Flyrod Rod Holder for boat?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flyrod Rod Holder for boat?

Default Flyrod Rod Holder for boat?

Looking for a decent rod holder (vertical) for the boat.

I take it apart when not using but want to be able to keep it out ready to fish..

Thanks,

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default Rod holder

By far, the best I've tried, http://stores.theifly.com/StoreFront.bok
    don't like the suction cup type. I've bolted mine in. Had them mounted for at least 5 years, never a problem, never a failure and never hurt a rod.
    John Yank

I like the Scotty fly rod holders. They are adjustable and quick...I have two on my kayak so I can switch between rods when I need to.
    -Jeremy
    Native Prostaff

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Another vote for the ifly holder. I have 6 on my console.

Easy to make a good one yourself. Get 2' threaded well pipe (pvc), cut the female thread off, screw it on to the male thread, turn it 180 degrees, as though screwing it off, cut a notch vertically down to 1' from the bottom. Make the entire holder about 9' long. When you put your rod into the holder you turn the female thread 180 drgrees to close the top of the holder, securing the rod. Rods with large fighting buts may require larger diameter pipe. You can bolt this holder to a piece of 1/2" thick plastic cutting board, about 4"x4" and use velcro to attach it to your boat, then it is easily removable. Also spacing it 1/2" from the side of the boat allows easier turning of the locking (threaded) part.
    Threaded well pipe may be difficult to find, but any well driller (yellow pages) can sell you some.
    Last edited by capt.frankdanner; 05-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Franks comment brings up a good point. A decent fly rod holder isn't just a tube you drop your rod into, it needs that slot and equally important, the rotating collar to secure the rod. I have 6, three on each side of my console. I have a bracket (starboard) that holds all three on one piece. To that bracket I mounted a piece of PVC that fits into the standard sized rod holders allready on the boat. I can simply pull the entire assembly out of the rod holder when not needed. Although, that's never happened.
    John Yank

I mounted mine as individuals between the built in rod holders. I often have other types of rods on board. This allows me to use all the holders.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 01-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Default iFly

x3 (or x4?) for the iFly rod holders. Here's how they look on my boat:

With the rods:

Have fun!

Yup, looks just like mine. I love that set up. I notice you still have the little black pop in fastners on your collars, mine eventualy wore out. I replaced them with pan head nylon screws and nuts, screw head on the inside. The screws work even better. You can then adjust the tension on the collar. The black snaps got to a point where they would allow the collars to "open" on their own in rough water. I contacted Ifly about the problem and my fix. They said they were working on an improvement. You may have the improved version. Mine are about 6 or 7 years old.
    John Yank

John, Thanks for that tip on the collars. I'll keep an eye on them -- they are only a couple of years old so they're in good shape still.

BTW, this place is having a sale on iFly rod holders:

http://www.ezflyfish.com/ifflyrodho.html

I have no affiliation -- except I must have bought something from them in the past, since I get emails from them regularly.

- Fly Rod

Default Holder

I also like the I Fly rod holders. Have 2 on my skiff. While at the AC Boat Show, I pick up one that is removable from Sea Sucker Products. They use Blue Water holders, which are OK but the suction portion design is great for quick removable from any way you want to use them.

Ram mount without a doubt, its a little tight if you have anything bigger than a 9 wt reel.

I use the du-bro wall-mount type. but you do have to screw the 2 halves into a flat surface on the console..... cheap and simple. never had a rod come out either....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in