FISHING REPORTS April 1 - April 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FISHING REPORTS April 1 - April 30

Default FISHING REPORTS April 1 - April 30

April is finally here. The month of transition. This schould be the month you guys start to find some bass. I do look forward to reading some great fishing moments this month. Down here the wind has allowed some fishing days. I did a unique flat trip with a friend who poles a canoe, yes POLES a canoe. I have to admit I was very cautious about trying this. However it was a blast. Gives a perspective that I was not aware of. We did not get any shots at permit or bonefish but I did have 2 decent shots at fairly large redfish. Found out they are way more skittish in very shallow (probably 8 - 10 inches of) water. Learned much about some mannerism of barracuda that I never thought about. Cobia have been the main fish we have had. Still haven't had another shot with the fly except for that one last month. We found these guys in a deep 30ft crevasse outside Ryder Key.

My neighbor & fishing partner Bert with the first one. Notice name of boat in background.

They were so think even I caught one. Released 2 others. Water temp 76, last of the incoming light SW wind. Okay guys lets see some stripers.
    Last edited by sparse grey; 04-01-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Nice report Ron, Also nice to see the masked man with out the sun mask!

Things here should start to pick up. My marina opens today and I still have a few days of waxing to do. With the weather raw, damp and windy, some of the fire of getting ready is gone. Never fails, it seem when I put the boat in we get hit with cold and high winds the week afer. It has been too cold to even think about freshwater this past week, but all we need is a couple of warm days and spring fever will be back full force. Untill then keep the fishing reports and pictures coming our way.

Default Bones

Sorry for nhe double post. Just got back from Los Roques. Plenty of bones on the usual flies. Gotta fight the winds. Now its back to the red's and trout.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Finally got the boat all ready for the water. Taking my time, I really have it looking like new. With the surf and back bay waters down here still pretty cold, I am taking my time putting in this year.

Everyday has been pretty windy and today with the wind coming off the ocean you could see vapor when breathing around 6:00 pm.

Looking forward first fishing trip of the year but think I will wait until next week, giving it time to warm up a little more. I always rush to get the boat in and have to wait for things to warm up. Usually the second week in April is when action starts, so I should be right on target.

Hope all goes well with prep & first trip. Made a quick trip to Sawyer key this AM, last of the out-going. Had about a 4 ft shark almost in when it got hit by a HUGE shark cut in half & the large shark came back & casually took the rest 2 ft from the boat. A little tense. Taking a quick trip off the rock tomorrow. Stops in Bonita Springs, Tampa & Rockledge. Back in the Keys, Tues or Wed.
    Ron Conner

Default Provo - Turks and Caicos

Got my first bonefish on the fly Monday. It was awesome. -- On my honeymoon in Turks and Caicos.

It was windy and the fishing was tough, we weren't spotting many - but I managed one bonefish about 5#. It was the worst weather day of the trip but just good enough to fish and not complain.

Guide spotted the school while I sent a clouser on a nice cast during a break in the wind/weather. Thanks to Darin Bain - great guide, made the half day trip awesome and put me on the fish. Missed another but mission accomplished.
    Rob

21 Sea Hunt Triton - Sea Bright, NJ
    Prestige Worldwide Fishing Team

Very nice Bonefish and while on your honeymoon. The picture tells it all and makes us wish we were there. Thanks for the great report.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicherman117 View Post
    Got my first bonefish on the fly Monday. It was awesome. -- On my honeymoon in Turks and Caicos.

It was windy and the fishing was tough, we weren't spotting many - but I managed one bonefish about 5#. It was the worst weather day of the trip but just good enough to fish and not complain.

Guide spotted the school while I sent a clouser on a nice cast during a break in the wind/weather. Thanks to Darin Bain - great guide, made the half day trip awesome and put me on the fish. Missed another but mission accomplished.
    Congrats! Sounds like you had a good time.
    Insomniac Guide Service LLC
    Capt. Dan Schafer
    Year Round Striped Bass
    Shallow Water Back Bay
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
    in Stone Harbor NJ.
    (609)-780-5124
    [email protected]
    G.Loomis, Shimano, Yeti, Lowrance, Tackle Direct Pro Staff
    Join Us On Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334

Sure did - still feeling good.
    Now its time for big stripers - and to launch the boat for the season.,

See you all on the water - tight lines.
    Rob

WTG Rob. Nice bone. Clouser?? Bead chain??
    Ron Conner

Pink Clouser
    Rob

Default Skunked on the first trip

It started out cloudy and foggy this morning in Cape May but by 11:30 am it was sunny and felt pretty warm. Around 1:30 pm I decided to go fishing. Left the dock around 2:00 pm just a good fog bank rolled in. Worked the inlet jetties and it was cold and raw and I had to bundle up. Seas were nice, water clarity not too bad and a last of the incoming tide with 48.6 water temps. Never got a strike after working it hard for a couple of hours.

Shot to the back bay area to scout around. Found some 53.4 water and was going to work the out going tide but a good wind kicked up and it started raining pretty hard so I called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    It started out cloudy and foggy this morning in Cape May but by 11:30 am it was sunny and felt pretty warm. Around 1:30 pm I decided to go fishing. Left the dock around 2:00 pm just a good fog bank rolled in. Worked the inlet jetties and it was cold and raw and I had to bundle up. Seas were nice, water clarity not too bad and a last of the incoming tide with 48.6 water temps. Never got a strike after working it hard for a couple of hours.

Shot to the back bay area to scout around. Found some 53.4 water and was going to work the out going tide but a good wind kicked up and it started raining pretty hard so I called it a day.
    Great to see your first salt report of the year, Ray! I hope you have a good spring.

P.S. Is the Neverending Dredging Project in Cape May Harbor still going on?

See no signs of any dredging. It seems like every year they bring in that movable dredge that sucks up the bottom and then they dump it off shore. They use it in the inlet to clean a path for the larger Coast Gaurd cutters.

Looking back on my records it looks like a typical spring. Water cold and mostly only guys using bait are catching a few fish. Next week is when I will see the first fish on a fly. Did see a few loons working around the rocks so there must be some bait around.

It looks like you're chompin Ray. I was hopeing to bring my boat down there before I went to FLA and get into some bass. Your reports are invaluable at this point. It would be nice to not see that dredge running. I think that thing screwed up the water down there more than we realize. Keep the reports comming, please. I'd love to get a run in down there before I go south. The Susky flats are just starting.....sloooow. The bait guys have been getting some nice big piggy's but not so much on the artificials yet. Your freashwater pics are fantastic by the way.
    John Yank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in