like 1 1/2 lbs, 2 lbs. You'll get to a point where you think you're going to blow that rod up and guess what, that number will be like 3 lbs. if that. Now you can learn to moderate your stopping power based on how your rod feels using your three drags. The tension part of the fight will come to you intuitevly. The more difficult part of this is the clearing the line part mentioned earlier.
    Picture this, you make a nice 80 ft cast, strip,strip,strip, BAM, hook up. You've just hooked an 11 pound bluefish. Now you have 65 ft of line on the deck or beach. That fish will take off like a bottle rocket. The line is still pinched in your stripping hand, in an instant, that line is pulled out so hard and fast it all dances up into the air, wraps around your foot, the reel handle, the fighting butt. This is where most guys screw up. Digest this info. let us know if you get it. I gotta run for now.
    John Yank

excellent point about clearing the line. also watch your knuckles on a direct drive reel when a fish takes line, it hurts when that teeny reel handle gives ya what fer!!!

Also a good point about birdnesting the reel when stripping line for a cast. It's always a good practice to stretch your line before each use also, to get the coil set from being on the reel out. will improve casting distance.
    The only thing worse than an illegal immigrant is the American that hires him....

If guns cause crime, all of mine must be defective. - Ted Nugent

It's actually easier and instinctual than it sounds. While it's second nature to many of us, it's difficult to describe in print form. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Spend a day with a competent fly rodder. All these things will be one of those, OHHH I get it moments. You'll still have to practice but at least you'll know what to practice.
    Don't be intimidated by all the information, suggestions etc. I remember when I picked up my first fly rod. Mind you, I was, how do I say this without Pete getting on my case? An excellent conventional tackle angler. My specialty was ultra lite Smallmouthing. I started to read a little and it sounded like a differant language. Tippets, butt section, roll cast, stripping. WTF, took about 2 days and bingo, I got it.
    That winter I caught my first Striper. In recent years it would not suprise me if I caught 400 stripers per. VF can attest to this. What I'm trying to tell you is, don't be overwhelmed. It will come to you with practice. Hell, if Pete can do it???
    Your reward will be more frustration than you care to imagine, and fun. When you hook, play and land a good fish on a fly rod, you will realize you've done something special. Aftyer you've done it for awhile you'll know why it is so special. It is the ultimate challenge in the angling world.
    John Yank

It's actually easier and instinctual than it sounds. While it's second nature to many of us, it's difficult to describe in print form. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Spend a day with a competent fly rodder. All these things will be one of those, OHHH I get it moments. You'll still have to practice but at least you'll know what to practice.
    Don't be intimidated by all the information, suggestions etc. I remember when I picked up my first fly rod. Mind you, I was, how do I say this without Pete getting on my case? An excellent conventional tackle angler. My specialty was ultra lite Smallmouthing. I started to read a little and it sounded like a differant language. Tippets, butt section, roll cast, stripping. WTF, took about 2 days and bingo, I got it.
    That winter I caught my first Striper. In recent years it would not suprise me if I caught 400 stripers per. VF can attest to this. What I'm trying to tell you is, don't be overwhelmed. It will come to you with practice. Hell, if Pete can do it???
    Your reward will be more frustration than you care to imagine, and fun. When you hook, play and land a good fish on a fly rod, you will realize you've done something special. Aftyer you've done it for awhile you'll know why it is so special. It is the ultimate challenge in the angling world.
    Because of the informational content of this post, I will not be party to reducing it to the level of some of the other recent postings. I will however make one restrained observation,and that would be that there seems to be a heightened level of enthusiasm and participation associated with the word " drag".
    Pete

1970 402c.i. 375hp, 4:11 rear end.

NOW THAT'S A RIDE!!

use UV Knotsense always

Don't be intimidated by all the information, suggestions etc. I remember when I picked up my first fly rod...... That winter I caught my first Striper. In recent years it would not suprise me if I caught 400 stripers per. VF can attest to this. ...... Your reward will be more frustration than you care to imagine, and fun. When you hook, play and land a good fish on a fly rod, you will realize you've done something special. ...... It is the ultimate challenge in the angling world.
    I think I sold him that first flyrod...there was a handful of us who got into saltwater flyroding about the same time, John being one of those guys. we fished our butts off, swapped information and techniques and made journey after journey before we finally got that first striper. Since that first striper many more have come and gone and it still feels like something special. And every once in awhile the flyrod is the most effective way to catch fish and it feels great to watch guys scratching their heads as we (flyguy) land double after double.
    Nullum gratuitum prandium

Thanks for the help guys. I have an idea of what you guys are doing now.
    I have had the good fortune to catch some stellhead on 6lb running line with 2lb leader, so I have a feel for the "edge". Looking forward to learning the ropes this season. Again thank you very much. Ken

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in