Reports june 1st - june 30 - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reports june 1st - june 30

Ray thanks again for a great night out. Had a great time and caught some fish as well.
    Will post some pics when I get my camera back got a few good ones of Ray up on the bow.
    Ray runs a first class trip on a great boat!

-------------------
    Catch and Release
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Zap

Sounds like a great trip with some nice fish. Too bad it was cut a little short by the weather.

Yea, it was a fun night for me and felt great to get out on a personal trip. We did well considering the wind. It felt like we were fishing in a wind tunnel with that cool damp wind coming off the ocean. That's why we were one of the only crazy people out there fishing. Pictures don't show just how hard that wind was blowing. Tonight I Hope I can start where we left off last night.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing your report Ray with you and Bob, great as always. I expect Bob was cutting that wind and catching those fish because of his awesome Colton Leviathan .
    John S.

We were lucky last night.

Tonight I was able to get out with fishing buddy from the fly club. We left the dock at 5:00 pm. The night started out with a light southeast ocean breeze. We had the last of the incoming tide so we worked a number of normally good rip lines and sod banks and never got a hit in the first hour and half and during that time the wind picked up a bit more.

We made a major move and tried two different areas with the same results there. Zero signs of bait or fish and we had a great close to full moon incoming tide. There should of been some activity somewhere.

Finally we found one little 50 yard area where there were some signs of bait. Here we picked up 4 stripers and 3 blues. We had this one little spot, until the tide moved the bait out. The bass were all small up to 21 inches and the blues where about the same size.

We tried one other spot were we picked up two more small stripers and then the Wind kicked up pretty good and moon was out bright so we quit. As hot as it was during the day the incoming water was 65 degrees and with a good wind it actually felt cool.

We got a few fish tonight, but we were lucky to find that one area that held some fish. It was a bit disappointing as all the spots we fished use to always hold some fish and you would see signs of life everywhere. We covered a lot of water, worked it hard and that with a great tide, clean water and working a lot of normally great locations, that they were all dead. We had to work so hard just to find some signs of life. It seem to be the norm anymore. Each year we keep seeing less and less bait and have to work so much harder to put a decent night together.

Weather was calling for a 30 percent chance of thunder storms. I left the dock at 5:00 pm with a one person fly charter. Since it has been very slow on the incoming tide in the back bay the last three days, I decided I would try the inlet.

We were the only ones out fishing and had it all to ourselves. Water looked great, nice tide movement, but it was dead. We worked it hard for a solid hour without so much as one strike and saw zero signs of bait, fish or bird activity.

While fishing we had 4 major wind direction shifts and it was looking like a nasty thunder storm was headed our way. After we saw the first blinks of lightning we raced back to the dock to wait it out. We both jumped in the car just as it got nasty. We had high winds, some hail and tons of rain.

After about an hour it was all blown out to sea so we headed back out. Tried a few spots in the back bay and found an area with some bait and fish and angler caught his first saltwater fish on the fly. His first small striper took a chart/white jiggie fished on 8 wt with intermediate line.

He did a great job at strip striking the fish and picked up 4 more with a couple of misses losing the fly to a snag on the sod bank.

I changed him over to a pink/white jiggie and he caught 2 more with the biggest of the night just over 24 inches.

He caught a total of 7 bass on his first saltwater fly fishing trip and was pretty excited.

A non fly charter tonight. We left the dock at 5:00 pm with the tide better than half way in. It was another slow start night but I gave them a little bit more time at the end of the trip and we were able to pull it out catching 9 stripers on the night.

Even after last nights dismal fishing at the inlet, I had to give it another try tonight. With a great tide, weather and clean water it should of been good, but it was the same as last night. We worked it for about a half hour with out a hit or seeing anything to make us stay.

Headed to the back bay flats and picked a 2 stripers and missed a blue in the next 2 1/2 hours with once hooking two stripers at once. One on a teaser and one on a popping plug, but during the fight the one on the plug broke off. We covered a lot of area and the only signs of life we saw were the fish we either hooked or loss.

Did find one shallow cove in the back where we picked up 2 more fish including the biggest of the night, which was caught by the lady angler.

Her husband not to out done caught two bass at one time at the last spot we worked. One on the teaser and one on the plug.

By then the moon was out bright and the bite shut down so we headed back to the dock.

Left the dock tonight at 5:30 with two fly anglers and one light tackle angler. With a pretty good wind out of the southeast we headed to the back bay to hide from the wind the best we could. I started out the two fly anglers with intermediate lines and jiggies and the spin angler with a popping plug. On my demonstration cast on how to work the popping plug I had a good strike and lost the fish.

The two fly anglers were having a hard time casting with the strong wind. They were not use to double hauling as they mainly fish for trout with 3 to 4 wt rods.

Plug angler lost his first fish, but landed a really skinny striper that had sores on both out side gill plates and sores on both sides of the body. It really looked ugly.

With the wind really creating problems for the fly anglers they wanted to switch over to using popping plugs. We worked some shallow areas with the incoming tide, catching some stripers and missing a good number of hits while fishing in 2 1/2 to 3 feet of water.

