Fishing reports oct. 1 - oct.31 - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fishing reports oct. 1 - oct.31

Fished yesterday caught 4 in low twentys with a allot of hickory shad mixed in birds were busting on bay anchovies for a while only seen one other bass caught and it was on clams .

I'm the guy in the shorts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Nice going!

Good to see a striper from the sand

O

Nice. One on clams doesn't count.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

got a double skunk on Friday afternoon into evening. Tried the Toms River sweetwater for trout and didn't get a nibble, then went over to the surf for a few and saw no bait, only a few anglers (bait and lure) and nothing brought in... not a tap for me.

------------

Rob

Nice going, Just got to keep grinding away at them as there doesn't seem to be any real hot action any where right now. Looks like you had a cool morning, but it only takes a fish on the line to warm you up.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 10-31-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Went out for the night bite tonight and left with a skunk but everyone that I talked to left with one also so I don't feel as bad .

Fredrick,
    Where did you catch the fish? No spot burn, just a general location.
    Are you the same guy that posts on PA Fly Fishing?

Yes that is me I caught all of my fish that day on clousers I guess because of the anchovys

Went out today very little activity no bait to be seen day was saved by these two guys .

Default Two Days In One Kicking Some Major Bass!

I found some of those little rats today down here.

Feel like I fished two trips today. Here is part I

After the northeaster this weekend and with the weather nice this Monday I was hot to get out and fish the out going flows of the back bay creeks were I found fish last Friday before the blow.

When I got to the boat a Noon I found the water had dropped from the 60's to 55 degrees. Decided I better check out the inlet with the tide at full high, didn't want to miss anything.

Got to the inlet near dead high and the water was super brown and 55 degrees. Went with the chartreuse buck tail deceiver on 350 grain line and lost sight of fly down about one foot.

First cast I got a hit and in the first 15 minutes of fishing caught 3 small stripers to 20 inches.

Then the tide started and the water got even dirtier and after 3/4 of an hour with out a hit it was time to go to my original plan as I would have perfect tides and weather to work the creeks in the back.

Got in the back and got excited as the water back there was nice compared to the inlet. I switched over to clear intermediate and the same chartreuse buck tail deceiver and I could see it down 1 1/2 to 2 feet.

In the next two hours I worked 7 creek mouths and outflow and even back tracked and worked two of my favorites a second time and had one hit, landing a 12 striper. I was really bummed out as I had great expectations.

After 3 hours of slow fishing I was going to head in but tried one more spot. It too was dead but I found some fish in shallow water where two pieces of sod bank had fallen into the water and there was a little bit of flow.

Did I ever find fish. the water was 4 feet deep and there were no sign that there were any fish or bait but it was a fish on almost every cast.
    I found a real rats nest. They ranged from 13 1/2 inches to 20 inches and I would get a hit on just about every cast. With my large 4 1/2 to 5 inch fly I could watch the small ones try and woof it down.

They all looked like fresh clean ocean fish as many had sea lice on them.

My wife called me at 4:30 as I said I would be home by then. When she called at that time I had landed 28 fish on the day and hooked up 29th on my drifting fly while talking to her on the phone. Told her I wasn't coming home till the bite stopped as the fishing was too hot to quit.
    Then it got even better See Part II

Default Part II of a Super Day On The Water

The water was going out fast. When I started it was 4 feet deep and now it was down to about 2 1/2 feet. I tilted up my main engine and just used the electric and neither the boat or the electric motor seemed to bother the fish as many would hook up a few feet from the boat.

Shortly after talking to my wife I started seeing better size fish mixed in. I was now getting 24 to 27 1/2 fish instead of the small guys. No keeper size but the 4 biggest were over 27 inches.

Using my 8 wt in the shallow water I was having the best time I had in years as the fish were running all over the place.

I caught the last fish when the water was 1.8 feet of water under the boat. Even that shallow I still could not see bottom with the muddy water but the fish could find the fly. I quit at 6:00 pm after not getting a hit in the last 10 minutes.

I normally fish 4 hours or less but the action was so good I fished for 6 hours and caught 39 stripers on same fly. It sure felt good to be in the right place at the right time, turning a so so trip into a super one.

Have not had that kind of action since 2003 when I had 59 in 6 hours, but back then there was bait fish and the fish bit the whole 6 hours I was fishing
    Here is a couple of shots of the area where fish were hanging out. I would cast out like you would across a stream as the current would go by broken pieces.

Hoping the weather is nice for tomorrow.

Great report CMR.Glad to see your efforts were rewarded.Nothing like constant action.

rob

awesome Ray, you've been putting in time!

------------

Rob

Default Wind And More Wind, Dying To Get Out Again

I really think I was right at the spot where fish were coming into the back as it was like shooting them in a barrel. Not like blitz, could couldn't tell there was a fish there till you got a hit. I just hope they hang around as the only thing they could be feeding on is shrimp and crabs as there is little to no baitfish around.

I am sitting here dying to get out today, but took a look at the bay and it is 2 foot white caps with 25 mph winds with gust to 30mph. Will take another look in the next few minutes but it looks like tomorrow when I get out and see if it was a one trip wonder. Odds of another trip like that are slim and none.

Nice job Ray really enjoyed the pictures and the story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in