Bait or lack thereof
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bait or lack thereof

Default Bait or lack thereof

I've been fishing in the back for the past few weeks and notice a complete lack of bait. I've been fishing behind Margate & Atlantic City. What are you guys seeing down south? I may poke over to OC area on the next outing.
    Capt. Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I have been complaining of a steady decline in the amount of bait since 2003. Each year we see less down here close to Cape May Harbor and the Inlet. It use to be alive everywhere by this time of the year. I would see bait fish every where I went and often see fish swirling while feeding on it. Even our inlet would be loaded with birds and fish feeding.

Last week was the first small sign that I saw any where. It was just one small spot. I think the fish that come in have to feed on shrimp, mantis shrimp or crabs and that's why we do not see the numbers of blues and stripers in the back bay areas like we use to.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    I have been complaining of a steady decline in the amount of bait since 2003. Each year we see less down here close to Cape May Harbor and the Inlet. It use to be alive everywhere by this time of the year. I would see bait fish every where I went and often see fish swirling while feeding on it. Even our inlet would be loaded with birds and fish feeding.

Last week was the first small sign that I saw any where. It was just one small spot. I think the fish that come in have to feed on shrimp, mantis shrimp or crabs and that's why we do not see the numbers of blues and stripers in the back bay areas like we use to.
    CMR.. Do you remember back in the 60's,70's + 80's seemed like there were FAR LESS Sand Sharks caught compared to the last 20 years? I distinctly remember growing up and going fishing between Wildwood and up to around Fortescue with my Uncle and later on with friends on Party Boats and Rental Boats. Catching a Sand Shark was an occassional "WOW Look at that thing" catch back then - especially the 60's+70's.
    Today - you just assume you are going to have to fight a few before you figure out how to avoid them. What I'm saying is that I think,with the proliferation of Sand Sharks in the last 20 years, that they are devouring a LOT of the bait in the area. Any similar memories? Couple that with Pesticide Spraying for mosquitos and increasing pollution Are the Lower Portions(Basins) of estuary systems doomed?
    Last edited by BILLO; 05-26-2011 at 07:39 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I believe the spraying has had the biggest effect. As the early 2000's there was so much bait everywhere I went. You had to try to find a spot that wasn's loaded with bait. There was plenty for all fish to feed on. Even in the middle of no structure you would see blues or stripers feeding on small schools of bait.

Those sand sharks really eat a lot. Last night we never chummed and we were un hooking, they were spitting up a pound or so of crabs, and shrimp.

Saw the first signs of a little bait last night. Bluefish that was caught had about 20 spearing in its belly. If it didn't try to eat one more time it would not of ended up being eaten. Still should be a lot more bait around than just a small patch here and there.

Saw this post earlier and decided to check on some spots behind WWC and 2 mile area.Nothing at all was visible.The only bait i have seen all spring was a small amount of silversides over at CMP.I have not seen anything around the ocean jetties that i fish either.

Tonight I saw more bait and fish busting on it than I did all of last year. It was only in one little area but a lot better than I have seen in a long time. Reminded me of the early 2000's when it was common place every where. As far as around the inlet and beach front and other areas in the back, they are very void of bait. I will take what I can get as some is better than none. Hope this is a start of an up trend.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in