Fishing reports may 1 - may 31 - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fishing reports may 1 - may 31

Never know what's around the docks! I have a older 20' Mako center console.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I will keep an eye out for you on the water. Always nice to put a face with a name. Bass will hang around under boats in marinas as there is a lot of shrimp and crabs under the floating docks.

Default Super Windy but great fishing Thursday Night

Super windy but great night fly fishing. A friend and member of SJCFA fly club wanted his son to catch his first saltwater fish on a fly rod. His son started fly fishing a couple of year ago but it was all freshwater. He had gone out in his dads boat a couple of times but just never was able to hook up.

We left the dock at 4:00 pm With the wind honking out of southeast with the flags straight out. The plan was to check out the inlet before looking for a sheltered area in the back to fish. It was so windy in the inlet that even thinking about going out in the ocean would have been pure stupidly. With high tide at 4:30 pm and strong wind the waves were splashing over the jetties it was going to be tough fishing.

We decided to take a controlled drift or two before heading to the back. Even with the electric motor it was difficult to keep the boat in a good position for casting and standing to cast you had to be on your toes. With the water clean I felt it was our best chance to get Kyle his first saltwater fish on a fly.

First drift we missed a fish and decided to try it again. I had them both using sinking lines and flies they tied. finally got kyle hooked up with his first salt water fish. It was only a small striper, but he was excited.

He was impressed with the strike and the fight of saltwater fish and ready to catch another and shortly thereafter hooked his second fish of the night. His dad who had a knee bothering him, with all the rocking, decided he would sit back and just enjoy his sons first successful saltwater fly trip.

It wasn't long before Klye was hooked up with a little nicer fish. This time it was on a different clouser.

WHO SAYS IT IT TOO WIND TO FISH WITH A FLY ROD?
    When you use a sinking line you can punch into the wind and still have a lot of fun fishing with a fly. As you can see in the picture it was a little windy.

We never left for the back and stuck it out, even when the tide started going out when with the wind against the tide made it a bit sporty with the wave action. We had to do a slightly shorter trip than normal as they had to get back in early for a family function, but in the 3 1/2 hours that we fished they had at total of 8 stripers with Kyle catching 7 or them including a couple of quality fish.

He was pretty excited and could hardly wait for me to get home and down load the pictures and send him copies so he could face book his fishing buddies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Had a charter out Saturday night. Two adults and an 11 year old. Plug fishing but father asked if I would bring a couple of fly rods along as he would like to catch one on the fly.

I bit windy when we left the dock at 4:30 pm but not as windy as my last trip. Water in the harbor was 72 degrees, but 68 out at the inlet with the incoming tide. With all the wind all day the water was fairly brown even at high tide. Started them out throwing swimming plugs and they all got their first stripers fairly fast. Again I had two fish that looked like they had dolphin bites on them. Don't know if they are trying to eat them or just having fun playing games with them.

They caught 7 bass with one that took a chartreuse deceiver and the young boy caught the only bluefish that was hooked and bleeding so bad, we kept it. When the water got really brown the bite stopped and we headed to the back bay where they caught 3 more stripers using popping plugs. The water was 72 to 78 degrees in the back.

No big stripers on the night, but all fun on 10lb test on light tackle or on the fly. Cleaned up the one blue as the boy wanted to eat his catch.

wtg Ray interesting water
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Hey ray it seems fishing has been better so far this year compared to last at the same time you agree or is it me

-------------------
    Catch and Release
    Bob

Yea fishing has been decent in the inlet and in the ocean but the back bay is much slower. There should be better action in the back by now. Still seeing little to no signs of bait everywhere and we are almost into June. Not a good sign.

Left the dock at 5:00 pm with a one person light tackle charter. It was another one of those southeast honking windy days. Much stronger than last night and pretty close to what I had on Thursday. Again no chance of working out side the inlet or along the beach.

We were forced to work inside the inlet. Again too close to the rocks and you would get spray from the wave and too far a way the wind would blow you away. Again it was full time job to try and keep the boat in position. The water was clean till the tide started out then it got dirty with a fair amount of weed. Did get 6 small stripers 16 to 21 inches. Fun but not what we were looking for. Thought for sure there would be some decent ones around.

Worked the back for the last 3/4 of an hour and picked up a nice bluefish around 20 inches which he kept for dinner and missed a couple of fish that looked like they might of been blues. All the hits in the back came on popping plugs. The wind never let up all night and was still honking when we came in.

Good sign was the bluefish was spitting up a mess of spearing when we boated him. That is the first decent sign of bait in a fish that I have seen.

Default Fun night for a couple of young anglers.

Another non flyfishing night but a fun one.

Memorial Day here in Cape May was a hot one. It felt like July or August when we left the dock at 5:00 pm. Had a father and his two young boys out of the night and we decided to try for stripers on plugs. I took bait just in case their casting skills were not up to Par. It was so hot we decided to go out in the ocean where it was a little cooler. Around 5:30 the wind shifted to the southeast and it felt great. Conditions couldn't of looked better. Clean water, light wind and calm seas and their casting skills turned out to be pretty good for their age.

Fishing in the ocean was not as good as the conditions. They missed two fish but caught one 29 1/2 incher striper that they kept for dinner.

With bite slow, at dead high tide we shot to the back bay where at our first stop the dad caught a small striper on a popping plug.

