Reports May 1 - May 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reports May 1 - May 31

Default Reports May 1 - May 31

I do look forward to some good reports this month. Hope you get some better weather than I am having down here. As usual give as much information as possible, time, tide, wind, current, fly and anything else you can supply without giving exact locations.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Ron, give me an email when you get time, cleaning up garage and have things you might be interested in. Ray [email protected]
    Ray Adams

Ron, get that weather thing taken care of, I hear you have connections. Hope to be telling you fish stories face to face soon, less than 2 weeks.
    Nullum gratuitum prandium

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Ray What a surprise. You have mail [email protected]

VF F He calmed the seas once, but he must be busy on other things. Looking forward to sharing fish stories & experiences.
    Ron Conner

Got out a couple of hours this AM. Some sheltered Keys. Doable but did not find anything-(one maybe). Did feel good to get out.
    Ron Conner

Spent the last 10 days in Miami and it was either wind or rain or both. Two trips to the Everglades National Park canceled. Did sneak out with a guide for some night tarpon fly fishing in the Miami harbor. Fished the outgoing tide and hit the bridge and marina shadow lines. Landed a nice 40# tarpon and had a bigger one throw the fly after 3-4 jumps. Lots of opportunities on 30-40 # fish but they just were not interested in the fly. Also caught some moon fish and lady fish, man they have some funny looking fish in Florida.

It has been awhile since I got out fishing with the house move. Did get out for 2 hours this evening. Great weather, good tide, but no baitfish or bird activity. Started getting some small hits on my 4 inch deceiver so I switched over to a jiggie and started catching sea herring. I caught six. A couple were pretty good size. Kept 4 for fluke bait. Tried two creeks in the back and they were dead.

Foureel Bummer about the conditions. It's starting to calm down now just in time for our Poontangle. Who was your guide?
    Ron Conner

Quote Originally Posted by Foureel View Post
    Spent the last 10 days in Miami and it was either wind or rain or both. Two trips to the Everglades National Park canceled. Did sneak out with a guide for some night tarpon fly fishing in the Miami harbor. Fished the outgoing tide and hit the bridge and marina shadow lines. Landed a nice 40# tarpon and had a bigger one throw the fly after 3-4 jumps. Lots of opportunities on 30-40 # fish but they just were not interested in the fly. Also caught some moon fish and lady fish, man they have some funny looking fish in Florida.
    That they do. I actually carry a book, "The Fishes of Florida" so I can ID some of those things. I've caught some weird lookin specimens, especialy when chumming and making bait, primarily pin fish, but some of the things I've caught, I'm afraid to touch.
    John Yank

Fished with a guide out of Port Canaveral casting jigs to lightlines one morning and started catching Jack Crevalle with LOOKDOWNS mixed in. They fight pretty good for such a weird looking fish

Quote Originally Posted by bottom knocker View Post
    Fished with a guide out of Port Canaveral casting jigs to lightlines one morning and started catching Jack Crevalle with LOOKDOWNS mixed in. They fight pretty good for such a weird looking fish

Wow, catchin lookdowns, things are lookinup. Hey.... wait a minute.
    John Yank

Sparse,
    I fished with Dave Hunt again this year. He is a super nice guy and always puts us on fish. Last year we had tarpon in the park up to 90 pounds and lots of small reds and lady fish. Good luck with the poontangle!

Fished the full moon outgoing the past two nights. PLENTY of bunker around but they were happy little campers flitting about in ease.

Nothing pushing them around or harassing them. Fish being taken all over deep on bait, waiting for them to start herding these bunker up and really feeding!

Hope some of you are getting into fish.

O

Default Dismal striper fishing Sat Morn

Was all excited about Saturdays morning charter for stripers. Could not of asked for better conditions. Left the dock at 7:30 am in very heavy fog with very little wind. Went out to the inlet 56.8 degree water and no seas. Best thing was with tog season closed there wasn't a boat to clog up the jetties and not a person on the jetties fishing from land. We were the only boat out there fishing and had a perfect tide too.

Had a husband wife out. He is a semi pro freshwater bass fishermen so he knew how to fish, plus his wife was a good caster too. we worked the rocks and beach front to death for two hours and they only had one bump which might of been a sea herring. We should of at least found a few small bass. Only signs of life of any kind were a few tog spawning and a few dolphins. Other than that it was dead. No birds, no bait and no marks on fish finder.

After working it to death we decided to go in the back and maybe try for some fluke, but by then the wind kicked up and with the wind and the tide going the same direction, we decided to continue the hunt for stripers and worked some creek mouths and point rip lines.

The husband caught one 17 1/2 inch striper. (the one and only fish of the trip.) That is pretty dismal for this time of the year with ideal conditions.

Wow!! that really stinks, Ray.

I still love your pix and fly rod reports. But....... everytime I try to get my hopes up, like the weakfish might come back, or the stripers are on a increase, my old stompin' grounds Cape May only brings tears to my eyes!
    Every year it seems to get worse and worse!
    I purchased a float tube and I take my 3wt Helios and catch near 100 big bluegills in a clean lake. I tie all my own stuff, and when I want a big fish on a fly...... I take my 8wt and catch some "golden bones" or as some call them "poor man's bonefish" - the common carp are thick in the Susquehanna and get to be 30lbs. And I don't think about Cape May anymore.
    Plus, no mosquitos up here, and no big greenheads!!

Everything has changed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in