learning fly fishing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: learning fly fishing

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cape May County, NJ
    Posts
    92

    Default learning fly fishing

    If you dont know anyone personally that fly fishes, how would you suggest an interested person learns? I am very curious about learning how to fly fish...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    I plan on beginning to learn myself this spring and especially this summer. I've been reading a little and watching instructional videos on youtube. I don't know any fly fisherman so I am just going to practice and practice until I get the hang of it. I still learn new things about spinning/conventional fishing all the time...its almost like continuing education and I imagine learning flyfishing will be the same. Good luck. PS- Winter seems like a good time to practice at the local lake or even on a grass field, less people to deal with casting.




    Sous les lois de Minerve nous devenons tous frères

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Llbean in marlton nj does some pretty good fly fishing lessons. Otherwise maybe a member near you can step up and teach. I would be happy to teach you but it's a bit of a hike for us to get together...
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

  5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cape May N.J.
    Posts
    7,669

    Default

    Joining a fly club is an easy and inexpensive way. Both South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers and Atlantic Saltwater Fly Rodders would be good ones. SJCFA meet third Thursday of the month at the Bay Center in Ocean City and ASF meets in Seaside. Not sure of their dates.

    Both clubs work with those wanting to learn. Our club SJCFA has casting before meetings once it gets light enough to do it. (probably March Meeting) Our regular meetings start at 7:00 pm and casting starts at around 6:00 pm. We have rods and reels for you to try or you can bring your own.

    It isn't all that hard. As I have said before I wish someone got me into it at an earlier age. You will learn quickly enough that you should be able to catch some fish and you will pick up skills the more use your fly rod and hang around others that fly fish. After fishing for awhile you will find you do not even have to think about your casting. You just do it.

  7. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Rockledge & Cudjoe Key, Fl.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default

    X2 on the clubs & yes it is not hard but unlearning bad habits is VERY hard. Way better if you can start with some who are familiar. (Please don't jumb on first example) Good luck.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cape May County, NJ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Thanks for all the info...whats the price range on initial start up equipment (ie rod, reel, etc) if you dont have anything???

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Chester, Pa.
    Posts
    4,852

    Default Fly fishing

    There is no question, joining a club or having an accomplished fly angler is THE only way to go. Yes, you can do it on your own but it takes much longer, you develop bad habits that are tuff to break. It leads to frustration and far more "no fish" days than is necassary. Not just casting. Fishing as well. Why and which line? What flies? What kind of presentation? What's line managment? How and why is it so important to "stay in contact" with the fly? Working currents? Working structure? How to get your fly to the "fishy" depth? What's strip strike mean?
    I've taught a great many people how to fly fish, both fresh and salt. Having an experianced angler spend a little time and effort with you will cut your learning curve dramaticaly. DRAMATICALY! I've seen it hundreds of times. Put it this way, the most frequently uttered words by the inexperianced fly rodder, as they're being told or shown something is; "Ohhhh, now I get it! I've read that but didn't know what it meant." Or, "jeeeez, I thought that was so hard or complicated, now I understand."

    About your rod and reel question. Please let everyone know where you intend to fish and what fish you intend to target. totaly different equipment if you say, Tuna, or Striped bass or Smallmouth bass or trout.

    It's all not that hard but experience means a great deal. Not someone that fly fishes once in a while but find someone that lives it and breathes it. A good angler/instructor will have you casting and catching fish the first day out.
    John Yank

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    dover, de.
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Good replies all! I will add it can and probably will be, an exercise in frustration, trying to learn casting on your own.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac13 View Post
    Thanks for all the info...whats the price range on initial start up equipment (ie rod, reel, etc) if you dont have anything???
    Depends on what you want/how much you want to spend...I mean you can get a whole rig for 2-300 or you can spend 700 on the reel alone. I would try out a bunch of rods before committing to one, as everyone is slightly diffent, and nowhere is it as apparent as it is in fly fishing. For instance I like a more classic slower action blank like you would find with glass or bamboo, while my wife has a faster cast and uses fast action fly rods

    For line do you plan on fishing deep running fish or hunting near the surface, what kind of fish as well as fly choice will define the line weight and style. For instance on the rod I use for dry flies and smaller nymphs it has a longer front taper so I can drop a #20 dry fly without so much as a ripple...but to throw bugs for bass or salmon I use a shorter front taper to punch the flies through the air.
    Last edited by nj05nismo; 02-09-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy784 View Post
    There is no question, joining a club or having an accomplished fly angler is THE only way to go. Yes, you can do it on your own but it takes much longer, you develop bad habits that are tuff to break. It leads to frustration and far more "no fish" days than is necassary. Not just casting. Fishing as well. Why and which line? What flies? What kind of presentation? What's line managment? How and why is it so important to "stay in contact" with the fly? Working currents? Working structure? How to get your fly to the "fishy" depth? What's strip strike mean?
    I've taught a great many people how to fly fish, both fresh and salt. Having an experianced angler spend a little time and effort with you will cut your learning curve dramaticaly. DRAMATICALY! I've seen it hundreds of times. Put it this way, the most frequently uttered words by the inexperianced fly rodder, as they're being told or shown something is; "Ohhhh, now I get it! I've read that but didn't know what it meant." Or, "jeeeez, I thought that was so hard or complicated, now I understand."

    About your rod and reel question. Please let everyone know where you intend to fish and what fish you intend to target. totaly different equipment if you say, Tuna, or Striped bass or Smallmouth bass or trout.

    It's all not that hard but experience means a great deal. Not someone that fly fishes once in a while but find someone that lives it and breathes it. A good angler/instructor will have you casting and catching fish the first day out.
    Mr. Yank is so right with the lessons or someone to guide us through casting a fly rod and understanding fishing with a fly rod. I started out on my own with no supervision but a VHS tape, no youtube at the time and no money for lessons. 30 years later still learning! But we learn something new every day. Not to get off topic but if you try to play a round of golf for the first time and then take lessons from a pro, you cut 30 strokes off your game. My suggestions to all is get your self a fly rod outfit get familiar with it and take lessons if you have the time and money. Remember fishing is fishing what’s the worst that can happen.

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cape May County, NJ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Are there any places close to Cape May County that sell fly fishing gear (rods, etc)? I would like to check it out as I have many questions

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    EHT NJ
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Buy a flyrod and learn how to do some basic casts, look for some videos online..

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cape May N.J.
    Posts
    7,669

    Default

    BigMac Most fly clubs have free books and videos available to their members. Our South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers as a good amount. If you would like to check our club out our next meeting is this Thursday night at 7:00 pm at the Bay Center in Ocean City. You are welcome to come as a guest. See what we are about.

  16. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cape May County, NJ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    BigMac Most fly clubs have free books and videos available to their members. Our South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers as a good amount. If you would like to check our club out our next meeting is this Thursday night at 7:00 pm at the Bay Center in Ocean City. You are welcome to come as a guest. See what we are about.
    Thanks it sounds good, unfortunately I am unable to make the meeting? Dont have a lot free time right now but im hoping things start looking up by spring

  17. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Something that you also may want to check is the individual brands of fly poles. If you visit The Promenade at Sagemore in Marlton NJ there is also an Orvis store in the same shopping center Both offer casting classes, but also allow a chance to see on how a pole feels. Suttle differeneces can be felt. From there you could start with one of their beginner sets. (~100 for a full set up of rod, line & reel) A trick that I learned and works for me is to go one line weight up of what the pole is rated for.
    Have Fish? Will Travel!

    "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after.".... Henry David Thoreau

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •