Fishing reports may 1 - may 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing reports may 1 - may 31

Default Fishing reports may 1 - may 31

May has finally arrived. I do hope your weather straightens out & I do look forward to reading some interesting reports. As in days of old, please give as much information as you can without exact locations. Tarpon season is going strong down here. The flats, bridges & passes are all producing. Friend of mine was 0 for 5 at Bahia Honda bridge. He had several hours of insane action. A larger boat had 3 on at one time. I can truthfully say that is not a good idea. Following was my start of 3 hours on a productive flat for permit. This is one difficult fish to hunt beginning with just being able to see them. I was able to see 2 singles from the platform & my friend up front missed the cast. I was able to cast to, hook & land the next one from the platform. Similar to a Merkin crab fly. Sorry no pics but a great morning.

Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Fought the wind all weekend with the 9wt and had one blue to show for it. Fished the outgoing behind SIC and OC. Kind of a slow weekend but good to get out fishing. Water temp in the mid 50's

Headed out this morning on the last of the incoming tide. Found the fish schooled in isolated packs of twos in different areas but all of the fish were using the current to their advantage. Fish were aggressive once they saw something they liked. Had a couple on the fly as well by mid morning on a flat about 2 feet deep. Lots more bait today then I've seen recently with pods of spearing spitting on the surface just along with tide.

Had some company again today...

Shallow Water Back Bay
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
    in Stone Harbor NJ.
    (609)-780-5124
    [email protected]
    G.Loomis, Shimano, Yeti, Lowrance, Tackle Direct Pro Staff
    Join Us On Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default Kicked some bass this afternoon

Look like we are all starting to see normal action. Nice report Dan. Ron, it is always good down where you are. Love the picture.

What a way to start the month and to get the ball rolling. I have never seen a year like this were the wind has not let up. By May I have normally fished about 12 times and caught a number of stripers on the fly by now.

With the wind and the water so brown on Saturday I didn't even try. This morning I checked out the water in the inter harbor and it still looked pretty bad at the top of the tide, but the water along the surf didn't look too bad.

Decided to get out this afternoon and work the incoming tide. Everything was perfect. Very light wind, heavy over cast skies, incoming tide and I found and area with very clean water. I could see my fly down about 5 feet. (what a treat) With tog season closed, no tog anglers on the inlet jetties or tied up all along. (only had to watch out for all the anchor lines they they cut off after fishing) Dam jetties look like Moby Dick. You really have to watch it when casting flies or plugs so you don't hang up as many lines float it the water with some out 10 to 12 feet.

Well, I finally got my first striper of the season on the fly along with 11 others. When it rains it pours! Fished for 4 hours using a chartreuse/white clouser on 400 grain sinking line.

Had 4 stripers 27 to 29 inches with two being keeper size. Both of which were released. Got the 4 bigger ones right together at one spot and had to search for the others.

Did find one spot very close to the beach right behind the surf 4 1/2 feet of water and found some bass 11 to 18 inches and missed a number of hits. I thought my little 11 incher was a weakfish the way it fought and was surprised it hit that large clouser. Also lost a fluke before I could net it.

Couldn't believe this little guy hit that big fly.

Was going to fish longer but the wind started filling in from the southeast and it was getting cooler and I was getting hungry. I checked out the inside of the inlet on the way back but water was not quite as clean.

I went home a happy camper. Getting my first personal striper on the fly for the season and 4 fish going on the reel after the strike. If every trip could be half this good.

Sounds like an great trip Ray! Good to hear things are shaping up for you.
    Insomniac Guide Service LLC
    Capt. Dan Schafer
    Year Round Striped Bass
    Shallow Water Back Bay
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
    in Stone Harbor NJ.
    (609)-780-5124
    [email protected]
    G.Loomis, Shimano, Yeti, Lowrance, Tackle Direct Pro Staff
    Join Us On Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334

Thanks Dan, See you on the water one of these days. Let's hope it is great year all the way around. I am looking forward to Fluke opening day. I may give up striper fishing for the day. You won't find me throwing back keeper fluke I think those stocks are plenty healthy.

Nice going Ray & Dan. Odd Ray that you caught the fish on such a rare fly. :-)
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

It is really that clip that attracts all the fish. They get hooked on the fly as it it attached to the clip. That clip is a little bigger than the size that I normally use, but it doesn't seem to bother the fish. One of these days I will have to just put a plan hook on the clip to prove my point.

Default Weather Messing up the Game Plan

After good fishing Sunday afternoon, I have been chomping at the bit to get out again, but Monday and Tuesday we had a southeast winds with today it was ripped most of the day. Just too difficult to fish the inlet and beachfront and have any fun. Tomorrow they are talking more wind plus rain. I feel a freshwater trip coming calling me.

Nice job Ray and Dan its nice to see some good striper pictures after a long winter.

-------------------
    Catch and Release
    Bob

Default Things heating up to the North

Got a report from a fly fishing friend in Ocean City who got his first few small throwback bass and a keeper size 20 inch fluke on a clouser. Broke his heart to throw it back. He just caught it a few days too soon. Still no signs of blues up there or down here in Cape May. Hit the beach tonight and didn't see any bird play anywhere, including the inlet. They should be here any day to at least perk up the action.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 05-05-2011 at 09:45 AM.

The blues showed up in my lagoon in OC. Caught a few last night. No size just fun.

Hi Ray:

Great reports guys!

Wasnt it this time of year you had the run in with the shark??

Talking

Nice pics CMR

Talking

Hi I'm new to this site I'm 11years old. just got in to SW fly fishing. I got a Sage 9wt 9footer VPS rod and a Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor V reel with fast sinking cold water line and I got a spare spool with fast sinking warm water line on it.also my dad is Don B he posted the pic of me on (golden rainbows on the fly) trying to get my first sriper on the fly this year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in