With no wind the gnats came out in full force and we had to bug spray up. Made two more moves, missed a couple of fish and then found a spot where there were some fish working some bait against the sod banks. Turned out to be stripers and small blues. Here they caught 5 mores stripers and one small blue, with one bass just being short of being a keeper.

They worked hard for all their fish but they all had a fun night a couple of fish to take home and eat and they will remember those first stripers caught on lures on light tackle. Both young boys listened and did a good job pumping the rod and reeling down and not reeling when the drag was spinning out.

I do think it would of been a banner night for using a fly rod as the fish were so tight against the sod banks, that using a fly you could of kept it in the feeding zone a lot longer.

Default May 29 and 30th

Had Alan from Missouri out Sunday and Monday morning. The first day we found the fish on the flats in about a foot of water just outside the grass line. All the bass were taken on chartreuse and white deceivers. The fish would track the fly for only a few feet before striking and putting on a nice show as they took line off the deck in the clear water.

The second day the fish were all the way back inside the creeks at first light, head waking all over the place. A well placed cast just ahead of the fish resulted in an instant charge on the fly followed by a hard strike.

With the water as temp as high as 78 on the flats there was lots of life making it's way through the shallows. In little more than a foot of water, schools of spearing, large southern rays cruising, many many blue claws and surprisingly enough, a small green turtle were among sights swimming past the flats skiff.
    Last edited by insomniac; 05-31-2011 at 08:56 AM.
    Insomniac Guide Service LLC
    Capt. Dan Schafer
    Year Round Striped Bass
    Shallow Water Back Bay
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
    in Stone Harbor NJ.
    (609)-780-5124
    [email protected]
    G.Loomis, Shimano, Yeti, Lowrance, Tackle Direct Pro Staff
    Join Us On Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334

Good fishing Dan. It sure was nice to have good weather for the whole holiday weekend it makes it so much more fun and there is nothing like putting your clients on fish. It is fun to seeing them catch, but sometimes you wish you could be out there fishing too, especially when you see fish pushing bait as it gets your heart pumping. There is nothing like early morning or evening fishing, just being out there for sunrises and sunsets is a bonus.

Nice going Dan & good looking water. Glad you are finding them.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    Good fishing Dan. It sure was nice to have good weather for the whole holiday weekend it makes it so much more fun and there is nothing like putting your clients on fish. It is fun to seeing them catch, but sometimes you wish you could be out there fishing too, especially when you see fish pushing bait as it gets your heart pumping. There is nothing like early morning or evening fishing, just being out there for sunrises and sunsets is a bonus.
    Thanks Ray!! Agreed!!! It's very rewarding putting people on fish and getting to see the sights and action back there. Looks like you've been doing really well down there too!

Quote Originally Posted by sparse grey View Post
    Nice going Dan & good looking water. Glad you are finding them.
    Thanks Sparse!
    Last edited by insomniac; 05-31-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Insomniac Guide Service LLC
    Capt. Dan Schafer
    Year Round Striped Bass
    Shallow Water Back Bay
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
    in Stone Harbor NJ.
    (609)-780-5124
    [email protected]
    G.Loomis, Shimano, Yeti, Lowrance, Tackle Direct Pro Staff
    Join Us On Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334

Default Captains night out to have some fun.

Yea, Dan let's hope the action continues all year. looks like you have the morning fishing keyed in. I like the evening end of the day. Think it is from all the early morning canyon trips I have done through the years. I have seen enough sunrises and don't like getting up before the sun anymore. Doesn't seem to matter as both ends of day are producing good action.

All work and no play makes the Captain feel the need to get out and catch a few fish.

Finally got a night where I didn't have a charter and could get out for some fun myself. After dinner I called friend of mine to go out. He just got a new camera and he wanted to see if he could get some good shots of fish hitting a top water fly.

He caught a few fish on top water plug and then worked with the camera trying to get a good top water action shot. Don't have his pictures but hope he got some good ones. It was tough to get a good setting on the camera as most of the action was in low light to almost dark. Will see what he got when he sends me the pictures.

First spot we tried was dead but the second spot was alive with busting fish and bait for at least an hour and a half. At times it was frustrating as I would cast my popping fly in the middle of all the action and would not get a hit. Had better luck casting it to where there was not any bait exploding. I think it easier for them to focus on.

I am really encouraged as I have not seen good bait like this in years. Left the dock at 7:00 pm and fished to 9:30 pm and caught 10 bass. Caught most on a chartreuse popping fly, but had a nice bass bite it off. Tonight was the first night I used floating line and I forgot I only had a 10 lb leader on it and I used too much pressure trying to turn it.

It was a super fun night for me. There was enough wind to hold off the gnats and the top water action was as good as it gets. Most of the fish were small with this one below being the best of the night.

nice to see you got some time out for yourself there ray, sounds like you had a nice time, thanks again for gettin me into some bass that got the ball rolling for me. I hit some rock groins and walls over last weekend in NW and had a couple hits, but only managed one small striper that went probobly about 12 inches.
    its a good day to fish

Dave, thanks for the charter. I am glad I could put you and Mike on bass the night you were out. You should try some of those sod bank areas that I told you about. There you can walk along and cover a good amount of ground. Should be able to find some bass or blues along the way. Also at high tide you can cast your fly close to points where there is a bit of a current line.

Have you replaced your line that got cut up in the electric motor? A clear intermediate line would be idea there and deceivers or clousers should catch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in