We kept working along and getting hits and a few fish until we hit one area where we saw some bait and a few fish tailing. It was difficult to fish with the wind and tide pushing us around but we caught the rest of our 10 stripers on the night there. including two that were caught on the fly by one angler who was able to get a few decent casts with the wind to his back.

Tried one other spot before we headed in but with the wind still blowing, no tide moving and a bright moon out we got no hits and called it a night.

Another very difficult night with perfect conditions. Left the dock at 5:30 pm with a spin angler down vacationing from Canada. We had absolutely perfect conditions for fishing. Great tide, clean water and no wind.

Tried the inlet area for the fourth time and it was the fourth time I found it dead. No signs of life of any kind and no hits so we shot to the back where I have been scrounging up a few bass. Conditions looked good there with still a nice tidal flow from the close to full moon tides, but we did not even see the small traces of bait that I had seen earlier this week and after 2 hours of fishing we had still not even gotten a strike or a fish to swirl at a popping plug and we had covered a lot of ground.

Kept on searching and plugging along trying area after area just looking for some signs of life. Finally after three hours with out a strike. (That is a ton of casting) angler caught a bluefish.

Then in the last half hour of the trip we went up a small creek and my angler went 3 for 4 on stripers. Two at 26 inches and one 24 1/2.

They were 3 nice fish and the angler was very pleased with the nights fishing, but it was like pulling teeth to find a spot that would produce. I worked every conceivable spot in the back that could possibly hold a fish. I have never seen the area that I fish so lifeless with such good tides and conditions. You have to find those one or two spots each night where there might be some bait just to have a shot at a few fish. So far I have have been able to pull trips out of the hat to make for a decent trip, but it can't last forever.

My good trips now, were considered slow trips just a few years back. I really don't like the downward slope I am observing. I am still finding fish but have to pull out all the stops everynight as there are no easy trips anymore.

Made wrong decision tonight. Radar showed some nasty thunder storms coming through right around the time we were to leave the dock for tonight's fly charter and the forceast was predicting a high chance of storms all night. I decided it wasn't worth waiting around so they made other plans for the evening.

We had the thunder and lighting, heavy rain and wind.
    An hour later the storm had past we had clear skies and no wind, a perfect night for fly fishing. On the good side it was the first night I was able to be home for a normal dinner in a while.

Another difficult night. Had a father, young son and a grandfather out tonight. Father was fly fishing and grand pop and son were spin fishing. With a hot west wind blow I decided to try the beach front structure, which I haven't tried in a couple of weeks as the water was pretty low in the back and it would be a little cooler out on the ocean.

In the first five minutes we lost two lures to the rocks and had a sinking fly line trashed in the bow motor and had to take the prop off to get it out. We gave the area a good working over and with no strikes we tried the inlet for awhile with the same no strikes. Water there was 59 degrees so we didn't work it too long.

By then there was a little more water in the back so we head to some flats in the back with the incoming tide. Bad luck continues they missed the first 3 fish pulling the popping plug away too soon and 2 on the fly using a trout hook set instead of strip set.

The night was as nice as it gets but the fishing was just plain tough. We had a beautiful sunset and it was like glass with no bugs.

Finally right as it was getting dark I found a area where there were some blues feeding on some small bait. Here they got some on the popping plugs and the fly angler got the strip stike down an got two on a black gurgler fly so we salvaged the night out at the last minute, with the young guy taking one bluefish home to eat.

It was another tough night at the salt mines! Left the dock at 6:00pm with a father and son fly charter. Father really wanted to see his son catch something on the fly rod and was not really interested in fishing himself.

With the son being a good fly fisherman I decided head to the ocean and try some good structure as it should hold some fish this time of the year. With just the start of the incoming tide the water outside the inlet was 61 degrees and along the beach it was 64 degrees, nice and clean and looked good but it was dead. We worked it hard and saw no signs of any life and had no strikes using jiggies and clousers. Even tried the inlet a bit, but with the cold water decided to hit the back and look for warmer water and bait.

In the back we found the warmer water. (69 to 72 degrees) but could not find any bait or fish. We worked all the areas with a popping fly as the water was 2 to 4 feet deep. Areas that I have seen bait or fish this week and they were all dead.

As the sun went down with the wind that was blowing it was really cold. We had to put on the sweat shirts and I was wishing I wore long pants. Crazy, when I got in the car to drive home I put on the heat to warm up.

After going 3 hours with the son flinging the fly non-stop with out a single hit, I move us to a very shallow creek mouth. The water was 1 to 2 feet deep and with no visible signs of bait fish we found 3 fish. One bluefish and 2 stripers with this one putting up a nice fight in the super shallow water.

It was a nice fat 25 1/2 incher which made the night. We fished till 10:00 pm and never got another hit or saw any signs of life.

Smile

Never had anything like that happen to me before in a small boat. I have sharks eat tuna, blues, and white marlin offshore but nothing this close to shore. It shook me up pretty good as it was so unexpected.
    Last edited by kalie123; 07-08-2010 at 07:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in