Reports july 1 - july 31 - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reports july 1 - july 31

BassonaFly Jigheads are a no brainer. All you have to do is get them down on the bottom. Sometimes it is nice not to have a fly charter. It is sort of like a day off when you take a father and young child out. Focus shifts from quality to getting more action. Chumming with bait or jighead with gulp fits the bill and fishing with the gulp baits is more fun as you are drifting instead of anchored up and you do not need prime early morining or evening tides. Bluefish use to provide lots of action but they seem few and far between anymore, but with all the small fluke around the rod bends a lot.

On days with tough tides, strong currents or a lot of wind it can be down right difficult get fish for fly anglers and I always give my clients what ever option that they want.

I do not worry about my customers fishing from shore. I tell them to use the same set up as we use in the boat and even where to go to fish off the beach.

Where I am using the gulp baits, Fly anglers could do equally as well, as the water is 5 to 15 feet deep, but most of my fly anglers are looking for the stripers and the bluefish.

Fly fishing is not a thing of the past. With the lack of fish and bait it is equally difficult to catch on artificials. It is not just a fly rod thing. For me personally there is still nothing better than catching on a fly rod.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Another Father and Son trip this morning. With the bad early morning tides there was no reason to leave the dock super early.

We left the dock at 8:30 am and with a very light wind we fished the beach front area with jig heads and gulp bait. It was a very pleasant morning as it was cloudy with a gentle breeze and we had a nice drift and the young angler got treated to seeing the dolphins swimming close by.

They caught 20 fluke including one keeper a little over 18 inches and a couple of skates and sea robbins. There must of been a ton of small fish there as they had lots of bites and misses.

Just as we finished up around 12:30 the wind picked up pretty good out of the southeast making our last drift a bit too fast. It was a fun morning and I got to take the fluke home for dinner as they did not want it. They were just fishing for the fun.

Just canceled to nights fly trip. Had a one person fly trip scheduled but with the tide being very low around 5:00pm, no water in the back bay and really strong southeast wind blowing, there is no place to hide and we can't get out and work the beach front. Nice weather but too much wind on a bad tide night.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default Enjoyable evening on the water

Thursday night, With a bad tide for striper fishing I decided we would leave the dock later than normal. It turned out to be a good move all the way around as we had heavy thunderstorms from 4:00pm to 5:30pm and wind died out to zero after they passed.

Left the dock at 6:00pm with a father and his 11 year old son as the last of the storms was blowing out to sea. Decided to work the ocean beach front for some flounder action until the tide came up high enough to work the inlet. Water outside the inlet was 66 degrees.

Father was using sinking line and chart jiggies or clousers, both produced throw back fluke as did the jig head and gulp baits for the sun.

They caught a good number of small fluke with no keepers but there was good action until we had good tide movement along the rocks.

As the sun was setting we moved inside the inlet where the father switched to a deceiver and I had the son using a swimming plug. The son missed a nice bass that some how broke off. It might of been a tip wrap on the rod.

The last hour I moved to a spot in the back bay were we found some signs of small bass feeding on glass minnows. Here the father got 3 small ones on the fly and the son had 4 on a swimming plug and small storm shad rubber baits.

It was one of the more enjoyable evenings. We had little to no wind, no bugs and good action. Main thing was to get the son his first saltwater fish. Water on the way back to the dock was 62 degrees coming in the inlet. Pretty cool for this time of the year.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 07-30-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Made the first fishing trip since before the accident middle of May. We are in Rockledge for a week or so & my friend here && I launched close in the Indian River about an hour before daylight. I did take it very easy but it felt REALLY good to get out. The breeze was very light, SW, & we fished the east side along some docks & small piles of rubble. Although all the sea trout were on the small side I had no complaints. It was close quarter fishing but they were kind of think. We caught 8 or 10 & had dealings with another 8 or so. Nothing on top, DOA shrimp & crab patterns & I was able to wrestle a few on my recently tied assasins. Thanks John, quess they passed the mustard. Dislike draging this on but this was the first fishing trip in 11 1/2 wks. Pics next time.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Glad to hear you finally got out Sparse! Very nice to be on some fish, it's been slow here, I haven't even been able to find sea robins. Just not fishing smart at the moment.

O

Ron, that is really good news. It is hard to keep a good man down. It sure must of felt good just to get out and wet a line. Hope you are going full blast soon.

rob

way to kick it off again, Ron !!

------------

Rob

Nice job Ron glad to hear you back on the water

-------------------
    Catch and Release
    Bob

With poor tides at prime times for striper fishing I did a light tackle trip for a Uncle and his nephew who was visiting from the Netherlands. We left the dock at 8:30am on a drop dead beautiful morning. Light breeze, sunny and not too hot.

Headed to the inlet as did probably everyone who owned a boat docked in Cape May. We head to the beach front and using jig heads with gulp baits started what was almost not stop fluke action.

I even got to fish along with them and we totaled over 92 fluke during hour 4 hour trip. Not one was a keeper but we had a good number in the 16 to 17 3/4 range. It didn't really matter as they were looking for action and did not want to keep any even if they were keepers.

The fish were so aggressive that when the tails of the gulps got chewed off I tried fishing with just the stub and it worked just as well. Even tried some with about 1/2 of inch of stub left and the still sucked it down.
    We also go some sand sharks, and sea robins and had one trigger fish follow a gulp to the surface.

Highlight of the morning came when the young angler set the hook and the fish took off like a bat out of hell, screaming drag as it raced off. Turned out to be a Bull Nosed Ray. On the real light gear it gave him a nice battle as we followed it around with the electric motor.

It was an easy fun trip for me and everyone had a good time.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 08-02-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Wow!! 92 flounder on Gulp!
    Now that's what I call fishing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in