Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fishing reports may 1 - may 31

Smile

Nice fish CMR

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default Got Our Fly Club Fishing In

I didn't measure the tog cause the season is closed and it didn't matter.

As far as wire leaders go. I only use them for blues when they get up around 5 lbs and over. I don't mind losing a few flies here and there to the smaller ones. Only get bitten off when using smaller flies. If I use a larger fly they do not get bitten off as easily.

FLY CLUB FISHING TONIGHT

We were lucky. When we got to our fishing location a storm was passing to the west. We started fishing around 5:00 pm and had about 12 members that could make it. It was sunny and nice. The tide was just starting to come in and the water was very clear.

Bites were few, but we had fun. We sort of spread out to cover a bit of area. Small stripers, one fluke and a couple of missed blues was the bulk of the action.

My fishing buddy Paul and I decided to fish together. I got one very small striper and had a bluefish bite me off while trying to beach it. Both were caught on a yellow/orange clouser on sinking line.

Paul caught his striper on a red/yellow clouser on sinking line.

We fished till about 8:30 when it was getting threatening looking to the west and we saw a few flashes of lightning and heard some thunder.

A couple of the other guys also caught small striper in the areas that they fished.

With still close to the full moon tides the water got fairly murky when the tide really got rolling where I fished. I am sure on the top of the tide it cleared up but were couldn't wait that long.

I think everyone had a good time and the weather let us get it in.

Nice report & pics Nice looking water. :-)
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Hi Ray:

Good action!

What weight rod/line do you typically wave around? What test leader?

Thanks!

MG

I use 8, 9 and 10 wt rods. I generally have I have nine rods rigged and ready at all times. Usually a sinking, intermediate and floating in each weight. Mostly I fish with intermediate and sinking lines. Only take a floating line when want to fish top water.

I like a straight 12 to 20 lb mono or fluro leader. I do not use tapered leaders. I always fish with a clip on the end when fishing saltwater.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    I use 8, 9 and 10 wt rods. I generally have I have nine rods rigged and ready at all times. Usually a sinking, intermediate and floating in each weight. Mostly I fish with intermediate and sinking lines. Only take a floating line when want to fish top water.

I like a straight 12 to 20 lb mono or fluro leader. I do not use tapered leaders. I always fish with a clip on the end when fishing saltwater.
    OK. Makes sense.

How do you choose which weight to use? Fish size, fly size, wind "size"?
    (not asking you to divulge secrets).

I will admit I typically start with lures but switch to long rod when I find them in <20 feet of water...

If it is very windy a sinking line on a 9 or 10 wt. cuts through the wind best. When fishing around inlet rocks where there is current the heavier sinking lines get you down faster. You can cast and wait for it to drop if you want to fish deep or start your retrieve right as you fly hits the water if you want to work it higher in the water. When fishing in 8 feet of water or less or when I want to work a fly closer to the surface I tend to go with the lighter weight rods.

When fishing from a boat you can catch a large fish on what ever weight rod you are using cause you can follow a fish should it run. When fishing from shore with restrictions or rocks you have to control your fish a bit more so sometimes the heavier rod might be better.

There are many times where I am working a sinking line on a 10 wt using a clouser and then put it down and grab an 8 wt. and throw a deceiver for a bit and maybe switch back etc.

The key to catching fish on a fly is to learn how to think like a fish.
    You have to ask yourself, If I were a fish where would I want to be with the tide and conditions. After you catch enough fish, patterns will become more apparent. Once you learn how to use different wts and line types and get enough confidence, there is no need to even take a spin rod. Confidence is the name of the game.

"The key to catching fish on a fly is to learn how to think like a fish.
    You have to ask yourself, If I were a fish where would I want to be with the tide and conditions. After you catch enough fish, patterns will become more apparent. Once you learn how to use different wts and line types and get enough confidence, there is no need to even take a spin rod. Confidence is the name of the game." WELL stated

Had a great night of fishing Saturday night for my charter. We left the dock at 5:00 pm. a little before dead low. Headed to the ocean were we found a south breeze. Water in the inlet was very dirty so we moved into the beach front where we found it nice an clean and started fishing in 8 to 4 feet of water.

I had Dave and Mike out. Dave had some saltwater fly fishing experience but had never caught a striper on the fly before. Mike had only some freshwater trout fishing experience and no real saltwater casting experience.

With the decent breeze Dave started fly fishing and Mike elected to use the plug.

After about 10 casts Dave hooked his first striper of the night on a chartreuse/white clouser that he tied.

Shortly there after he started nailing sea herring and would catch or miss one on almost every cast. They were tight to the beach in about 5 to 3 1/2 feet of water.

The only downer on the night was Dave got his intermediate fly line caught in the electric motor prop and it trashed his line. It is tough when you are new to boat fishing, you are catching fish and the wind is blowing. I try to keep a look out but didn't see his line go over the side. He was going to put that reel on a brand new fly rod that he brought along to use for the first time. I had a extra reel ready with sinking line so he got to use his new rod and caught on it the rest of the night.

Finally Mike started getting bluefish on the plug and Dave was getting them on the fly. With the wind picking up a bit and blowing us into the surf I made a move to the Inlet where water was now cleaner and the wind would be more favorable to casting.

