MV Slider
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MV Slider

Default MV Slider

This pattern was posted on another forum tied by a MV guide that lost his life several years back. It drew rave reviews form people who have used it so I decided to tie one up. I had never spun deer hair before this fly so I am pretty happy with the results. There's a few voids in my packing, but overall I think it came out well. I really enjoyed sculpting the head once I got the hang of the hair and its "grain". I look forward to fishing this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Fantastic tie Chris. I've seen guys that have been tying for years that can't spin-n-trim deer hair that well. Can't wait to see your next creation. Don't forget, you can add eyes, add weight etc. Very, very nice.
    John Yank

What John said X2. Good night time fly for bass. Moves a lot of water. Nice tying.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the kind words gents, much appreciated.

Didn't think about eyes because I was copying from a picture, but good idea John. I did get some comments about fishing this type on a sinker or intermediate with good success.

O

Ft. Wash., Pa. , West Cape May & Bree Zee Lee Ramp

Oakman,
    If I'm not mistaken , you are referring to Ken Schwamm, who was on this site as well ( I think he was 10x10) Ken grew up in Elkins Park, Pa. ( as did I) and operated a fly shop in Willow Grove, Pa.. He was also a regular at IBSP and I met up with him a few times on the rocks at Cold Spring. Sad ending to the life of a dedicated angler and a gifted tyer.
    Tom

She's a beauty! Should be very productive on those dark nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Never Better View Post
    Oakman,
    If I'm not mistaken , you are referring to Ken Schwamm, who was on this site as well ( I think he was 10x10) Ken grew up in Elkins Park, Pa. ( as did I) and operated a fly shop in Willow Grove, Pa.. He was also a regular at IBSP and I met up with him a few times on the rocks at Cold Spring. Sad ending to the life of a dedicated angler and a gifted tyer.
    Tom
    You are correct. I had no idea he used to post here. I have read much about him on SOL and searched out his posts, he was well respected by the community. Indeed a sad ending and much too early. From what I can tell, you are fortunate to have met him.

O

Spun deer hair, MV, I should have known your were speaking of Kenny. Ken was one of the best deer hair spinner/shaper I ever knew. He was part of our regular jetty crew for quite some time. I actually spent some time flyrodding big game with Ken. Kind of an odd fellow but fantastic tyer and angler.
    John Yank

Oh yea, fishing those breezy rocks as you do, consider making some in weedless.
    John Yank

Weedless! Hmmm, rockless too? That would help, great idea. Suggestions, single mono, crimped mono loop, wire? Tied in in front of hair, or further back in the body? Thanks John

O

I prefer a single flouro weedgaurd Chris. One, stiff "prong" if you will. Cut it just past the hook point. Here's a nice little trick I use. I take my flouro piece, cut about two inches long, for handling. Place the very tip of this piece in a small pair of duck bill pliers, no serations or knurling on these pliers jaws. Squeeze, while you are smashining the tip flat, take your thumb nail and bend the were it exits the jaw. When your done, you'll have a nice flat, thin, tip for tying. It'll keep your head nice and smooth. It won't roll around while you're tying it on. It will also have a nice bend or break to help position it properly.
    If need be, you can pack a wrap or two behind it to prop it up just right. I've even thrown a wrap or two around the flouro itself to keep it in position. Now simply cut to length. As I say, just past the hook point. Be sure to glue well. Head cement then epoxy. Remember, a weedgaurd has only to be stiff enough to push the fly away from the "offending" object. I generaly use 25 or 30 pound flouro. Very nice work Chris.
    John Yank

Thanks John.

O

Fine looking fly Chris!!! I have just the spot for you to try it out come spring.. Got your message, thank you, thank you. I'll call you.

Nice looking fly. I am sure it will work well for you. Here is another thought. I like putting silicone on the front (making it a silicone mullet) and cutting down some of the deer hair. Then it will sink down a bit and dart well through the water. One of my deadliest night time flies.

very, very nice tie! And if you havnt done deer much you have the knack, no doubt. Very nicely done.

Johns technique for the single mono guard is very good, flattening the end. I know I guide who does this as well and its a great technique.
    John S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in