Fly Shop - South Jersey - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Shop - South Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    didn't realize that TD had moved !

I'll keep that in mind, have any crab flies?
    Yes we have crab flies...I believe more umqua and enrico?

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeIggs View Post
    And you guys have a solid bin of old discounted fly lines, of which I've bought 6 or 7 over the past 5 years. Great older Rio lines- great price
    Yep, still have some discontinued lines available at 50% off!

TackleDirect
    World's Premier Fishing Outfitter

Toll-Free: 888-354-7335
    Phone: 609-788-3819
    http://www.TackleDirect.com

TackleDirect
    6825 Tilton Rd, Bldg C
    Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234-4426 USA

Follow Us @ http://twitter.com/TackleDirect
    Like Us @ http://facebook.com/TackleDirect

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Outbound44 View Post
    So where is everyone shopping for fly tackle these days? online?
    Yeah! they sure are!! Online has the best quality and prices by far!
    It is so much better to just click your mouse and get the stuff you like sent to your house..... next day air if you need it fast.
    Gas is going up and almost every fly shop I went to didn't have exactly what I was looking for.

I think its a specialty item that will need 99% of your time and attention. This entire industry is not what it used to be. Is there a need for one????? I think absolutely YES!!! Will it take time to see any return or even break even??? YES!!!! You will need the internet to survive IMO, as we do aalot of business online. Many months, we triple our walk in business with our online sales. The only reason we do OK online is because of the specialty items not available in Walmart, Cabela's and such. ( still not a big mark up on the custom stuff, but it sells because you can't get it anywhere else).

If you targeted the rare, hard to find stuff, I think you have a good chance. I also know it will cost alot to get started up, and will take some time to see any positive growth. The one thing you will have going for you is the fact that half of your customers do not need a boat. I would send business your way, as I do with many other shops. I would rather keep a customer happy, than sell him something other than what he wanted to start.

Get online, get the items available to other areas and you will have a fighting chance. I do alot of business in LI, Maine, Conn, VA, CA, TX, MASS, because of the internet. I have many repeat customers for some of the custom jigs, lures, rods, etc... but I feel without the online biz, I would be dead regarding the custom tackle.

Good Luck if you decide to try it and I am offering any help I can be to you. I am being honest too. Its nice to have friends in the biz. If we all worked together to give the fisheman what he wants, it would not be the way it is today in this business.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

It seems that online is the way to go unfortunately. Most local stores have online stores too few fish and conditions that are tough to cast in. 70 dollar fly line, $400 dollar rod and $200-600 dollar reels put it past a lot of guys. I have 4 fly rods and reels went through various lines in the surf with rocks, barnacles, mussels wrecking the line. It is a blast but when guys were catching fish 30 yards further out on casting lures and you with fly rod your up against the masses it is hard. A small business is hard as is much less a strictly fly shop. The best shop combo I saw is a place in Seaside Park that has a restaurant and B&T store in one! You guys know the place.

Default South Jersey Fly Shop?

Check out whitewater flies in Sussex, New Jersey. I buy on line from them and also from their booth at Marlboro fly show. Since I am from MA, I don't know if Sussex is considered South Jersey, but it looks like it on the AAA map. Owner Greg Becker is a great guy to talk to and do business with in person or over the phone or internet. Decent inventory of tying materials etc. I am not sure about rods. But speaking of Rods, anyone familiar with Rise Fishing, an on line rod seller? Looks like a nice line up of rods and certainly fairly priced. Rods have spare tips, which you seldom see these days. Amanda Switzer, a notable guide and fly fisher and her husband are the owners.

Default Fly Shop SJ

Sussex way up Northern NJ, fly shops on line with or w /o brick mortar now a must to stay in business. Unless your out west in the heart of a destination ,the easrcoast does not have the anglers ot interest fro the investmant required.
    Capt Lou

Never heard of the fly shop in Sussex. As a side note I lived there 5th grade through High School. Very remote country living. Don't get back very often but will for sure be looking for this fly shop.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Default Fly Shop

Quote Originally Posted by sparse grey View Post
    Never heard of the fly shop in Sussex. As a side note I lived there 5th grade through High School. Very remote country living. Don't get back very often but will for sure be looking for this fly shop.
    If I recollect there was a fly shop in Sussex during the 50,60,70's. Flat brook fly shop I believe ,west of the Bleuwett track! I used to buy flies there when I woyuld fish the fly strecth especially the Bluewtt stretch. It was on the road going to Flatbroookville ,towards the LFB. Not sure if there is one today in that area ,not fished it in some years stick closer to home.
    Last edited by Capt. Lou; 08-05-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    Capt Lou

rob

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnnyv View Post
    Yes we have crab flies...I believe more umqua and enrico?

Yep, still have some discontinued lines available at 50% off!
    tnx johnny, have to stop over some time!

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in