Mike after seeing all the fun Dave was having decided to try the fly rod. He did pretty good at casting for his first time and with the wind to his back he was able to get his clouser out far enough and he hooked his first saltwater fish on the fly.

It was a beautiful night to be out fishing. They continued to catch blues and couple more stripers until it got dark and was time to head in.

On the way in, I told the guys I wanted to try one last spot. I hadn't fished it this year and with the tide and wind direction we should give it a quick shot.

Turned out to be a good move Dave and Mike got 5 mores stripers before we headed in with Pete getting the largest of the night an nice chunky 26 incher.

They had a fun night 8 bass, kept 6 blues and released a mess along with a number of sea herring.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 05-23-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Nice going Ray. Got out a little today with my friend George from Rockledge (previously Leesburg, N.J.) who has been fishing with me the last week. Been doing pretty well on tarpon but today was some grocery fishing. Little windy, E 10-15, water temp 84.7, last of the outgoing, Johnston channel, Gulf side. We had sea trout, redfish,most on the 8 wt. bunches of mangrove snapper & this first decent mutton snapper of the year. DOA shrimp 1/4 oz jig.

Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Nice fish Ron. At 84 plus degree water do you just reel them in and eat them already cooked?

We had enough wind here today to blow the paint of the side of your house. Worked on the boat this afternoon and then tried the little creek on other side of the road. Had high water, it looked clean. I worked it for about an hour and a half. Had the wind to my side and back so casting was easy. Had just one fish hit. Felt a little wiggle and it was gone. No idea what it was. Had to give it a try as it was the only show in town.

Tough evening Tuesday night. I knew it was a bad tide as we would fishing at the bottom of the tide but decided to do a quick personal trip for a couple of hours with my fishing buddy Peter, since he just got back up from Florida. It was calm and sunny all day and they were calling for a chance of thunderstorms.

We left the dock at 7:00 pm just as the wind kicked up out of the southeast and it looked threatening to the south west and northwest. With low tide at 8:30 pm I wanted to work the ocean or beach front as the water should of been cleaner there.

It wasn't like I expected. The wind had blown a ton of the back bay straw all along the outside of the inlet rocks. It was so bad we could not fish it without fouling on it every cast. We moved to the beach front looking for better conditions, but the wind was pushing us in hard and the surf was pretty big, not allowing us to fish it properly, plus the water was super brown with less than a foot of visibility.

With it looking like rain and bad conditions, we were forced to head into the back bay. Unfortunately by the time we started fishing in the back it was slack water. I had one bluefish hit my clouser close to the boat but couldn't hook it and we realized we would be beating a dead horse until we got some tidal flow.

We didn't want to wait around for the tide to get rolling so we cut our losses and headed in and were back at the dock by 9:00pm.

Some days you have to know when to thrown in the towel.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 05-25-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Default What a difference a day makes!

What a difference a day and tide makes. Went out this afternoon with a father and son charter. They were not fly fishermen so the plan was to chum with clams in the back for stripers. We left the dock at 3:00 pm very close to dead high tide and I decided to check the ocean out before heading into the back bay.

Wind was out of the southeast, the water was nice and clean but we still had good swells coming into the beach. The first half hour we got zero hits and then I found a spot with some bass and they caught 8 small bass between them up to 22 inches and one nice bluefish, all on swimming plugs.

I think the stripers were being eaten by the dolphins as two of the bass had what looked like dolphin teeth marks and scrapes on them. While we fished we had dolphins working 30 to 40 feet around the boat the whole time. Even had one striper that was caught that lost an eye a long time ago as it was healed over.

When the action slowed we headed to the back to chum up some bass. It never happen. I put out two of the three rods we were going to use and we started getting sand sharks. They were hitting so hot and heavy, I never put any chum in the water and we could not keep all three lines in the water at one time. The bottom must of been covered with them, with some going to about 4 feet long. When we were unhooking them they were spewing out mantis shrimp and small crabs. After about an hour of this insanity we had to stop as it was more work than pleasure.
    Moved to one last spot and where I had them cast popping plugs on a small rip line. Here they missed 4 fish.

They had a good time and it was the first time they ever caught stripers on a lure.

Nice report! I was out last night too hunting for flounder. I think i may have seen you sneak into that last spot...wasn't many boats around. I brought the fly rod with me...made a few casts while the minnow trap was out but no luck. Nice catch!

Default New Plan D for real windy days.

Last night I forgot to bring my salted clams from home for my charter last night, so I had to buy fresh ones. Bought 1/2 bushel and we only used a few. I didn't feel like shucking them last night, so I tied the burlap bag off the dock and figured I would clean them this morning.

Got down to the dock at 10:00 am with about a half hour left before dead low water. Now that they dredged my marina I have 7 feet of water under my boat at low tide instead of the 6 inches we had last year.

Decided to throw a light spin rod out with some clam while I was shucking the others and creating a chum slick. There was very little flow so all my chum was going straight down but it attracted fish. I had two hits and caught two stripers. It was a little tricky using a real light spin rod with 10 lb test with all the pilings but landed both. A 21 and 19 1/2 inch.

Fun way to clean bait and might be the new fuel saving charter on days it is too windy to go out. We could just fish off the boat while tied up.

Lil-Chaz what type of boat are you fishing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in