Wheres the best place for Atlantic Salmon fishing?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wheres the best place for Atlantic Salmon fishing?

Default Wheres the best place for Atlantic Salmon fishing?

It's winter, and while we're thinking about fishing at far off places, how about summer and Atlantic Salmon fishing? Where's the best place? Maine?, the Margaree in Nova Scotia?, the Miramichi in New Brunswick?, Newfoundland? Anyone have any experience on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

it's definitely going to be canada.

I read a good article on Atlantic's not too long ago. Thought it was in flyfishingsaltwaters but don't see a reference on their site, so I'll have to see if I can find it again.

------------

Rob

rob

I've read there is no atlantic salmon fishery in Maine any longer, except for landlocks stocked and which breed in some of the rivers. Sea runs are no longer viable there, and there is a very very limited legal catch and release season, per my understanding.

So, that leaves Canada on this continent. The Mirimachi looks good from some online sources.

Hope you find what you're looking for and report back, as it's of some interest to me in a couple of years.

------------

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Check out speypages and ask your question there. Plenty of qualified Atlantic salmon fisherman.

Check out iceland.....sea run browns in argentina maybe?

I saw a show on fishing the lake Erie tributeries in PA and the fishing was pretty impressive. Contact the PA fish commision as Im not sure how much of the good water is in private hands.

Default Labrador.

My Dad and I went up there 6 or 7 times. Drove four of those. Big River, Flowers River, to name a few. Last trip we took, in early august, was a bust because the ice still blocked the run. Best to look around in the Newfoundland/Labrador area's. I also have a friend who goes to iceland. Heard it's good there, though I haven't been. We moved around some, because the runs were "thinning out" on some of our favorite spots, thanks to over fishing by the trawlers. Not much fun to fish for a week without a strike!

I would think Scotland would have lots of Atlantics, too. It's a bit more a drive than Canada, though...
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

My oldman fishes atlantic salmon and has been to the penoi river, kola peninsula, Russia this is supposedly the best atlantic salmon fishing in the world and he usually catches around 30 to 40 in a week

I consider myself very lucky, my father in law owns a fairly large section of the mirmachi and its associated fishing camp. Just upriver of the mill in doak town (actually abuts to the mill). The fishing there is spectacular. Went for the first time about 5 years ago and have been going back every year since usually for the spring run, but other times ill go down beggining of july so i can keep my fish. If your gonna fish that river stay at a camp that owns part of the water, otherwise your fighting with lots of other guys and their guides for small sections of "public" water.

a somewhat underdiscussed river is the Caines. Its about 10 miles outside doaktown, killer trout river but if you get down towards the mouth its a pretty darn good salmon river too. The good news is its all public water so no worry about trespassing...but you still need a guide (even for trout because its considered a "salmon" river)

I here that people are catchinf a lot of them in the Salmon river these days and a lot of people usually mistake them for brownies
    I'm the guy in the shorts.

Iceland and Scotland. Did you know that if you book a trip to England on Icelandic Air and spend at least one night in Iceland on the trip to England your can round trip Jolly Olde England for $150.00 bucks each way.

$300 R/T to London. Hmm - Newark to Rekivik spend three nights there while fishing for Atlantic Salmon and gigantic Brown Trout and hefty Greyling fly to London, take the train or fly to Scotland hire a Gillie and fish for two or three days. and than back to London and fly to Newark via Iceland.

A friend of mine's son and his fishing partner are in Iceland now doing a trip like that.

Cool huh? Oh to be young, once again! Sigh!

Lake Erie in PA has a world class Steelhead fishery. They are not Salmon but they are great fishing. I am from that area and know the fishing very well there. If you want any info let me know.

Jeff...

Miramichi, New Brunswick! I've been fishing and hunting up there for a few years now. The Moose, bear, and woodcock are fantastic and the salmon fishery is top notch. I have a place I stay at which is close to the town of miramichi itself, with a great guide, and great waters up and down the river. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call. I just came back from a salmon trip the other week and I'm heading up for a bear trip in a few days. All the best -Marc
    Marc
    Spinal Rods
    www.spinalrods.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spinal...10780612291382
    [email protected]
    (c) 484-686-3150

Spinal Rods Supports The Bass Barn

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in