Reports May 1 - May 31 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reports May 1 - May 31

"golden bones" = serious bent rods. Well done. Second-hand report, Deleware bay below wilmington. Friend had 2 to 32 inches.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Just no bait fish to attract and hold fish like we use to have. Seems the only guys catching are all bottom fishing or surf fishing with clam and bunker. I believe the fish that are around are all pretty good size but they are scrounging the bottom looking for something big to sustain themelves. Up until a few years ago there would alway be atlest some signs of bait fish, even if the fish weren't on it. So far this year I have only seen a few token baitfish.

It must be even tough for the dolohins as Saturday there was a good size pod of them up in the back bay behind Wildwood Crest and we don't see them back there too often.

Had a pretty fun day today, freinds down from Montreal joined me on at one of my favorite areas. We saw alot of snook, but couldn't get them to show us any love. The massive bull shark that cruised by us was definately the highlight of the day, imagine the reaction of 2 Canadian tourists watching 400lbs of grey suit cruise by in 2' of water.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I would be a bit scared too. I don't want to mess with sharks in their element! No place to run and hide on those flats. Guess the infection is under control. Was wondering how it was going.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    I would be a bit scared too. I don't want to mess with sharks in their element! No place to run and hide on those flats. Guess the infection is under control. Was wondering how it was going.

I don't have to outrun the shark, I just have to outrun the Canadians.

And the ankle is 100%. I have an ugly scar, but that's about it. I've been fishing hard the last week or so, but mostly just drifting big stuff from the jetty rocks at night behind 400 grains of tungsten. Today was the first time I've been out on the flats since I got hit in February.

Our Poontangle XII is over & most have left. Decent weather enabled many to fish. Tarpon were mostly found around Big Pine & No-Name Keys. Many 40 -60 landed a few triple didgit jumped & entertained. Lots of permit down my way, contents & Sawyer. Many large & all humbling. Pics when I can. Still recovering.
    Ron Conner

Nice to hear Ron. I think I'll come down......DAY AFTER TOMORROW! I'm hoping to be humbled by a couple Permit, I accept the challenge.
    John Yank

Pics from last week-end, sorry not many yet.

Sun rising over Knockemdown Key

Serge (The French Guy) setting up on one of two permit that came in from the Gulf in vicinity of Sawyer.
    Ron Conner

Still having fun with the trout here. Visibility has been fantastic, and until things shape up on the beach this is pretty much the only game I've got. I caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 trout in the 3-5lb class yesterday on a grizzly/white/red #1 beastmaster. At one point I'd gone tight on 9 consecutive casts. I'm being patient, but I really wish our tarpon would start showing up.

Nothing wrong with that kind of action in the mean time. We have had a lot of wind this week so I have been busy working around the new house and getting old house ready for rental season. Did get a couple of reports today that the first blues showed up and even a report that some small weakfish have been caught. Might have to get out and wet a line tomorrow. Been busy trying to tie up loose ends before I get busy with my charter season.

My brother is driving a car up from Florida late next week for an older couple and I hope to get him out for a few bass or something while he is here. He has been also doing well on specks and grey trout down where he lives.

Nice going Bill & good looking fly. Intreresting name.
    Ron Conner

Got out Saturday evening with two lady fly anglers from Pa. The wind didn't cut us any slack. The only place to hide from the strong northeast winds was to go out the inlet and tuck in close to the beach in the lea of jetty.

Being freshwater fly anglers they had a bit of time adjusting to the sinking line but I was able to get them into bluefish and sea herring. Chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line was the ticket. Didn't seem to be any bass around. Even worked the back bay area near sunset. The best we could do is spook a nice bass in 2 feet of water.

Sunday with my brother up from Florida I wanted to get him out but it was even windier. Ended up going freshwater fishing and got a couple of pickerel and largemouth on mickey finn orange/yellow.

Monday morning after dropping my brother off at the Airport for his trip home I stopped and at 6:30 am fished with a couple of guys from the fly club at a beach area close to an inlet where I got a throwback striper on a chartreuse buck tail deceiver using intermediate line and missed a fluke.

One of the others got a blue and nice chunky weakfish using pretty much the same type of fly. We fished through a couple of rain showers and had a thunderstorm pass to our north and we quit around 9:00 am.

Got some pictures but I am in the process of changing computers at the house for rental season and could not get into the programs that I needed.

Hope to be back to normal by next week sometime.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 05-24-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Default Unexpected Good Fishing Trip

Unexpected good fishing night. Today was the first nice weather day that we have had in a while, but I had no trip schedules and put in a full day moving stuff over to the new house.

After dinner I decided to take a ride to the Point. Really wasn't planning to fish but I hadn't been over there in a while.

Got there around 8:00 pm and with the incoming tide conditions looked good. Had intermediate rod in the car from yesterday and a box of flies. No camera and no stripping basket. Without the stripping basket I could not work any rocks so I worked the beach with a yellow/white clouser.

Caught a 18 1/2 and 21 inch weakies and foul hooked a skate, which I thought was a decent fish till I saw it. Not bad for and hour and half and it was a perfect way to end the day quitting at 9:30. Released both weakies. They were the nicest weakies that I had caught in a while. Did see some others caught along with some sea herring. Maybe the weakies are making a mini come back.

Default Good Night on the Water

After last nights catch of a couple of weakfish, my fly fishing buddys were hot to try for some weakies tonght. Late afternoon with a light wind and slight chance of thunderstorms I decided I would rather chase after stripers then go for the weakies.

Paul decided to hit the surf and Peter came with me in the boat. I started out with chartreuse/white bucktail and caught a keeper size tog and released with the season closed.

A little while later I caught a weakie and Peter got one right after that.

We worked that area and picked up a total of 5 keeper size weakfish and released them and then decided to leave fish to find fish. We were interest in finding some stripers. In our search we caught some blues, one of which I kept for dinner tonight. We also picked up a number of sea herring.

Should of been some bass around as there was a nice strong incoming tide, but there was no sign of bass, baitfish or any bird activity. Finding no bass we headed back to where we caught the weakies and picked up 4 more before heading in.

We left the dock at 5:30 and were back at the dock at 8:30. It was the best weakfishing that I have seen in years. Might of been at the right place at the right time as I believe the fish were spawning. Each time we reeled in a weakie there would be 3 to 5 fish following it to the surface. It would of been reel easy to net two or three fish. The fish were 17 to 20 inches long and we released them all.

Was surprised there were no stripers around as they are usually the easiest fish to find. I think it is going to be a strange year.

Alright Ray! Nice to see you on some fish. Hey good looking weaks, at least they are not extinct in your neck of the woods like you thought.

Who knows, with the way the season is stacking up for you, there might be a sailfish in your future, keep your eyes peeled

Now that'd be a hoot on the 9wt.

O

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in