Fishing reports feb 1 - feb 28
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing reports feb 1 - feb 28

Default Fishing reports feb 1 - feb 28

Feb is here. Hopefully you guys will be able to dig out & get to do the necessary needed stuff. I do hope that none have been affected too much by the lousy weather. Actually it has been pretty decent down here lately except the water temp has failed to rise. Flats are not showing much life yet & the only game in the back country seems to be the deeper channels & holes. Not much fun for the fly rod as I do not do the dredging with lead core. Plenty of ladyfish around to provide fun. Enclosed is a recent trip with a neighbors wife Karen who joined Ardis & I for a few hours. Grouper was released as we are in a four month closure.

Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

First cobia in our area this year. Chuck McCormick, neighbor.

Ron Conner

Feb 15th & I finally found some redfish. For years I have heard rumors of redfish in this area & only catching a few over the years did not think much of it. Found a small depression along a mongrove shore & yesterday had 12 on 12 casts. Unheard of at least for me. Today eased into the area again & took 8 - 10 in about an hour early evening, last of the incoming. Most on a "gummie" fly. Need some input on tying some please.

(kind of hope the bridge is un-recognizable)
    Ron Conner

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Very nice Ron! Sure looked like a nice day. I know all that stuff you are wearing is for the sun, but it makes you look like you are freezing. Thanks for keeping our winter spirits up.

WTG Ron. 2011 has started somewhere. I don't recognize the bridge but believe I saw it on a Versus show where they were chasing tarpon.

Wink

No tarpon by this bridge.
    Ron Conner

Quote Originally Posted by sparse grey View Post
    Feb 15th & I finally found some redfish. For years I have heard rumors of redfish in this area & only catching a few over the years did not think much of it. Found a small depression along a mongrove shore & yesterday had 12 on 12 casts. Unheard of at least for me. Today eased into the area again & took 8 - 10 in about an hour early evening, last of the incoming. Most on a "gummie" fly. Need some input on tying some please.

(kind of hope the bridge is un-recognizable)
    Is that reel a Billy Pate??
    That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Yes it is. First quality reel I've owned. Bonefish model on 8Wt. WF-F. My bonefish outfit down here.
    Ron Conner

Default Gummie flies

I was just in Bonita Springs Fl. last month and had a chance to fish the estero bay by kayak.

I caught a couple reds and several small snook all on a gummie fly. I buy mine locally and they seem to be a molded fly rather than truely tied. The ones I used were made on maybe a #2 hook and were a silvery irridescent and flexible. After catching several fish on it I lost it on an "extra-long" cast in the top of the mangroves. Nothin more after that!

rob

Ron, coming down to fish with you is on my bucket list.

Great reports!

------------

Rob

Rob let me know when you want to empty the bucket. Blackfin-that sounds like the one. Still looking for help with this "tie"
    Ron Conner

Ron, I'm looking to come down in April and need some info. Please email me at [email protected] Thanks very much.

Well I "broke" the ice by doing my first 2011 trip Sunday, it was only warmwater but still fun. We have gotten a big jolt of warm weather so crappie and bass bite is beginning. Hit my favorite local res. and found the crappie are not turned on in this water, still too big and cold, but did manage three descent LMB on clouser style patterns 5-8' water off structure. And I also managed to break a T3 5wt I just had repaired. I am brutal on flyrods..
    John S.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in