Spruce Creek, Pennsylvainia
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spruce Creek, Pennsylvainia

Default Spruce Creek, Pennsylvainia

Hey guys, any info on Spruce Creek? Im taking a trip up there June 10th. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

perhaps posting over in the freshwater section will get more eyeballs
    Tom

"When I'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'..."

Supporting Vendor

Theres only a very small area of public access on Spruce Creek...all of the other water is club owned or private land. Some of the private landowners change a fee to access their property for the day, etc. Spruce dumps into the little Juaniata....plenty of great fishing there for wild browns and holdover rainbows (section below spruce creek to Barree). All public from Rt 305 up through Tyrone.

Phil L

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I thought about posting in the freshwater section but from what im told the Spruce Creek is all fly fishing only. I guess it wouldnt hurt to post there also though.

Supporting Vendor

Not sure what info your looking for but as far as flyfishing only that is not the case...the public section of spruce creek is an artificial only catch and release area. The public access is .5 miles long at the George Harvey area owned by PSU. The river is split throughout that section. Other than that unless you have an invite to club water, or a guide that has access to water, or pay a landowner fee to fish their property, that is the only access on Spruce Creek. Its worth an afternoon of fishing but unless you have other options available its not worth a dedicated trip.

Like I said before, you also have 10 miles of fishable water on the Little Juaniata river from Tyrone to RT 305 below barree, all artifical only, catch and release only.

Also close is Penn's Creek, Big Fishing Creek, Spring Creek and many smaller Class A tributaries.

Any other questions, ask.....I've spent alot of time up there over the better part of a decade.

Phil L

Thanks for the help Phil. My trip will be from a Friday to Sat in June. I was wondering things like are you allowed felt soles? what number fly rod should i be using? Also some got flies to try. I just happen to know somebody who belongs to the club up there and we are fishing the private sections and also well have a guide. So, basically what id like to know is what i mentioned earlier in this post and anything you think may be a necessecite. I reall appreciatte it man, Thank You.

Supporting Vendor

Felt soles are allowed in PA...unless the club has special rules. Cleats and a wading staff arent a bad idea. As far hatches....around June 10...there may still be Green Drakes spinners, Isochonydria (Slate Drakes) should be starting, sulfurs should still be going, there may be Light Cahill's, and yellow crane flies. Also teristrials work as do streamers in higher flows.

I fish a 4wt exclusively pretty much in the east...but thats really personal preference.

Phil L

Thanks for the much needed info Phil.

Have a friend who knows the area. Will forward this to him & see if I can get some more info.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Appreciate it

Spruce Creek used to be fun. It still can be. The aquifer was raped, and the continued development upstream in Stormstown ensures it's not going to get better. The cow dun is a problem (Harpster's moved their fences back 100 yards off the stream which couldn't be a bad thing), and Beaver's feeding doesn't help the cause. Spruce Creek's length has a long history of being private, stocked, and fish feeding; long before Beaver came to town.

Spruce Creek still can be fun, but the Harvey water will get very crowded on weekends. Most of the mayfly hatches are gone. They wont be coming back. You'll still see good numbers of baetis (which seem to hatch in just about any creek), but you'll see very few sulphurs, which used to be so heavy they sounded like rain on your windsheild as you drove along the creek. In late winter, a friend and I turned a few rocks to see what nymphs we could find. We saw NO cased caddis, only a few free living caddis, a couple baetis nymphs, and one sulphur nymph. This is sad considering spruce creek used to have a hatch chart a mile long.

Spruce has been private longer than I have been alive. 99% of our streams in PA are privately owned, but are open simply because of gracious land owners who allow us to fish there. I believe spruce was once private to both protect the wild fish and so the club members who lease the stream could fish without getting crowded. Now it remains posted only because the club members don't want to be crowded. There is not much left to protect other than a bunch of hatchery-tard rainbows that eat more pellets than bugs.

Right now, the nearby little Juniata is a much better fishery with great hatches, plenty of water, lots of access, plenty of wild fish, and very few hatchery tards from the SRC. Dont waste your time on Spruce.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm a little late coming in to this, but, echoing the others, best bet may well be the Little Juniata. Been a few years since I've been in there, but, the section back by the railroad tunnels has always been popular with fly-fishermen and doesn't get near as much pressure due to the fact that it does require some walking to access it. But from the results I've seen of other guys and gals with fly rods [never could get the hang of them myself so I've always stuck with spinning gear], the rewards can be well worth the walk.
    Given that the earth is covered two-thirds by water and one-third by land, it's clear as to how our time should be divided - one-third by work and two-thirds fishing!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in