Kaufman Fly shop in banckruptcy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kaufman Fly shop in banckruptcy

Default Kaufman Fly shop in banckruptcy

and what they did to their cuswtomers was really dirty IMO:http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2011/...ncourages.html
    Tom

"When I'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AFISHN View Post
    and what they did to their cuswtomers was really dirty IMO:http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2011/...ncourages.html
    Personally, I did not know the company, but I looked up the articles. Comments were made about the big box stores and the internet killing fly shops, and are the small shops going away. I always think there will be small shops, but what is killing them is the price of rods, reels, line, etc. etc. I hear the rod makers are hurting. I think it is a function of the economy, and people are not running out, and buying an 800.00 rod, 800.00 reel, and 80.00 line like they were. I think it is that simple. You seen the simms 350.00 jackets, and everybody's 350.00+ waders. This is not so much a sport now as it is a fashion show.This is , or can be an expensive sport, and the economy is having trouble supporting it. The other thing, that shops should look at is being a full service fishing shop, not just flyfishing.
    Pete

1970 402c.i. 375hp, 4:11 rear end.

NOW THAT'S A RIDE!!

use UV Knotsense always

Narragansett makes some great points.
    for example: I was talking with an owner of a famous flyshop out West one night and he told me that if wasn't for his selling hats and clothing,his store would lose money!!
    Tom

"When I'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'..."

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

a local fly shop went the clothing route (as a supplement) for a while, and it worked for a while but they couldn't last either.

------------

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    a local fly shop went the clothing route (as a supplement) for a while, and it worked for a while but they couldn't last either.
    What kind of clothing, all Gucci top of the line, price guarded stuff, like Simms, Filson, Orvis, and so on? Personally, I love the big box stores like Cabelas and Bass pro. I go there, get to see everything, make my decision, and then cut a deal with my local guy. He has the common sense to know that he cannot sell everything at MSRP. A lot of these stores will not wiggle on the price. They say the price is set by the manufacturer. I consider that baloney. I would never let a manufacturer run my business. If i have 50.00 markup on a 100.00 item, I would much rather sell 5 of them at 80.00( 20% discount) than 1 at 100.00. If the truth of the matter be known, the manufacturer wants that too, regardless of whether or not he will admit to it. I shop for price and service, and always try to deal local.
    Pete

1970 402c.i. 375hp, 4:11 rear end.

NOW THAT'S A RIDE!!

use UV Knotsense always

rob

the shop was located in an upper middle class area so carried top of the line everything and when the economy went down, so did sales. it went under after the internet bubble and I think affected the base of those who shopped there.

they even started carrying spinning gear but all high end, and personally I think he needed to get more bodies through the store by advertizing and selling some mid to lower end gear as well, but he never did.

of course, I've never run a retail shop so don't really know all the challenges a shop faces, other than the obvious

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in